Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dilemma! Please Help!

Dilemma! Please Help!

Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice
Default Dilemma! Please Help!

Hi everyone,
Me and my OH are going to Oz later this year on a 457 visa. I am a midwife and have been nominated by a hospital in Brisbane. They have started the nomination procedure off and I have been allocated a case officer and have filled my own visa application in, just waiting for meds. Now, here's the thing - all my in laws live in Surfers Paradise and one of the reasons we are going is to spend time with them, particularly my mother in law, who is terminally ill. I would prefer to be working in a hospital in Surfer's as it is closer (and we will be living with my sister in law when we first arrive). One hospital has expressed a keen interest in employing me, but seem's to be dragging their heels a bit, they have seemed unsure of the whole process, I have told them how it's done! They keep emailing me saying they really want me there and they are sorting things. Brisbane hospital seem so professional compared to the Surfers hospital. However, now Surfers hospital have given me the name and number of somebody in head office who wants to talk to me and get the ball rolling, they say they are really looking forward to employing me. My sister in law reckons I will be better working in Surfers as Brisbane is quite a way to travel on a daily basis. My dilemma is do I scrap Brisbane after all they have done already? Or do I stay with them and continue with my application? Also, will I have to start a complete new visa application and pay the charge again? I am sorry this is so long winded, I thought this was all going to be so simple, but now I'm really getting stressed over the whole thing. My gut instinct is to stay with Brisbane, but I don't want to regret it when I get there and have a long commute every day!!
I would be grateful for any advice!
Thanks Carol
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dilemma! Please Help!

If you change your sponsor you will have to start a new visa application.
Could you carry on with the Brisbane job for now, then apply for your skilled independent visa when you arrive? (Then you can change jobs if you want to)

Good luck!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that if you are on a 457 visa you can not change your job as you are effectively tied to your sponsor.....whether you like it or not.

You can move if another employer agrees to sponsor you but that will mean more hassle eventually.

As a nurse an independent visa is pretty easy to get and may save a lot of problems later.

G
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:59 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

If I was you I would stick with Brisbain and apply for your perm visa once i arrived. Once had perm visa could move job without any issue. If I had been messed around would be nervous that something could go wrong.

I did have some clients once who moved hospitals on a temporary visa. It was a private hospital though and both ran by the same health provider.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
If I was you I would stick with Brisbain and apply for your perm visa once i arrived.
Why wait that long?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

Thanks for your reply's and advice. I think that has pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, I will probally stick with Brisbane. Sometimes you just need another person's point of view to make things clear. I am not eligible to apply for a permant visa as I am 47!!!