British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   digital top box question... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/digital-top-box-question-410260/)

wayne/kerrie Nov 26th 2006 8:24 pm

digital top box question...

hi another one here who can not take anymore aussie tv looking at foxtel but what channals does a digital top box have :confused:

I don't really want to go into a contract with anyone so just looking at ways i don't have too cheers :beer:

Karen72 Nov 26th 2006 8:26 pm

Re: digital top box question...

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
hi another one here who can not take anymore aussie tv looking at foxtel but what channals does a digital top box have :confused:

I don't really want to go into a contract with anyone so just looking at ways i don't have too cheers :beer:

Hi just wondered what digital top box was, does it need a dish or wires through walls, etc.???? (I'm not very technical!)

matt-and-jenny Nov 26th 2006 8:29 pm

Hey
Digital telly hasn't really taken off here. You get ABC2 and SBS news channel (which is all foreign news).
J.

matt-and-jenny Nov 26th 2006 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Karen72
Hi just wondered what digital top box was, does it need a dish or wires through walls, etc.???? (I'm not very technical!)

Instead of receiving your telly channels the old analogue way, you connect your outside aerial to a digital receiver. Means better reception usually, and a couple of extra channels.
J. :)

wayne/kerrie Nov 26th 2006 8:32 pm

:D thanks so it does not sound that good hoping it would have more channals :( :)

CHnJ Nov 26th 2006 8:51 pm

:D thanks so it does not sound that good hoping it would have more channals :( :)

For those with little round kids it means you can get ABC kids for 12 hours!

mark213 Nov 26th 2006 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by CHnJ
For those with little round kids it means you can get ABC kids for 12 hours!

DTV also allows you to get a PVR so you can record what you actually want to watch. With so little choice its the only way!

wayne/kerrie Nov 26th 2006 9:22 pm

ok its sounding a little better what about uktv or it that pushing it :D

We have not check out to see if our tv from th uk works yet still using the rented one but if the sounds does not work i have been told that the top box will sort it ?????? sorry to ask i have no idea :confused:

dc1 Nov 26th 2006 9:25 pm

We have not check out to see if our tv from th uk works yet still using the rented one but if the sounds does not work i have been told that the top box will sort it ?????? sorry to ask i have no idea :confused:

I was told at the weekend that there will not be many more Chanel's on set to boxes as the government see that more Chanel's should be through pay for TV!

Derek

welshpom Nov 26th 2006 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by mark213
DTV also allows you to get a PVR so you can record what you actually want to watch. With so little choice its the only way!

You also get to fast forward the ads. I refuse to watch films on commercial channels here unless I've recorded it. The ad breaks come thick and fast and ruin most films.

ohippy Nov 27th 2006 12:18 am

Our digibox only gives us the same channels as normal but lots of different versions of them !! Wonderful :D

BadgeIsBack Nov 27th 2006 12:31 am

If memory serves, there lots of good music on ABC2.

themerlin Nov 27th 2006 12:37 am

You get the same + ABC2.

But the picture is better and it's in widescreen.

The Government has stopped the commercial station broadcasting more then one channel because they said it would dilute the content, but i think this is about to change.

slipshot Nov 27th 2006 10:29 am

To answer your question, your UK TV will receive one or two of the channels but others will not be available in any decent quality. However, you can use your UK TV as long as you use a local tuner - by this I mean a set top box or a Foxtel box - another tuner that basically will plug into your SCART sockets (as UK TV's use these a lot more than Australian ones) or your standard AV sockets and thus bypass the tuner issues. As long as you do this it will work fine as it's still PAL based.

Hope this makes sense and answers the question...

Andy

CHnJ Nov 27th 2006 10:39 am

Originally Posted by welshpom
You also get to fast forward the ads. I refuse to watch films on commercial channels here unless I've recorded it. The ad breaks come thick and fast and ruin most films.

Then who's going to pay for new programming?