Dilema

Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Question Dilema

I'd like to hear from anyone who has been in this situation or similar ...

Due to our middle son's heart condition we may only get 6 months to validate rather than the usual year and therefore we'd need to validate then return here to sell up etc.

Our dilema is this, our eldest son is currently doing is first year of the 2 year GCSE studies and we were wondering if (a) once we get back from validating should we hold fast in the UK until July 2008 so that he can take his GCSEs or (b) get over to Oz asap so that he can get into the Oz education system as soon as possible.

Has anyone else been in this situation and what did you do? Whatever your decision, do/did you feel you made the right one?

Thanks

Karen
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:35 pm

staceylhughes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dilema

This may sound like a negative post but it's not.

The move is all about timing.

My cousin moved to Oz when she was 16 and she had a really really difficult time. She was too old for school, too young to work so for 6 months, whilst she waited for the school year to start (so she could go to college) she was really miserable and friendless.

It's important that you consider what the family can do when they get out there. My aunt and uncle got jobs, the younger brother started school, made lots of new friends and loved Oz from the minute he arrived. So it was only the 16 year old who felt a bit lost.

16 is a funny age to move so be careful and try to go when either the school term is not too far off or go before the GCSEs so your son will have the opportunity to go to school in Australia and do the ozzie qualifications.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Another idea - Have you any idea how long you (and your son) will stay in Australia? If it is intended to be a permanent move then it might make more sense for your son to achieve Australian qualifications, whilst also making friends that may remain mates for life.
If it is only for a few years, then GCSEs might be the best thing for him.

Is there any reason to think that he would benefit from a fresh start? Is he happy in the UK?

Do whatever YOU think is best for HIM. (Speaking from personal experience, I wish my parents had given me less choice about my schooling. They were in a much better position to judge it all than I was! If I could go back and change it I would not make the same decisions again.)
Old Dec 28th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: Dilema

Many thanks to you both for your replies

We definitely intend to make the move to Oz a permanent one but I guess you never truly know what is going to happen when you emigrate. We all know only too well how it sometimes isn't all its cracked up to be and then a return to the UK would be inevitable.

I am erring more to the option of getting out there asap to get everyone settled into the new way of life but if anyone has another spin on this type of issue we'd really appreciate your views.

Kind regards
Karen
Old Dec 28th 2006, 11:48 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Many thanks to you both for your replies

We definitely intend to make the move to Oz a permanent one but I guess you never truly know what is going to happen when you emigrate. We all know only too well how it sometimes isn't all its cracked up to be and then a return to the UK would be inevitable.

I am erring more to the option of getting out there asap to get everyone settled into the new way of life but if anyone has another spin on this type of issue we'd really appreciate your views.

Kind regards
Karen
We came out here just before our lad was able to take his GCSE's and have no regrets. He started school here in Aus at 15 1/2 and after a difficult time settling in he then made some really good Aussie mates.

In Aus they stay at school till they are 18 so he managed to get the right school results therefore not having GCSE's was of no detriment.

In summary he managed to meet good friends at school, he learned to fit in with the cultural differences and he managed to gain good school results so not taking GCSE's was of no detriment.

Good luck
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
We came out here just before our lad was able to take his GCSE's and have no regrets. He started school here in Aus at 15 1/2 and after a difficult time settling in he then made some really good Aussie mates.

In Aus they stay at school till they are 18 so he managed to get the right school results therefore not having GCSE's was of no detriment.

In summary he managed to meet good friends at school, he learned to fit in with the cultural differences and he managed to gain good school results so not taking GCSE's was of no detriment.

Good luck
Thank you for your reply.

I know this issue will be a personal thing for us/Sam in the end but hearing other peoples views and experiences really does help to see the big picture.

Thanks again.

Kind regards
Karen x
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how common IB is in Oz, but if there was a school there that offered it then it is probably the best internationally-recognised qualification.

The only problem with taking him to Oz for exams is that if he were to return then his quals might not be recongnised - but then plenty of Aussies come to the UK, so I don't think it's an insurmountable problem.
There would be significant advantages in taking him asap (IMO) in that he would have a chance to make some really good mates whilst at school - it would be much harder for him as an 18 year old, missing his UK mates and having no obvious way to make new friends in Oz.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Hi Karen

Most people I know who have children this age would recommend coming over as soon as possible so the teenagers can make friends at school. My son had just started his GCSE's in Year 10 and then went straight into Year 10 again here. It has worked well for him as he has made friends easily and has adapted very well.

My friend's son was 17 years old when they emigrated. He had got good grades in his GCSE's in the UK and went straight into Year 12 here. Years 11 and 12 are the senior years here and at the end you can achieve an OP score that is required if you want to go to University. His school gave him some OP points for the GCSE's he had already achieved, so he still got a fairly good OP score (I have heard that some schools may not be happy to let a pupil just complete one year of senior school). However, the main problem with bringing older teenagers over is that this boy had a girlfriend and he has now gone back to the UK as he was missing her so much.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Kathy
Old Dec 29th 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

sarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I don't know how common IB is in Oz, but if there was a school there that offered it then it is probably the best internationally-recognised qualification.

The only problem with taking him to Oz for exams is that if he were to return then his quals might not be recongnised - but then plenty of Aussies come to the UK, so I don't think it's an insurmountable problem.
There would be significant advantages in taking him asap (IMO) in that he would have a chance to make some really good mates whilst at school - it would be much harder for him as an 18 year old, missing his UK mates and having no obvious way to make new friends in Oz.

Just a thought the other way are GCSE's recognised in Oz.

Sarah
Old Dec 29th 2006, 2:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah-jayne
Just a thought the other way are GCSE's recognised in Oz.
In principle yes, but in practise any qualification loses some "value" when taken to another country.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by esperanza
Thanks everyone for your comments.

esperanza - Can I ask what 'IB' is that you mention in your post, its not something I am familiar with.

Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Thanks everyone for your comments.

esperanza - Can I ask what 'IB' is that you mention in your post, its not something I am familiar with.

Thanks
Course you can - International Baccalaureate (have added in extra vowels wherever I wasn't sure, so I've definitely spelt it incorrectly!)
It's common in Europe and is becoming more popular in the UK.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 5:26 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think you should go with your gut instinct - You know your son better than anyone.
Our son will have been in secondary school here for one term when we plan to move but I want to get there for the beginning of the school year as I think that's the easiest time to fit in rather than when the class friendships have already formed. Good luck to you....
Old Dec 31st 2006, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Babycatcher

Personally I think you should go with your gut instinct - You know your son better than anyone.
Our son will have been in secondary school here for one term when we plan to move but I want to get there for the beginning of the school year as I think that's the easiest time to fit in rather than when the class friendships have already formed. Good luck to you....
Hi,

We'd like to get out there for the start of the school year too for the same reason as yourselves, try and make the transition as smooth as possible for the boys.

Good luck

Karen

p.s. we're only about 30 mins from Northampton
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:29 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. we're only about 30 mins from Northampton [/QUOTE]

Whereabouts are you? We are on the A508 from Stony Stratford to Northampton.
When you planning on leaving this happy land?