Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Digital cameras - advice please!

Wikiposts

Digital cameras - advice please!

Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:56 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a JVC GC-X1 3.3 mega pixels camera on my way through Sing to Aus when I was coming just to visit. I got it in one of the airport shops and it worked out about 2/3 the price it would have been here in Aus and way cheaper than in the UK, but that was 3 years ago. If you have time in Sing to go haggle you should find a bargain - especially if you know what you want, but with a 2 hr stopover you may end up not finding what you want.
Cheers,
Old Jul 18th 2003, 4:30 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I found Singapore very cheap for cameras and memory etc. We only stopped there briefly en route to Bangkok where I expected it to be even cheaper. It wasn't the case unfortunately.
I use a sony p9 for underwater stuff and my old cannon c300 for everything else both are excellent for my limited photography skills. I find Jessops will beat any advertised price in the UK inc the loss leaders in the camera mag ads.
http://www.jessops.com/shop.cfm
Old Jul 18th 2003, 4:41 am
Adelaide bound

fishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nice

Get a canon powershot S45, Nuff said, you can close this topic now
Old Jul 18th 2003, 8:29 am
port kennedy dec 2003

carolerussell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Try this....bought from them b4...very good :

http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co....rands-Fuji.htm

£188

that price includes delivery and vat.....

And thats with a UK guarantee, manual etc...

Cheers

PEte.
Cheers Pete, Just ordered a fujifinefix A303 from internetcamerasdirect, first time I've ever bought anything through the internet. Good reviews for this camera - also ordered extra 64mb card for it and case, Thanks again.
Carole.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 8:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly you're better off buying near home and knowing that even if you paid a few pounds more you can take the thing back to them if necessary! I used to get electronics in Bangkok, KL, Singapore and the like when they were VERY much cheaper but several times I had to take them back and had to wait until I was passing through again.
PeteY said don't get a model which uses AA cells - I think he's completely wrong! Any consumer item which uses proprietary batteries runs the - very strong - risk of them not being made or available when the originals run out of oomph. And they always do after a year or two. NiMh AA cells are universally available, cheap and are very unlikely to go out of production any time soon. Be warned! I have a portable CD (Sony) and a mobile - both useless after a couple of years because I can't get the rechargeable batteries any more.
Regards
Old Jul 20th 2003, 12:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by fishyben
Get a canon powershot S45, Nuff said, you can close this topic now
Agreed. I got one of these in Singapore (with a Canon underwater housing) and it is the absolute dogs bollocks.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Vanou is an unknown quantity at this point

takes compactflash memory cards NO OTHER TYPE. Definatly not smartmedia.

Pete. [/QUOTE]

Hi Pete!
Could you please explain why you especialy don't recommand smartmedia memory cards? What's wrong with them?
How are the compactflash memory cards better?
Thanx
Vanessa
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:18 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hi Pete!
Could you please explain why you especialy don't recommand smartmedia memory cards? What's wrong with them?
How are the compactflash memory cards better?
Thanx
Vanessa
Hi,

Its just my opinion is all. There is absolutly nothing wrong with smartmedia.....except the fact that you can only buy them in smallish capacities. The largest is 128mb. Compactflash comes in sizes up to 4 gigabytes, and anything up to256mb is really cheap. Even 512mb and 1gb cards are coming down in price.

Cheers

Pete.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Diane&Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

Ebuyer.com normally not bad, but £196 at the moment for the A303 - better on computer stuff + they sometimes have bargains where they have bought a lot
Bob
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We recently bought a Fuji Finepix 401 it is fab.
Also holds 128mb smartmedia card which allows you to take 2 min long video clips with sound. I have taken it to all of my kids sports days and used it to video and shoot piccies. It also got rave reviews in lots of the pc/camera mags.

Takes up to 4 million pixels. I used it to take photos of my house and they came out better than the estate agents, so he used ours instead!!

Quite pricey though around £350+ card, but it is small and looks great as well.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 9:51 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

We're about to buy-we're looking at the Canon iXUS 400

Any opinions,or alternatives,as I'm no tech head on this,but don't want to buy something that will be outdated as soon as i leave the shop

Cheers BB
Old Aug 27th 2003, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default Re: Digital cameras - advice please!

Originally posted by Pookin
Hi All

Flying to Oz on the 16th, with a 2 hour stop-over in Singapore.

What I want to know is - where is the best/cheapest place to get a good digital camera - UK, Singapore, Oz?

Lots to think about and look at on this one, but as you only have a two hour stop over you won't be able to go shopping in Singapour. I stopped over in April for three hours and looked at the shops in the airport, bloody pricey and the camera I had was not there, memery was nearly threble what I paid in U.K. Now before you all jump at me and say "WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM AND AIRPORT YOU DOUGHNUT" the prices in Aus were higher than in blighty as well, so I would recomend doing your home work on the camera you want, I have a Kodak LS443, bloody brilliant, get onto Amerzon, print the price off and take it to Jessops and they will price match and help you out with everything you need to know.

Memery I got from ebuyer.com at a fraction of the price, go for Kingston or Crucial they are very good quality.

Have a good holiday and take loads of pics.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 10:14 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi all.

here's something to think about. Don't just go with the big name brands because of the quality. I'm not saying that would be the wrong thing to do if you did, but don't be affraid of the lesser known brands. A lot of the time they bang in all sorts of features at silly prices just to make them more appealing,. for example.

i bought a trust 770z a few months back and think its a brilliant little camera. 3.3 mega pixel, 4cm lcd screen, 3x optical zoom, 3 x digital zoom (9x in total haha) auto focus lens and tv output! to name but a few. all for £140! you can turn off the lcd screen which really makes a difference to the battery life. it comes with 8mb ( ) installed, but takes SD and MMC cards.

i was looking at sony and some other big names before getting it, and would be paying double for the same, if not lesser specification.

the quality of shots are excellent, (ask if you want proof), if a little over exposed sometimes. This can be corrected though. Loads of presets, including night time photography, which you really need a tripod to hold it steady to get the best from this, but it is supplied with the camera anyway.

i bought it from a local pc shop but i have seen them in staples and a few other places.

there are some other lesser known makes which are getting great reviews and out performing the bigger names in quality as well as quantity.

if you only want a go anywhere, click and shot camera, you might as well go for something cheap, rather than something expensive. At least if anything happens to it, you wont have lost a fortune.

...just my thoughts.

leigh
Old Aug 27th 2003, 10:32 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch out for customs with brand new goods. At least if you buy them in the UK you can pretend they are over a year old and therefore don't attract the GST.

By the way it seems to be quicker to declare in Sydney as everyone has all bags x rayed and loads of people get their bags searched.

If you haven't exceeded any limits you get an extra 1.125 litre of liquor.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 10:58 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by baldbutts
We're about to buy-we're looking at the Canon iXUS 400

Any opinions,or alternatives,as I'm no tech head on this,but don't want to buy something that will be outdated as soon as i leave the shop

Cheers BB

BB.

My sister bought the ixus 400 about 4 weeks ago....and i can safely say its the best compact digital ive ever seen/used.

Photos are amazing, the camera is well made, and very easy to use. Nifty "intelligent" autofocus too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.