Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you expect to feel this cold?

View Poll Results: Did you expect to feel this cold?
No way, I didn't even bring any winter clothes!!
4.11%
No, though of course I knew it would become a bit chilly, but not this much!
32.88%
No, I knew it could get very cold, but I didn't expect to FEEL this cold
19.18%
Yes, I was prepared and brought all my winter woolies.
6.85%
Yes, but I still like to whinge about it
12.33%
I'm still in the UK and I am not expecting to be cold in Aus.
4.11%
I'm still in the UK, and I am expecting to be cold in Aus at times
15.07%
Other (PLEASE explain!)
5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Did you expect to feel this cold?

Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:31 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you expect to feel this cold?

Argh, lost my message with all this messing about! :scared:

Anyway, you get the picture, I love polls

Last edited by Simone; Jun 21st 2005 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:38 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you expect to feel this cold?

Hi Simone, although in the uk at the moment, i have answered from before we went over the last time. i knew it got cold, relies had told us. but we really didn't expect to feel so cold when the temperatures were at what would be a normal level for the uk. saying that we only ever felt cold indoors and our house was shocking for insulation and holes round doors.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

TBH I don't think it is that cold when you think it is winter at the mo. I live in Queensland though, so I guess there are some peeps down in Sydney who are a lot colder than me. I was just wearing a thin long sleeved top today and could have done with a little jacket for when I was waiting for the bus. But nothing really to write home about.

Katie
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Voted number 2

Not so much outside, but felt cold inside - only got a gas fire in the lounge, and a electric heater in bathroom..
Had to buy an electric blanket a couple of weeks ago - never had one before!

Cas
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:52 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

not after this
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Had to buy an electric blanket a couple of weeks ago - never had one before!

Cas
Another step towards citizenship
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Simone
Argh, lost my message with all this messing about! :scared:

Anyway, you get the picture, I love polls
I have a rellie here who had told me that she knew people who don't even own coats. She was either a)lying, b)knows people who don't mind the cold, or c)knows lots of poor people.

Mind you, I noticed today that it was loads warmer outside my house than it was in it
Hubby came home the other night, said he had "something to make me hot in bed" Turned out to be an electric blanket. It's the thought that counts I suppose
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:58 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
not after this
he he, I love talking about the 'extremes' of weather

I've always said I'd be hot in summer, cold in winter, even before I moved here. Just don't realise how much you mind it sometimes.
But you forget it again VERY quickly. Can't remember how I felt in the hot, and can't even remember if we had a very hot summer. Can't remember it being, except for those few days.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:08 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Other.

I expected to acclimatise and hence eventually feel cooler in winter.

Being in the tropics though I have very rarely put me trews on (oooer missus the tropice is full of pervs ) and never due to the weather.

Da Boss did feel very chilly one night though. We were supping beer at the marina and the breeze is always a little stronger and cooler there.

What has surprised me is how quickly we have acclimatised. When we went down to the GC we really noticed the drop in temperature. Needed trews and jumpers most evenings down there although daytime was okay.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

The first two times I came here, I went to Melbourne in winter time, and I was advised by work colleagues to bring winter clothes. So I brought an ankle length woolen black winter coat (think Edward Woodward in 'The Equalizer').

And it was perfect!! Exactly what was required for a Melbourne winter.

In fact I got so used to wearing it, I wore it on the way back. And got out in Singapore, went for a beer in the outside bar, and nearly passed out, I'd forgotten to take the coat off!!

But I thought coming to Brisbane it wouldn't be quite as cold in the winter, and I suppose looking at the stats it literally isn't.

But it feels as cold as a Melbourne winter. I suppose its the humidity and lack of insulation that makes it feel so cold. But hot water bottles are a must for us. Its either that or run the aircon on reverse cycle which isn't cheap, and not nice for the environment, especially as houses here have such low insulation, the heat produced just disappears. Whereas a hot water bottle hugged against holds its heat for hours!!!

But still we're past the equinox, so days getting longer, etc, thing slowly get better. Its not that bad!!

JTL
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:32 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
But still we're past the equinox, so days getting longer, etc, thing slowly get better. Its not that bad!!

JTL
Exactly! It will still be cold (or can be) cold for a while, but at least the days will get longer, and might be able to warm up the house a bit before it gets dark!

Yeah, hot water bottles sometimes stay warm for ages! Ours is sometimes warm in the morning still, though it could also be our body heat keeping IT warm?!

Oh, and I've got a wheat bag too. Questions: Anyone have any experience with the things...? It says on one tag to warm it up 1 min, the tag on the cover says 2 mins...
I now do 2 mins, and it still isn't really hot. But don't want to do more, as it might burn....
Anyway, so that's nice and warm, but not for long, and not hot.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

I knew it got cold but didn't expect to FEEL this cold! Pretty much sums it up for me Simone...

Came out of the bathroom tonight looking like a Sumo wrestler, Fleecy pyjamas (bought at Sussan today!!!!), fleecy frog socks (bought at Target today!!!), HUGE fleecy dressing gown (courtesy of House of Fraser and kindness of mum), thought I'd completely go over top and don a scarf too! Husband looked at me with utter disdain and pointed out it drops to -50 in Montana...

it's colder inside my house than outside... bob....
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:37 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
But hot water bottles are a must for us. JTL
A little present for you
Attached Thumbnails Did you expect to feel this cold?-hotwaterb.jpg  
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
A little present for you
But Bix, why not give me your one?

JTL
Attached Images  
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:35 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone

Oh, and I've got a wheat bag too. Questions: Anyone have any experience with the things...? It says on one tag to warm it up 1 min, the tag on the cover says 2 mins...
I now do 2 mins, and it still isn't really hot. But don't want to do more, as it might burn....
Anyway, so that's nice and warm, but not for long, and not hot.
Simone... You're doing it again!
How many times have I said to you to stop arguing with yourself in one post??

Anyway, it was freezing last night. Got down to 2.7ºC.
3rd winter for us now, & seems to be getting colder every year.
So we must be acclimatising.
Or maybe it's just getting colder?
Or maybe it isn't?
Or it could be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.