Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Difficult Decision

Difficult Decision

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Kebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really nice
Default Difficult Decision

Does anybody know where you can find out if somebody stands a hope of passing a medical before embarking on all the other procedures?

Reason being, we are looking to go to NZ but want parents to join us after the 3 years, I'm an only child so centre of gravity thing ok,

Mum however is on medication for high blood pressure, which in principle may be ok, but if they did and ECG it would show irregularities on her heart which were caused before taking the medication.

On the pills she is ok, but does also suffer from angina. Does she have a hope in hells chance of passing the medical?

If parents can't follow, might have to rethink our decision!!!!:scared:

Any help really appreciated

Donna
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:27 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Difficult Decision

Originally posted by Kebabo
Does anybody know where you can find out if somebody stands a hope of passing a medical before embarking on all the other procedures?

Reason being, we are looking to go to NZ but want parents to join us after the 3 years, I'm an only child so centre of gravity thing ok,

Mum however is on medication for high blood pressure, which in principle may be ok, but if they did and ECG it would show irregularities on her heart which were caused before taking the medication.

On the pills she is ok, but does also suffer from angina. Does she have a hope in hells chance of passing the medical?

Donna
Minor conditions are not really going to stop your old ma and pa from joining you. Make sure the old dear just tries to be healthy for the medical if you know what I mean.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Kebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really nice

Are blood pressure and angina really classified as minor? just terried of going through the whole process and then having our dream taken away from us at the last mintute, would rather know now.

God if I don't stop worrying about it mum wont be the only one with the high blood pressure!!!!!!!!

Donna
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Can't spell either - supposed to be terrified!!!!:scared: :scared:
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:38 pm
Don
Banned

Check out the NZIS website and downloads which give you the whole picture on policy. Whilst I am somewhat surprised that your mother's health will influence your immediate family's decision to emigrate or not, (and therefore your happiness), I guess you're not the only one with a parent in this position.

Don't you think your immediate family's happiness is FAR FAR more important than whether your mother can come too or not?

Leave the old dear behind IMO.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Don, you are dead right about the happiness of my immediately family, when all said and done one of the main reasons we are going is so tha the girls 4 and 1 1/2 can grow up in a nicer safer country. But NZ is such a long way away when leaving parents.

Never mind i'm sure we'll keep the telephone companies going.

By the way as a newby on here I have relly aprreciated your replys on all the posts. Thanks and keep it up

Donna
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 6:09 pm
Don
Banned

Sorry if I sounded mean.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Why not book a medical for mum with one of the panel doctors?
They have the experience to advise you properly as to whether she will be accepted or not and as they all seem to be private practice I am sure they will not mind relieving you of some of your hard earned!!
Good luck with it and hope it all turns out all right for you
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

From a post that Alan Collete answered recently it said somthing on the lines of "you can apply for a visitor visa and then ask the High Commission in London if they will carry out a full medical assessment. So lodge a form 48 with a request that the applicant be assessed medically as if they are applying for a permanent visa. That way you will find out before having to go to the expense of applying".

No health condition, with the exception of tuberculosis, automatically precludes the issue of a visa. For more information , take a look at at

www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/faq.php look at q6 and it links to a government website.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Difficult Decision

Originally posted by Kebabo

Donna
We have a similar concern (though it won't stop us). However, judging from the medical examination, there should not be too much to worry about. There is no ECG test.

As others have said, I don't think you need to score 100% to get into NZ. In any case, you could always come back if you missed your parents too much. Also, they can visit for long periods of time, if that's feasible.

Do it!
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Check out the NZIS website and downloads which give you the whole picture on policy. Whilst I am somewhat surprised that your mother's health will influence your immediate family's decision to emigrate or not, (and therefore your happiness), I guess you're not the only one with a parent in this position.

Don't you think your immediate family's happiness is FAR FAR more important than whether your mother can come too or not?

Leave the old dear behind IMO.

Cheers - Don
Don, I think you underestimate the importance of the role of a mother here...
Old Jun 4th 2003, 9:02 am
Christchurch Bound

stephen john is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently had medicals and i seem to remember correct me if im wrong that you only needed an ecg and a cardiologist report if your blood pressure was over a certain range. I think it was if the diastolic was over 100(thats the bottom figure).Also take any copies of relevent letters out of her gps notes . We had a problem with husbands chest xray as it showed a boardeline enlarged heart which the nzis sent to there own consultant and he said it wasnt a problem.All the best.

claire
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:11 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Rosy
Don, I think you underestimate the importance of the role of a mother here...
In this case you're no doubt right.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
In this case you're no doubt right.
Thanks everybody, feel much happier about the situation now.

Donna