Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Disabled people lose out

Disabled people lose out

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Badasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Disabled people lose out

For some time now, I have been enquiring about immigrating to either Oz or NZ and as we all know it is difficult which is quite understandable. Unlike Brit anybody even convicts can come here as there are no boundaries. I agree that Oz and N.Z should have strict rules I just wish Brit had the same policy and because they don't indigenous people are wanting to get out. Unfortunately depending on the disability and for those who care for disabled loved ones tend to lose out when it come to wanting to immigrate overseas because they be a burden upon the state. Whist I quite understand that OZ or N.Z citizens should come first it seems that if one has a disability or cares for someone with a disability its made impossible to immigrate elsewhere or simply regarded as a burden and all hopes are dashed. I am told that I am not the only that has experienced this. I am interested in peoples thoughts even suggestions would be of help.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:14 am
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all
Default Re: Disabled people lose out

Originally Posted by Badasg
I agree that Oz and N.Z should have strict rules I just wish Brit had the same policy
Contact your local UK MP and suggest it.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:54 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

For some time now, I have been enquiring about immigrating to either Oz or NZ and as we all know it is difficult which is quite understandable. Unlike Brit anybody even convicts can come here as there are no boundaries. I agree that Oz and N.Z should have strict rules I just wish Brit had the same policy and because they don't indigenous people are wanting to get out. Unfortunately depending on the disability and for those who care for disabled loved ones tend to lose out when it come to wanting to immigrate overseas because they be a burden upon the state. Whist I quite understand that OZ or N.Z citizens should come first it seems that if one has a disability or cares for someone with a disability its made impossible to immigrate elsewhere or simply regarded as a burden and all hopes are dashed. I am told that I am not the only that has experienced this. I am interested in peoples thoughts even suggestions would be of help.
I think it depends upon how much the diability will cost the health care system in Oz. Not much consellations I know.

Ginny
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

I suppose this depends on whether you think the country should have a welfare state, or not. If one's belief was that a country should support it's population, then it must surely be the 'right' of that population and government to select or control that customer base.

Other countries, eg Singapore, do not have a welfare state. People can move there freely and even enjoy very low tax rates. But they must pay for their services used.

Which choice ?

Graham
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Badasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
I suppose this depends on whether you think the country should have a welfare state, or not. If one's belief was that a country should support it's population, then it must surely be the 'right' of that population and government to select or control that customer base.

Other countries, eg Singapore, do not have a welfare state. People can move there freely and even enjoy very low tax rates. But they must pay for their services used.

Which choice ?

Graham
I do believe that a country should have a welfare state but only for the most vulnerable i.e elderly and disabled the rest can look after themselves. Even if a Oz or N.Z had no welfare state would the disabled still have the right to move there freely?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crawling
Contact your local UK MP and suggest it.

Thanks, I will take your suggestion on board.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe that a country should have a welfare state but only for the most vulnerable i.e elderly and disabled the rest can look after themselves. Even if a Oz or N.Z had no welfare state would the disabled still have the right to move there freely?

Why if no welfare state would anyone with any serious disability want to move there? Couldn't support themselves and nor would the state?

Aus immigration is far from perfect but it's main aim is to allow people in who can benefit the state, it can seem very harsh but that's the way it is! There are ways to fiddle your way in, well unless you have some serious disability (maybe you can take this up with human rights commission if you feel so strongly about about it, but I don't it'll ever change)
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Why if no welfare state would anyone with any serious disability want to move there? Couldn't support themselves and nor would the state?

Aus immigration is far from perfect but it's main aim is to allow people in who can benefit the state, it can seem very harsh but that's the way it is! There are ways to fiddle your way in, well unless you have some serious disability (maybe you can take this up with human rights commission if you feel so strongly about about it, but I don't it'll ever change)
Thanks for your reply,

To answer your question, people who have a disablity depending on what it is can be of great benefit to any counrty i.e Steven Hawkings, David Blunkett and many others. Britain has we know has wonderfull welfare state and does provide help to the vunerable its just a pity that some abled people take the piss out of it. I agree that that most servere cases would be unable to immigrate. Not all disabled people choose nor want to be state dependent and if fact some have a strong work ethic. Sometimes having a welfare state can hold people back. Its a case of having a balance.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply,

To answer your question, people who have a disablity depending on what it is can be of great benefit to any counrty i.e Steven Hawkings, David Blunkett and many others. Britain has we know has wonderfull welfare state and does provide help to the vunerable its just a pity that some abled people take the piss out of it. I agree that that most servere cases would be unable to immigrate. Not all disabled people choose nor want to be state dependent and if fact some have a strong work ethic. Sometimes having a welfare state can hold people back. Its a case of having a balance.
Steve Hawkins is really an exception for a severely disabled person and most people in his condition would be totally dependent on the state and family to support them. I would think that minor diablilities without the need of on going medical treatment would still be excepted Of course people dont choose to be disabled and ependant but unfortunatley we cant decide this and any one of us can end up disabled physically and mentally at any time.

