Reload this Page >

Differences between states

Differences between states

Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:00 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Differences between states

Given the fact that Australia is such a vast country, there must be regional variations. When thinking about moving to Australia, one should consider each Australian state like as if they were different countries sharing the same continent. After all, they are sub-national entities each having legal and political systems of their own. Or what do you think? I don´t think there are many people who are saying: "Should I move to Perth or Sydney, I just can´t make up my mind".

Or am I completely wrong? Are there substantial differences between the Australian states? Or is it more to do with the differneces between the largest cities and the vast inland? Perhaps Perth and Sydney have more in common than Sydney and some small village in NSW.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between states

Originally Posted by THR
Given the fact that Australia is such a vast country, there must be regional variations. When thinking about moving to Australia, one should consider each Australian state like as if they were different countries sharing the same continent. After all, they are sub-national entities each having legal and political systems of their own. Or what do you think? I don´t think there are many people who are saying: "Should I move to Perth or Sydney, I just can´t make up my mind".

Or am I completely wrong? Are there substantial differences between the Australian states? Or is it more to do with the differneces between the largest cities and the vast inland? Perhaps Perth and Sydney have more in common than Sydney and some small village in NSW.
A very jaundiced view of federation....

No, it isn't that different between states. But it is that different that it becomes a pain in the arse to do certain things. Labour mobility is one of the biggest issues which is problematic due to states' inidviduality.

Personally, I believe that federation is continued by those riding the gravy train. Sincerely, I have never come cross politicians such as those in WA who earn so much money for making such bad decisions (often out of vested interest) and are so thick.

They'd lose a lot through centralisation of power and government.

Roll on centralised power and government...
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You will find differences in redtape, and they will legislate differently.

A good one I can think of is that NSW requires a annual roadworthy check for a second hard car when others only require it, if at all, on re-registration, or sale.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:06 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Perhaps Perth and Sydney have more in common than Sydney and some small village in NSW.

Defintely the case
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You will find differences in redtape, and they will legislate differently.

A good one I can think of is that NSW requires a annual roadworthy check for a second hard car when others only require it, if at all, on re-registration, or sale.
Apparently the train lines are different gauges in some states.....how thick is that?

Different rules and regulations for each state, red tape for Africa in each state.

Wouldn't it be nice if everything was standardised throughout the whole of Oz?

........ Roy Orbison immediately springs to mind!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

It can be like living in a different country, the landscape, climate and laws are all different. When you look at the huge difference in km's it is not surprising, there is also a huge rivalry between the states, especially when it comes to sport

There is also a few different time zones as well.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:01 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

You've just reminded me of one of my favourite quotes of all time ...

Ian Rush (Liverpool & Wales legend) on his time in Turin with Juventus:

"I couldn't settle in Italy — it was like living in a foreign country."

Priceless ...

Originally Posted by auspal
It can be like living in a different country, the landscape, climate and laws are all different. When you look at the huge difference in km's it is not surprising, there is also a huge rivalry between the states, especially when it comes to sport

There is also a few different time zones as well.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Ey up lad, just seen your avatar, watched "Shameless" last night, me and the hubbie love it, what a brilliant show, will have to get our pommie mates onto it too as it is shown on SBS and not a lot of folks would see it. Even got a Yorkshire lass here who is heading home after 7 years who hasnt watched it yet
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

the rhinos will become famous soon enoughthe rhinos will become famous soon enough

differences in states - yorkshire lancashire - emmerdale eastenders - off course they will be a difference -