Dilemma "kids"

Old Jun 18th 2004, 10:14 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Dilemma "kids"

We sent meds off and were received early last week

We are on a 136 skilled ind visa application

Awaiting bond request which should be approx 2nd week July

Will send bond off and await Passports request.

This should take us we think to end of August !!

Dilemma !!!!!

My youngest is now 11 and due to go to senior school in Sept. Uniforms and all

Do we leave getting a uniform, and not send him to school, as we want to move to oz immediately visas are granted.

Bearing in mind school yr system is 1 yr behind uk system.

Shove him in school in oz, and then he will break in December for summer hols, etc !!!

Or do we send him to senior school here, with uniform, argghhh nother expense, and then pull him out couple of weeks into 1st term

Is it legal not to send your kids to school given the circumstances....???

Any help muchly appreciated
Old Jun 18th 2004, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Would advise you going to have a chat at new school before they break up for summer.

Do you have friend with older child at that school, maybe lend you some uniform until you know what is happening. Explain to him need for 2nd hand uniform and promise to get new immediately if everything falls through (God forbid)

Unless it really is only a matter of a couple of weeks into the new school term before you move I am sure you have to attend school.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Kirsty R is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree. Go and have a word with the senior school.we have a 4 yr old who was due to start school in Sept. We are flying mid Sept and so spoke to nursery etc who told us just to leave it. He's not enrolled at any school!
Good luck
Kirsty
Old Jun 18th 2004, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Kirsty R is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought! It may be worth giving you local LEA/ County Council a call and asking them.They can give you advice too.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 11:06 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Dilemma "kids"

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Will send bond off and await Passports
At what age do they start school in the UK ?
and do they start in Reception, and then go into year 1 ?

Old Jun 18th 2004, 12:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Any help muchly appreciated [/QUOTE]

If you have explained to the school before end of summer term, and then go half way through autumn term, I'd have no problems keeping him at home for a couple of extra weeks. The LEA wouldn't have a problem and if they did so what, by the time they work it out you will have gone anyway. Go for it!!!
Old Jun 18th 2004, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

As you are so far into the process and will probably have your visas by end of August anyway I personally think leave him off school for the few weeks if necessary. It's traumatic enough starting a new school without him having to do it twice in a very short period of time.

Put him to better use doing the packing!
Any luck with selling the house?

CK
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

debsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CK2B
As you are so far into the process and will probably have your visas by end of August anyway I personally think leave him off school for the few weeks if necessary. It's traumatic enough starting a new school without him having to do it twice in a very short period of time.

Put him to better use doing the packing!
Any luck with selling the house?

CK
Hi its Mrs Timber here

I'm with you he would be good to help with packing and his older brother has spare uniform but what the heck!!

We should fingers crossed have a definate idea before then anyway.

i'm with you the lickle buggar can help mummy

regards

Debs
Old Jun 20th 2004, 11:24 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

What a dilemma!

We're in a similar boat. Our daughter 11 is due to go to Sec School in Sept...we decided to put her in and got second hand uniform as it would only be about 2 months max that she is there.

Son will be 15 then and he's growing out of his uniform so we have same problem with him and new clothes.

If it's only for a few weeks at most then I think that you can keep them at home and give them a home education for that period. You may have to back it up to the LEA though with a statement saying thats what you will be doing as they are still effectively under UK law and they are supposed to attend school or have an education.

There are a lot of kids who are educated at home and they obviously get around this problem.

For ours they will most likely leave in beginning Nov and have a long 'holiday' travelling until Jan hen the will go to school in Oz.

They are gutted! Two summer holidays within 6 months! tish...it's a tough life being a kid!!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:21 am
rudo1ph

it actually depends on where your child's bithday falls and which state you are in.......

My daughter would have started school last September in the UK, but actually started here in Febraury..........her birthday is Februrary. So she is only 6 months "behind"

My other daughter has her birthday in August - so she just makes it into her year in the UK and just misses her year here - so yes, she has gone down a year.

We had the choice of boosting her up a year if we wanted to but decided not to. So many parents here (still trying to work this one out) keep their children back a year so they start school when the are five rather than 4. We felt she would be with children not only a year older, but also 2 years older and socially, particularly when she was older, this would be a problem.

Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:38 am
DarrenD

Id talk to the school, but bear in mind they're now fining parents for not sending kids to school, so unless your timing is spot on, you could face a fine or even imprisonment :-(

Funny how it doesnt work the other way around when theres INSET days etc

Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:48 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
We sent meds off and were received early last week

We are on a 136 skilled ind visa application

Awaiting bond request which should be approx 2nd week July

Will send bond off and await Passports request.

This should take us we think to end of August !!

Dilemma !!!!!

My youngest is now 11 and due to go to senior school in Sept. Uniforms and all

Do we leave getting a uniform, and not send him to school, as we want to move to oz immediately visas are granted.

Shove him in school in oz, and then he will break in December for summer hols, etc !!!

Or do we send him to senior school here, with uniform, argghhh nother expense, and then pull him out couple of weeks into 1st term

Any help muchly appreciated
Hi

Same boat too. We have a 17 year old and 13 year old, hoping to be in Perth sometime in September. Our children are not going back to their schoo;s in this country but as a matter of courtesy we are informing the LEA and the school of our plans.

Once we arrive in Oz thou our children are having a week holiday then they are straight into school. For 2 reasons 1, it is illegal to keep children out of education especially when the new term doesn't start till Feb next year and that wouyld mean nearly 6 months out of education and 2, it will get them into the swing of things straight away whilst making friends as we don't want them being isolated over the long summer break.

Hope this helps

Walla
Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

I understand the reasoning for it being illegal not to send a child to school but my duaghter was 6 in May so she will be starting in year 2 here in September. We are hoping to leave for Perth in November taking about 5 weeks to get there. We will probably arrive 2nd week in December.

1. Surely it's not worth her starting school until February, would you agree.

2. Could someone advise which school year she will be going into in Feb?

She will be going to school here between Sept and Nov, hopefully she won't have grown too much and can keep old uniform.

Lindsey
Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:21 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by lindseyden
I understand the reasoning for it being illegal not to send a child to school but my duaghter was 6 in May so she will be starting in year 2 here in September. We are hoping to leave for Perth in November taking about 5 weeks to get there. We will probably arrive 2nd week in December.

1. Surely it's not worth her starting school until February, would you agree.

2. Could someone advise which school year she will be going into in Feb?

She will be going to school here between Sept and Nov, hopefully she won't have grown too much and can keep old uniform.

Lindsey

Hi Lindsey

Which state are you going to? If she was in NSW then she would be starting in grade 2 in February. As I mentioned in a previous post - lots of parents hold their children back a year so you will find that she is one of the youngest in her class probably.

We arrived here in August last year and my daughter did not start school until October. We had not decided which suburb we would be living in and so did not want her to start in one school, only to have to move a few weeks later when we bought a house.

Rudi

Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by rudo1ph
Hi Lindsey

Which state are you going to? If she was in NSW then she would be starting in grade 2 in February. As I mentioned in a previous post - lots of parents hold their children back a year so you will find that she is one of the youngest in her class probably.

We arrived here in August last year and my daughter did not start school until October. We had not decided which suburb we would be living in and so did not want her to start in one school, only to have to move a few weeks later when we bought a house.

Rudi
Hi Rudi

we're going to Perth, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference. She will be in year 2 in UK as of September.

Lindsey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.