Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Difficult decision: career move from London to Melbourne

Difficult decision: career move from London to Melbourne

Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Girl Athena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Difficult decision: career move from London to Melbourne

I've been reading this massively helpful forum for months and - now that I'm at my wits' ends because I have to make a decision by next week - I have decided to ask for help.

My husband and I work in the public sector in London, with a joint income of £97,000. We've been offered similar posts in Melbourne, with the joint income of AUS$ 207,000. The company will pay 90% of the relocation costs and arrange visas. But we're getting cold feet... We love Australia and Melbourne, and one of the motivations for moving would be having a nicer, less stressful lifestyle, with less commuting than in London and enjoying the city life. We're a couple in our late 30's, no kids.

Obviously, we realise we're in quite a good position as the jobs are aalreadyarranged for us, etc. But we're starting to wonder whether it's all worth it... Leaving friends, family and what we know behind seems like a big move to take - although I'm aware many brave people on this list have happily made it. Would the Oz salary they're offering allow for comfortable living in the (kind-of) centre of Melbourne (CBD, Carlton, Brunswick St area, St Kilda)? Would it be a big improvement on the UK?

Thanks a million, any comments would be appreciated!

Last edited by Girl Athena; Jul 14th 2007 at 9:27 am. Reason: explaining better
Old Jul 14th 2007, 2:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difficult decision: career move from London to Melbourne

Originally Posted by Girl Athena
My husband and I work in the public sector in London, with a joint income of £97,000. We've been offered similar posts in Melbourne, with the joint income of AUS$ 207,000. The company will pay 90% of the relocation costs and arrange visas.
Will they "arrange" temporary visas - or permanent visas?

Leaving that aside, you should think hard about how important friends/family are to you. It seems that it is the most common reason for British migrants to Australia to return home. For some, a sense of independence/adventure means that missing friends/family isn't a problem, for others it's a huge deal. Work out which group you and your spouse fall into before making any move.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 14th 2007 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

I understand the visas they'll arrange will be tied in to that particular job - but the position is 'permanent' so I believe the visas will be too.

The advice about family and friends is v. helpful. We live quite a bit away from both sets of families anyway and the job would bring us back to Europe at least once a year. However, it's obviously different from having the possibility of seeing your folks more often when you're in the UK.

The job itself is looking good and is one of the main reasons we are thinking of going. But we'd only go if we could be sure we'll have 'better lifestyle' than in the UK (which is why I was quoting salaries earlier on). At the moment we have a modest 3 bed house in one of London suburbs and are enjoying London but also finding it a little tiring. If we could have all the benefits of the 'city life' in Melbourne without the hassle of London, a much better living space (by better I mean more central location, more room, etc.) and generally enjoy the weather, fantastic food and sense of adventure then it would be worth it. But maybe this 'lifestyle improvement' is a bit of a fantasy...?

Any further comments and advice would be appreciated!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough

The company will pay 90% of the relocation costs and arrange visas...
Sounds great, if you do decide on leaving U.K. Would you rent your house out for a while just incase things go tits up? this may be a wise move as we all know the house prices down London are not cheap...Not that I would like to live there.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the visas they'll arrange will be tied in to that particular job - but the position is 'permanent' so I believe the visas will be too.
The main permanent visa (ENS) is not tied to your job, so what you believe cannot be correct.

You need to verify what kind of visa they are arranging. If they want to hire you permanently, you need a permanent visa. A temporary visa risks all kinds of hassle, cost and heartache - be careful.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:15 am
Just Joined

OK, thanks for clarification about the visa. I'll find out as it seems I've made assumptions based on the UK situation when we hire people from overseas. They just said that they'll pay all the visa fees and that their HR dept. will liaise with me to arrange everything. They'll want us in the job long-term so it'll probably be the permanent option. But, as I say, we'll need to clarify.

To reply to Graff's question, yes, we'd probably rent the house out, at least initially... That seems what most people are advising.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

[
What a great opportunity for you, I say go for it, or you will always wonder ' WHAT IF"
You dont have to worry about schools or things for the kids, just yourselves.
Yes you will miss family, I miss family terribly, but I think this is a better lifestyle for my kids.
Life is too short to wonder "what if" and if i can do it with 6 kids and lower income , then so can you.
Best of luck
Denise