Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you see 'Place in the Sun?'

Did you see 'Place in the Sun?'

Old Nov 27th 2002, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Did you see 'Place in the Sun?'

I have just watched Place in the Sun channel 4 -bloody brillliant. It showed a couple of Brits who want to buy a 'holiday home' on Sunshine Coast.
It really cheered me up to see the sun and the beautiful landscapes again- it is making us both really impatient to get out there.

You must watch it the houses are fab and all under £100 000!I think it might be repeated later this week so look out for it, it should really remind you why you want to emigrate.

Tina
Old Nov 27th 2002, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did you see 'Place in the Sun?'

It certainly did the trick for me awell. We're fed up of waiting for the visa, and have been focussing a little on all the reasons not to go....the last few days flurry of postings to the forum hasn't helped either.

But the programme started us off having the discussions all over again: Should we build, near the sea, inland, isn't it lovely, look at the blue sky...... and so on.

Very good programme. One later in the series (Feb I think) features our very own Sue5665 from this forum...

A misty eyed, rose tinted Mash.... (with a bottle of Jacobs Creek keeping me company)

Originally posted by tinaj
I have just watched Place in the Sun channel 4 -bloody brillliant. It showed a couple of Brits who want to buy a 'holiday home' on Sunshine Coast.
It really cheered me up to see the sun and the beautiful landscapes again- it is making us both really impatient to get out there.

You must watch it the houses are fab and all under £100 000!I think it might be repeated later this week so look out for it, it should really remind you why you want to emigrate.

Tina
Old Nov 27th 2002, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point

Tina
yes we watched it ,brilliant. I must say Iam one of those who hears a bit of negativity and then thinks what are we doing ? are we doing the right thing? what if it goes all wrong ? but seeing the program gives you something to look forward to. Things now seem so real.
when are you hoping to get to Brisbane?
Old Nov 27th 2002, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the US so didn't get to see the program. Place in the Sun was my favourite show when we were living in the UK. I used to watch it when it was on at 5.00 p.m. every evening.

Anyway can anyone remember the specific places they visted. Reason I ask is we are thinking of buying a holiday home in Oz, either on Central NSW Coast or Qld and am wondering what it is like. If I have the names of some places on the Sunshine Coast I can check prices on the web.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

[Anyway can anyone remember the specific places they visted. Reason I ask is we are thinking of buying a holiday home in Oz, either on Central NSW Coast or Qld and am wondering what it is like. If I have the names of some places on the Sunshine Coast I can check prices on the web. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

try this for info

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsi...ce_in_sun.html
Old Nov 28th 2002, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

OK guys give me the scoop where are the beachy houses for under 100,000 quid? We have a house on the Sunshine Coast, Property prices there are going through the roof. Old dumps ready for demolishing by the sea cost around 1-2 million. if you can find one. Blocks of land 10 minutes drive from a beach around $170,000. Houses in very suburban, (hear the neighbour type lots) are available under the $300,00, only in the more ordinary suburbs. Anywhere you can see, hear or smell the beach will cost you heaps. The last 12 months has been the biggest growth in Real Estate prices ever in this area. Example, land purchased in March for $89,000 now selling for $170,000. House bought in january for $185,000 now $350,000. Very hard for the locals, average wage is$319 per week.

Some of the local areas to look up if you want by the sea are Alexandra Headland, Mooloolaba, Noosa, Minyama, or cheaper maybe some parts of Caloundra, like Dickey Beach or Kings Beach. You will need very full wallets tho. Kawana Island is a new development where houses on the Canals are cheaper than the beach for around $800,000.

www.waterfrontsunshinecoast.com.au
www.raywhite.com
www.RHQ.com.au

For more suburban stuff
www.kenguyrealestate.com.au
www.remaxproperty.com.au
Old Nov 28th 2002, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Dotty

Finally this must be something that makes you very happy, as you must have made a bundle off your real estate so when you go home you should be able to buy another place in the UK. I am assuming that you will be returning to the UK on a permanent basis shortly because you seem so unhappy in Australia that your life must be an absolute misery. I have yet to see a positive post from you and have to say that I feel sorry for you living in such a constant state of unhappiness. I hope you are able to resolve your situation shortly as life is too short to have to be unhappy day in and day out.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Vicky, what sort of Banana Head would allow people to emmigrate here believing such rubbish as Beach houses for 56,000 quid. That is sheer lunacy and it would be wrong to let people believe it.

Are you suggesting we should let people believe such total and utter rubbish?

Try walking into a Mooloolaba Real Estate and asking for houses at those prices, they would wrap you in a white coat and MOJO you back to 1969 baby. Thats about the last time anybody got a beach house at that price.

If you dont believe me try the Websites.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

So are you accusing the producers of A Place in the Sun of lying about these houses? I can't imagine that they would have any motivation for lying about the prices of these houses.

Yes there probably are a lot of houses available in the higher price ranges, but I would be surprised if you can't buy a house somewhere on the Qld coast for 100,000 quid. I am assuming that the houses featured were in smaller towns, but can't confirm that as I didn't see the show.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:10 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Tina
This as Dotty says was out of date reguarding house prices ,they should do a follow up Jobs in the Sun that would be interesting.
home prices in WA are cheaper that most of Australia $300,000 would just about get you a beach block only and that would be 40km from Perth .

#809478 - City Beach - $1,275,000 House
4 Bedrooms
3 Bath
2 Storey
Land: 784 sqm

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 28th 2002 at 3:22 am.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Vicky, if you read the post you would learn that prices in that area have increased dramatically even in the last year. I would suggest it is highly likely that the documentary was probably made some time ago.

How did you go on the Websites, if you find a nice beach house for 100squid let me know I'll buy it.

Front page of local paper headline $30,000 in 1968 turns to $2.5m for beach house, I suppose the local paper got it wrong too. By the way the purchasers are going to knock it down.

Still I guess your knowledge of the Sunshine Coast Prop Market would be better than mine, I only live there half the year. How is the USA these days. Can you find me a penthouse in New York for 100 squid too?
Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

OK hands up all those reading this because they love a good cat fight, he he!
Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Umm actually don't think it would be that out of date because I think it is the first in the new series. As someone said Sue's show will be on air in February and she was only out there filming a month or so ago so the prices can't be that far out. I agree there is likely to be some inflation in prices since filmed but prices must be in the ballpark mentioned.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm truly not interested in having a cat fight with anyone. However as I said in my last price I doubt if the prices in the show are out by a year or so.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that I know more about the Sunshine Coast property market than you do as you say you live there. However, I think before anyone can come to any conclusion on the accuracy of the prices we would need to know what towns these houses were in, as we all know prices can vary significantly from town to town.

Re the townhouse in New York, sorry can't help you out as I have never lived there. I actually live in San Diego so can help you out with the local market.

BTW I do know a bit about the Australian property market as I am Australian, husband is mixed breed (Aust/Brit) so have lived in Oz, UK & US.

Also agree with prices inflating significantly in the past 25 years or so. My in-laws bought their house in Canberra in 1974 for $24,000 and it is now worth $500,000.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

BTW Dotty, thanks for those links, sure are some nice properties listed. I was impressed that it is possible to get a place for less than $400,000 which doesn't seem that expensive after looking at the prices in the UK and here in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.