Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you/will you rent or sell your UK house?

View Poll Results: Rent or Sell?
Rented out UK house - glad I did
33.33%
Sold UK house - glad I did
52.38%
Rented out UK house - wish I'd sold
9.52%
Sold UK house - wish I'd rented
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Did you/will you rent or sell your UK house?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:19 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Did you/will you rent or sell your UK house?

We are planning on selling, but have read recently a prediction of a 40% rise in house prices over the next 5 years......although I'm aware the housing market in Oz is also increasing dramatically so it could all be swings and roundabouts.

Just would like a general opinion on those of you that have sold or rented and if you regretted whichever decision you made?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:25 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you/will you rent or sell your UK house?

Sold house, made full commitment to emigrating, needed the capital to start in Aus, glad we did it
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:27 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Sold house, made full commitment to emigrating, needed the capital to start in Aus, glad we did it
Thanks

We have a little capital from a share in some rental properties we sold. But would need the money from our main house before we bought one in Oz most likely.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:31 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Thanks

We have a little capital from a share in some rental properties we sold. But would need the money from our main house before we bought one in Oz most likely.
Then like most people, you really have little choice but to sell. Renting in UK is fine for those people who can afford to do it, but many can't....the capital from the property sale will make their first year or two in Aus comfortable.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:33 am

Then like most people, you really have little choice but to sell. Renting in UK is fine for those people who can afford to do it, but many can't....the capital from the property sale will make their first year or two in Aus comfortable.
Yes this is very likely the way we'll go. Although I'm still convinced Dale is going to expect me to live in a tent on the beach for a couple of years
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:35 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Clippies
Yes this is very likely the way we'll go. Although I'm still convinced Dale is going to expect me to live in a tent on the beach for a couple of years
Well, then just tell him the temps in the south are too cold for camping in the winter, while the North has those saltwater crocs

I'm sure he'll be up for a nice sturdy property
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:44 am

Well, then just tell him the temps in the south are too cold for camping in the winter, while the North has those saltwater crocs

I'm sure he'll be up for a nice sturdy property
Lol oh god he'll be building me a shack then
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:50 am

Australian Property is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

It is different for different reasons and this can depend on how long you are migrating for, on what visa and what you are leaving behind in all aspects of resources.

My advice is that if you dont' have to sell or can afford to borrow against the property in th UK to finance an aspect of your Australia move, then do so.

Once you are established and clearly know your direction in Australia then make the decision at that time - during this period at least you own a substantial asset (with rental income - likely) that is increasing and in GBP x 2.4 to the AUD.

It is also possible to borrow against this to purchase a property in Australia.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:15 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Think it might of been too easy to return if we had rented it out, plus we needed the capital to buy here! C x
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by shiels
Think it might of been too easy to return if we had rented it out, plus we needed the capital to buy here! C x
glad lots of people are worrying about the same thing as me.....still carnt decide...one day im all for it the next im not! We have a 6k redemption fee to pay if we sell it...although at present i could probably sell it for free hence saving a couple of grand or do we wait rent it out and see whether I can convince the other half that our long term future lies in OZ?.........nope still no nearer to coming to a decision! We dont want to sell and then have to move back to find the market has gone mad over here again (something which definately is looking unlikely due to the holiday market and interest rate rises)
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Agree! Decisions, decisions...

We have been toying with the idea of letting our main house out for a profit of 500 quid or so a month BUT this will stop us being able to buy the house we want over there as we won't have a substantial deposit.

In reality we have to sell ours as most of our equity is in it which will be much needed in oz...

Currently in process of remortgaging our buy to let up to the hilt to get some extra funds - we're gonna keep this on and just take as much out of it as we can because we have good long-term (hopefully) tenants in it.

It is a tricky one as there are many different ways to approach it
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shiels
I agree.

As it was me that did all the persuasion to get here, I was worried that if we had rented our house out, then my OH wouldn't have came here with an open mind - & be thinking ''Oh well, we have our house in the Uk still...''

I need not have worried though, he has settled in better than me so far !! lol !!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:25 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

I rented mine out. Been here 2 months and wish id sold. We have fallen in love with Cairns and i know its early days but cant see us going back. Mine will be guing on the market once the 6 months contract is up!

Stu
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu:0
I rented mine out. Been here 2 months and wish id sold. We have fallen in love with Cairns and i know its early days but cant see us going back. Mine will be guing on the market once the 6 months contract is up!

Stu
Sadly, I have to say we rented our house. Personally for me I think it was the wrong decision. My OH hasn't settled and now we are heading back to the UK in under 3 weeks I don't think he would have been so quick to want to go back if we had to get back onto the property ladder but who knows.

Lynne
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We rented our house out and remortgaged it prior to coming out to fund the Aus adventure. We are here because we really want to be here not just because we sold up and are stuck here. I think if I had sold up I might have felt trapped especially during that first unsure year and maybe would have done a panic bolt back but because we've not burned our bridges I'm much more relaxed and enjoying the whole thing. Personally I think why limit your options if you don't necessarily have to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.