Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did some one ask about Bondie look at this

Did some one ask about Bondie look at this

Old Feb 7th 2003, 3:36 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did some one ask about Bondie look at this

One of you good people asked about the Great Alan Bond (Pom who won the Americas Cup for the Aussies) he also rebuilt Perth and put it on the map , nice letter he wrote to the Australian paper.

AS the subject of Janet Fife-Yeoman's story "Living next door to Alan" (Australian Magazine, 1-2/2), and the associated story in the paper, I am in a position to confirm that the story is full of fabrications.

1. "He rips off old people" is a statement without foundation.

2. Regarding inmates listing telephone numbers on a board to give me increased access to the phone: This just cannot happen and if it did you would be barred from using the phone. You are entitled to one 10-minute phone call per day. All calls from and to the prison are monitored and recorded. Authorities would know immediately if I'd abused my phone privileges.

3. The only time I got extra books from the library was for research purposes for the classes I was conducting for a select group of prisoners.

4. "Bond was getting more prisoners out of jail than a Melbourne lawyer" by paying their fines, despite his own bankruptcy: I was cleared from bankruptcy in 1995 and was not a bankrupt at the time that this story relates to. I did, from time to time, lend small amounts of money to some prisoners, like traffic fine offenders, so they could cover fines that they could not pay. I wanted to see them released from maximum-security prison, an environment they should never have been in for such a petty offence. With the exception of two, these small loans were repaid. I also wrote letters for prisoners, many of whom were illiterate, to help them with their parole applications and family law matters.

5. I was not transferred to the C Wing self-care unit "after just three weeks . . . at Casuarina". I did not receive preferential treatment. I had to wait six months, like everyone else.

6. The two currencies in the prison's barter system were cans of Coke and cigarettes. Everyone bartered.

7. The reference to "teaching young kids how to rip off their grandparents" is disgusting, malicious and untrue. In my classes I explained to prisoners how they could go about buying a home once they were released. I told them that, because they had a prison record, they could not secure loans, so they would need to get family or friends to go guarantor – simple as that.

8. Regarding the six commandments: This claim is farcical. They have half the story. For example, I told the prisoners that they should only reveal the minimum amount of information in relation to the location of a property they might be considering for purchase so as to prevent potential investors from going out and buying the property themselves.

9. The allegation that I traded in the listed shares is untrue. The "deal" was purely hypothetical, the list was drawn up as part of a class I was conducting for prisoners on share trading.

10. I had 12 students (selected by the prison) in my class, of a jail population of more than 600.

11. Regarding the page three promotional piece for the Magazine story: In my classes, I was using the Harvard Case Study method to analyse companies. Two of the companies we looked at were BHP and FAI. BHP had made significant losses on projects and yet was able to survive through its ability to generate tremendous cash flow. The analysis we did in the prison on FAI in the late '90s indicated to us that the company was facing a huge shortfall on underwritten risk with a minus-$400m net worth in the business.

12. Yes, I did have one or two minders. I'd be dead if I didn't, as I was considered a soft target.

13. And yes, I did challenge line calls in the tennis – but no more than anyone else because I wanted to stay alive. Blatant cheating in prison brings dire consequences.
Alan Bond

[All the incidents recounted in the feature were checked with more than one source. Janet Fife-Yeomans]

Old Feb 7th 2003, 6:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did some one ask about Bondie look at this

Originally posted by pommie bastard
13. And yes, I did challenge line calls in the tennis – but no more than anyone else because I wanted to stay alive. Blatant cheating in prison brings dire consequences.
Alan Bond

Classic, tennis in prison. Sounds like the place Jeffrey Archer is in.
Old Feb 7th 2003, 6:13 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
Classic, tennis in prison. Sounds like the place Jeffrey Archer is in.
Yes the cons do it hard here I like the bit about his minders , he missed out the fact his meals were bought in and was allowed out now and again.
He has more than a few low lifes on his pay roll , nice bloke just misunderstood the people of Perth owe him big time thanks to him loads of investment was ploughed into Perth.

Old Feb 7th 2003, 6:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Yes the cons do it hard here I like the bit about his minders , he missed out the fact his meals were bought in and was allowed out now and again.
He has more than a few low lifes on his pay roll , nice bloke just misunderstood the people of Perth owe him big time thanks to him loads of investment was ploughed into Perth.

A bit like the Krays. They loved their mother, you know?