Reload this Page >

Digital TV Channels in NZ?

Wikiposts

Digital TV Channels in NZ?

Old Aug 29th 2003, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Digital TV Channels in NZ?

Probably a silly question but are there any free-to-view digital channels in NZ (or likely to be in the near future? Is it worth taking a free-to-view receiver?

Thanks,
Ben
Old Aug 29th 2003, 7:03 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Digital TV Channels in NZ?

Originally posted by Ben.M
Probably a silly question but are there any free-to-view digital channels in NZ (or likely to be in the near future? Is it worth taking a free-to-view receiver?

Thanks,
Ben
Can't really help here except to say they were talking about free-to-air digital TV on the radio the other day - but I wasn't listening properly - SORRY! Maybe though if you had a trawl through some NZ news sites you might find something seeing as they have been talking about it recently.

Paula
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:51 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

You will get only a few i'm told.Sky over here in NZ is the same as Aus...the sky news is Aus based,not NZ based.On the whole it is a very poor comparrison to the UK system.Theres no interaction service and only 2 music channels,4 sport channels and loads of other things that usually on the UK system that are not here.Its not possible to get Sky from the UK either...for obvious reasons....so i'm told...sorry i only watch espn,so i don't know really
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Are they free-to-view channels via the TV aerial or do you need a satellite dish?

Ben
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Digital TV Channels in NZ?

Thanks,
Ben
Thought the standard TV channels were poor and the Sky was a poor imitation. As for free have a look here, not quite what yiu wanted re your receiver though
http://www.hooktech.co.nz/
LMS
Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:08 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Are they free-to-view channels via the TV aerial or do you need a satellite dish?

Ben
We have sky digital (with dish). As far as I am aware there is no free-to-air digital. think thats what they were talking about on the radio, the fact that it should be coming soon, I think!

Paula
Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses. I think the answer is that the digital receiver is of no use in NZ so I'll add it to the list of things to sell before I go...

Ben
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

The basic sky package for digital TV over here in NZ is $38 per month. If you dont have a dish that will cost $200 or 300 to install depending on whether they are running cheap dish install promotions or not. basic sky gives you the 6 basic NZ channels, E entertainment and a cooking come lifestyle type channel. a sports channel(american) 3 nature/science type channels, cnn, Sky news BBC. For another $20 or so you can get a decent sports or movies channel or $40 for both.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:44 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
The basic sky package for digital TV over here in NZ is $38 per month. If you dont have a dish that will cost $200 or 300 to install depending on whether they are running cheap dish install promotions or not. basic sky gives you the 6 basic NZ channels, E entertainment and a cooking come lifestyle type channel. a sports channel(american) 3 nature/science type channels, cnn, Sky news BBC. For another $20 or so you can get a decent sports or movies channel or $40 for both.
You can also get CNN and CNBC free of charge.