I totally agree with any country not allowing anyone who would be a financial drain into their country. Why would they, they add no benefit. Harsh I know but reality.

Do you know of a person who has moved to UK with a severe disability, I don't. I would think Britain would only allow this on humanatarian grounds. As for immigrants into Britain, I can only say that at least most of them want to work and work bloody hard. I worked in a Depot for a large supermarket and we could not get workers in and to stay, we had to bring in Slovakians and they worked like dogs. Its our own fault that Britain needs to do this.

I do feel thought that Britain should take up the 'no benefits for 2 year policy' as they do here in Oz as obviously a lot are only there for a free ride.

Also I bet the majority of us like the fact that we can move and work freely throughout europe. Wonder what some of those countries feel about Brits taking jobs in their countries.

I am truely sorry that you can't get in because of a dependent and I thank the lord every day that we don't have to deal with this in our family.

Thats my two pence worth.

Jo
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem harsh but when you look at the criteria for obtaining a PR visa to Oz, it is quite tough.

Someone could be a talented brain surgeon, but if they are over 45 and their skill in not MODL, they would not get a visa.

Australia is in the fortunate position to chose only people who are perceived to not cost the state money, and who will contribute hugely to state coffers via their higher bracket tax, are not criminals, are fit and healthy, are young(ish) etc.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Disabled people lose out

Originally Posted by joho
Steve Hawkins is really an exception for a severely disabled person and most people in his condition would be totally dependent on the state and family to support them. I would think that minor diablilities without the need of on going medical treatment would still be excepted Of course people dont choose to be disabled and ependant but unfortunatley we cant decide this and any one of us can end up disabled physically and mentally at any time.

I totally agree with any country not allowing anyone who would be a financial drain into their country. Why would they, they add no benefit. Harsh I know but reality.

Do you know of a person who has moved to UK with a severe disability, I don't. I would think Britain would only allow this on humanatarian grounds. As for immigrants into Britain, I can only say that at least most of them want to work and work bloody hard. I worked in a Depot for a large supermarket and we could not get workers in and to stay, we had to bring in Slovakians and they worked like dogs. Its our own fault that Britain needs to do this.

I do feel thought that Britain should take up the 'no benefits for 2 year policy' as they do here in Oz as obviously a lot are only there for a free ride.

Also I bet the majority of us like the fact that we can move and work freely throughout europe. Wonder what some of those countries feel about Brits taking jobs in their countries.

I am truely sorry that you can't get in because of a dependent and I thank the lord every day that we don't have to deal with this in our family.

Thats my two pence worth.

Jo
Has it happens I do know of one person who moved from Canada to the U.K and she is wheel chair bound. Both Canada and the U.K I am told are good countries for helping disabled people. I agree with most of what you say.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have answered your own thoughts really. No state really wants to take on liabilities. Neither do those paying for the walfare systems via taxes and other charges want financial burden migration and influx. Why should a tax payer have to pay for migrants coming who cant support themselves.

Its not nice. But its a harsh reality. Perhaps consider other EU states which you have a right to access welfare systems in place without a visa courtesy of your EU passport.

I agree completely on the comments regarding the UKs migrant policy. One of the primary reasons I left, however - Australia has its own problems and spends $millions on things which the UK doesnt have to due to its unique population, resources and size.

Different country - different problems but problems there are.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pomster
It does seem harsh but when you look at the criteria for obtaining a PR visa to Oz, it is quite tough.

Someone could be a talented brain surgeon, but if they are over 45 and their skill in not MODL, they would not get a visa.

Australia is in the fortunate position to chose only people who are perceived to not cost the state money, and who will contribute hugely to state coffers via their higher bracket tax, are not criminals, are fit and healthy, are young(ish) etc.

True
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:57 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster

They have a funny way of achieving it all then, Yes they try to only get in people who are not going to be a burden on Oz society and contribute in some way. I'm all for this but once you get here all skilled up your treated very differently, Your skills and experience count for nothing and it's like you just left school at the age of 40. Somtimes either forced to 'retrain' or pay exorbitant trade fees or assesment fees.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Most immigrants to Britain (other than spouses) don't get permanent residence until 5 years have passed. No benefits until then, normally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.