Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Disconnecting gas when moving out of the rental property...Origin Company

Disconnecting gas when moving out of the rental property...Origin Company

Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Disconnecting gas when moving out of the rental property...Origin Company

Hello all,

I have just moved out of a rental property and obviously asked Origin Company to disconnect the gas when moving out. However, after I moved out, the real estate agent gave me a list of a few further cleanings to be done. The gas was supposed to be disconnected on last Wednesday, but when I returned to the property to do some more cleanings on Friday, I noticed the gas is still connected. Logically I thought the gas company forgot to disconnect the gas in my property and that the bill was still under my name, so I felt free to use gas a little bit to have warm water for the cleanings etc.

But when I called Origin again to inform them the gas in the property was still connected, they told me that they didn't actually disconnect the gas, they just did a meter reading on Wednesday and sent me the final bill.

So I am wondering who will pay for the price of the gas I used on Friday? I don't have access to my mailbox in that apartment anymore and I will miss any further bills they possibly send me in next month.

Thank you!

Last edited by Storm Petrel; Sep 4th 2011 at 11:37 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:16 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Disconnecting gas when moving out of the rental property...Origin Company

Originally Posted by Storm Petrel
Hello all,

I have just moved out of a rental property and obviously asked Origin Company to disconnect the gas when moving out. However, after I moved out, the real estate agent gave me a list of a few further cleanings to be done. The gas was supposed to be disconnected on last Wednesday, but when I returned to the property to do some more cleanings on Friday, I noticed the gas is still connected. Logically I thought the gas company forgot to disconnect the gas in my property and that the bill was still under my name, so I felt free to use gas a little bit to have warm water for the cleanings etc.

But when I called Origin again to inform them the gas in the property was still connected, they told me that they didn't actually disconnect the gas, they just did a meter reading on Wednesday and sent me the final bill.

So I am wondering who will pay for the price of the gas I used on Friday? I don't have access to my mailbox in that apartment anymore and I will miss any further bills they possibly send me in next month.

Thank you!
You will probably get another bill for the difference between your last read when the new tenant has the meter read.Not worth worrying about,should only be a couple of bucks.If you want to know how much check the meter yourself.Look at your current reading on your bill and the present reading on the meter.Work out how many units you have used and multiply by the rate.Usually around the 22 to 24 cents mark.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Disconnecting gas when moving out of the rental property...Origin Company

Originally Posted by ukecadet
You will probably get another bill for the difference between your last read when the new tenant has the meter read.Not worth worrying about,should only be a couple of bucks.If you want to know how much check the meter yourself.Look at your current reading on your bill and the present reading on the meter.Work out how many units you have used and multiply by the rate.Usually around the 22 to 24 cents mark.
Thank you for the reply.

But is it normal in QLD not to actually disconnect the gas when a tenant moves out? I mean what if the next tenant - deliberately or not - donot call the gas company to connect the gas under their name? Then they can easily use gas under the former tenant!

Am I missing something here?

Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:57 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

No - they rarely 'disconnect'. That's why it's important to keep copies of tenancy agreements so you can prove to the power company when you moved out. It can also work the other way - if you move in and don't do meter readings straight away you can end up paying for previous tenants use.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:58 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt they'll do that.

The tenant has notified the company of the last day they require service and the gas company have taken a reading. I'd say his liability ends there.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I doubt they'll do that.

The tenant has notified the company of the last day they require service and the gas company have taken a reading. I'd say his liability ends there.
But they have used gas after the date of the last requested reading.Ergo they have a responsibility to pay.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:18 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

But they have used gas after the date of the last requested reading.Ergo they have a responsibility to pay.
The gas supplier had a responsibility to ensure that no one else (such as a new tenant/landlord/squatter) was able to use the gas supply without creating an account. Ergo they have no one to blame but themselves for leaving the gas supply active.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:32 am

The gas supplier had a responsibility to ensure that no one else (such as a new tenant/landlord/squatter) was able to use the gas supply without creating an account. Ergo they have no one to blame but themselves for leaving the gas supply active.
WRONG
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I'd doubt they'll even notice for such small usage.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:27 am
Just Joined

WRONG
I'd say morally wrong but technically right
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:31 am
Officially Bewildered

WRONG
HOW WOULD THEY EVEN PROVE IT WAS THE OP?

(see, not only can I shout, I can do it louder than you)
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:37 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Dreamy;9601118]HOW WOULD THEY EVEN PROVE IT WAS THE OP?

Good Point
Old Sep 5th 2011, 12:12 pm

HOW WOULD THEY EVEN PROVE IT WAS THE OP?

(see, not only can I shout, I can do it louder than you)
Are they onto them then?

Last edited by ukecadet; Sep 5th 2011 at 12:20 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
No - they rarely 'disconnect'. That's why it's important to keep copies of tenancy agreements so you can prove to the power company when you moved out. It can also work the other way - if you move in and don't do meter readings straight away you can end up paying for previous tenants use.
As I know after AGL cut my gas off cos they are a bunch of incompetent morons, if they actually disconnect the gas it costs $$ to have it reconnected, and means sending someone round not only to turn it back on but also in some cases a second bloke to check things like hot water systems. Easier and cheaper for everyone to leave it connected.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

When we moved into our new rental a few years back, there was a tag on the gas meter saying do not remove tag or open before contacting Alinta Gas, Called them they asked me the actual meter reading there and then, gave them my details they then told me to take off the tag and open the gas supply, easy peasy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.