Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Diesel Engineer Required - Is this true ???

Diesel Engineer Required - Is this true ???

Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about
Default Diesel Engineer Required - Is this true ???

Hi everyone... we too are looking to relocate to Oz for all the reasons that most people have stated... ie mortgage free and great weather..

We know that Diesel Engineering is a Skilled Trade that is required over there and we have enough points to be accepted. At the moment in the UK my husband wage is approx 20k which is a crap wage for his trade.. Does any one know what sort of pay my husband could expect if we moved to Oz..

Many Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:58 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diesel Engineer Required - Is this true ???

Originally Posted by Phil & Chele
Hi everyone... we too are looking to relocate to Oz for all the reasons that most people have stated... ie mortgage free and great weather..

We know that Diesel Engineering is a Skilled Trade that is required over there and we have enough points to be accepted. At the moment in the UK my husband wage is approx 20k which is a crap wage for his trade.. Does any one know what sort of pay my husband could expect if we moved to Oz..

Many Thanks
Have a look on the job websites... Here's a couple to get you going...

My Career

Seek

Happy hunting...
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rodders39
Have a look on the job websites... Here's a couple to get you going...

My Career

Seek

Happy hunting...

Thank you , will have a look
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:58 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

my brother is a diesel fitter in perth,he has been a fitter for about twenty years and knows his stuff,i beleive he takes home over £800 after tax and reckons he could earn a lot more in the mines.he told me diesel fitters can take their pick of jobs in perth..

i hope this helps..

aston
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:19 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by aston man
my brother is a diesel fitter in perth,he has been a fitter for about twenty years and knows his stuff,i beleive he takes home over £800 after tax and reckons he could earn a lot more in the mines.he told me diesel fitters can take their pick of jobs in perth..

i hope this helps..

aston
Aston, not getting at you but I really do not understand the mines and big wages thing. Why would someone want to emigrate to Australia and then get put into the back arse of no-where for weeks on end with daily drink and drug checks just so they can tell everyone how much they earn a week. Is it greed or just something to boast about?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tucs
Aston, not getting at you but I really do not understand the mines and big wages thing. Why would someone want to emigrate to Australia and then get put into the back arse of no-where for weeks on end with daily drink and drug checks just so they can tell everyone how much they earn a week. Is it greed or just something to boast about?
Some people want to better themselves and not sit on their jacksies talking about. It's not for everyone which is why not everyone wants to do it. Hence the big bucks.

Greed is good.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 27th 2007 at 2:18 am.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:38 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

I partially agree with what you are saying about living/working in the bush in 50 degree heat etc etc.
Many of my friends that are working in the mines are just trying to get ahead and reduce their mortgage etc. One freind went from $3000 per month to over $7000, just what he needed to get rid of a few depts.
They all plan to stay there a few years, but I always joke with them that they'll never be able to afford a $50,000 per year pay cut and return to working in Perth! :-)

Neil.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:52 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

know what you,re saying. as a welder , i have that option, but i,d settle for the 50k and a normal job. that said , it's nice to know that option exists if you need the cash
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:48 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with you chaps,i would not go,,but i believe that there is a mine just an hour from perth where they are paying the bucks that you can get further a field..
if someone said to me, here is a way you can pay off your morgage i and others i know would do it..i believe there is a forum somewhere,where there are loads of people moving to the other side of the world to do that very thing...

life is very short ,sod the money i want to see me kids grow up..
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi... thanks for your replies..

My Husband has been a Diesel Engineer for the last 17 yrs... From what you say about working down the mines in sounds alot like outworking here ie.. loads more money but no time to spend with the family... we have had that life here and not really what we would like anymore.. If we move to Oz we would be bringing aprox £200k hopefully this may be enough to make us mortagage free or at least nearly !! Then we can take the pay cut and enjoy the life out there with our children and hopefully new friends...... Think maybe i should take off my rose tinted spectacles lol ?????

What about Marine Engineers ( ships & boats engines) is that in need over there and if so where.. My husband would like to start on his own one day in this field so would like to be in an area that this could be done....

Thanks Michele
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:30 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...What about Marine Engineers ( ships & boats engines) is that in need over there and if so where...
Bound to be... Just one look at Sydney harbour or the boats moored along the Spit tells you that marine diesel engineers are working over here...
Old Jan 27th 2007, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rodders39
Bound to be... Just one look at Sydney harbour or the boats moored along the Spit tells you that marine diesel engineers are working over here...
Hi..

thinking of bypassing Sidney.. have heard it is the most expensive place to buy in Oz?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

ozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really nice

My husband works in the mines-FIFO, 1 week on 1week off-he is down in Ravensthorpe, couple of hours from Esperence. He works hard 7 twelve hour shifts in a row. The conditions he works in are very good, they are very much looked after, he says the food is very good (and he really likes his food!!). He makes very good money and loves coming back to Perth where we live after his week is up. So far I am not working so we enjoy the time off when he comes home. Not for everyone but it suits us......for now.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks
Diesel fitters in Mackay, Qld are on about $30 per hr and can take his pick of jobs. Good luck
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:56 am
Timelord

Hi..

thinking of bypassing Sidney.. have heard it is the most expensive place to buy in Oz?
Except Perth just leapfrogged it this last week...

I wouldn't be too worried about perceived costs of living... If it costs more to live here then it pays more too... Just like the UK, London wages will be higher... And you're into marine diesels... more of those where the money is...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.