Dilemma "kids"

Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:29 am
rudo1ph

Hi Lindsey

Try having a look at this document

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/cpr/ParentsGuide.pdf

it should give you all the info you need. At a quick glance it looks like she just makes it into year 2 - she will be one of the youngest in her year - looks like the cut off date it the end of June - ie she needs to be 7 yrs and 6 months old when she starts year 2. I know you say she will be starting year 2 in the UK in August so it will seem like she is repeating, but really son't worry. My daughter had totally completed year 2 in the UK - she was not at the bottom of the class either - she scored level 3 in her English and Maths SATS. But she joined the grade one class here in Oz last October. She is now in year 2. OK, so the work is easy, but socially she is with kids who are the same age (and older), and she is happy. If we went back to the UK (not planning to!!) she would either have to have make up classes or go back a year, but I'm not too worried about that. Hope that helps

Good Luck

Rudi

Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:12 pm
ABCDiamond

My daughter was 7yrs and 7 months old when she started year 3 here.

Old Jun 21st 2004, 2:37 pm
rudo1ph

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
My daughter was 7yrs and 7 months old when she started year 3 here.
Yep - the rules are different in Queensland. The cut off date is December, not June (Perth) July (NSW). So in fact, my daughter (birthday August) who is in yr 2 in NSW would be in yr 3 in Queensland.

Old Jun 21st 2004, 4:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by rudo1ph
Yep - the rules are different in Queensland. The cut off date is December, not June (Perth) July (NSW). So in fact, my daughter (birthday August) who is in yr 2 in NSW would be in yr 3 in Queensland.
She actually started school in NSW, and left NSW at the end of year 1, in Dec 2002 and then started Year 2 in QLD in Jan 2003.

So if we had stayed in NSW, she would have still been at that same level.

ie: She started Year 1 in NSW at age 5yrs and 7 months, and at age 6yrs and 7 months was going into year 2 in either NSW or QLD.
I suppose if she had have been born 2 months later it may have been different.

Old Jun 21st 2004, 4:32 pm
rudo1ph

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
She actually started school in NSW, and left NSW at the end of year 1, in Dec 2002 and then started Year 2 in QLD in Jan 2003.

So if we had stayed in NSW, she would have still been at that same level.

ie: She started Year 1 in NSW at age 5yrs and 7 months, and at age 6yrs and 7 months was going into year 2 in either NSW or QLD.
I suppose if she had have been born 2 months later it may have been different.

Is her birthday before 31st July?