Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did The Move to OZ Benefit your Kids As Much As You Thought It Would?

Did The Move to OZ Benefit your Kids As Much As You Thought It Would?

Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:28 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did The Move to OZ Benefit your Kids As Much As You Thought It Would?

The title says it all really. We're so keen for our kids to have a healthier lifestyle than Scotland offers but would like to hear if in reality, that is actually possibly.

We know it's us as a family who also need to change, not just the country but as we see it, the opportunities for them to live an outdoor and healthier and more active life are more in Oz.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:39 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did The Move to OZ Benefit your Kids As Much As You Thought It Would?

Originally Posted by herrchook
The title says it all really. We're so keen for our kids to have a healthier lifestyle than Scotland offers but would like to hear if in reality, that is actually possibly.

We know it's us as a family who also need to change, not just the country but as we see it, the opportunities for them to live an outdoor and healthier and more active life are more in Oz.

Could I suggest a theory that I have in that if you are a kid who sits in front of an XBox or playstation and eats rubbish food then you will do the same in Australia. Its the people who make the changes not the environment as you so astutely put it. If they dont exercise in the Uk then they wont here.

The danger in Australia is that the foods available are generally less healthy. Fast food is everywhere and trying to get nutritional information from food labels can be a chore. There is little wonder why Australians and obesity is such an issue as the food situation is very "American" so to speak.

The best thing I would say is use the change of country to change the family lifestyle for good. Since you've already I think taken that on board you sound pretty much sorted
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:43 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did The Move to OZ Benefit your Kids As Much As You Thought It Would?

Originally Posted by Centurion
Could I suggest a theory that I have in that if you are a kid who sits in front of an XBox or playstation and eats rubbish food then you will do the same in Australia. Its the people who make the changes not the environment as you so astutely put it. If they dont exercise in the Uk then they wont here.

The danger in Australia is that the foods available are generally less healthy. Fast food is everywhere and trying to get nutritional information from food labels can be a chore. There is little wonder why Australians and obesity is such an issue as the food situation is very "American" so to speak.

The best thing I would say is use the change of country to change the family lifestyle for good. Since you've already I think taken that on board you sound pretty much sorted
Cheers mate. Thankfully, although my kids love watching TV, they also love running around and dancing too and fast food is a luxury, not the norm. I guess for us, the big difference is being able to get them outdoors rather than not being stuck indoors because it's raining again!!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:45 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by herrchook

Herchook.........

we are not qualified correctly to answer this (DINKY's 4 ever Trevor)......but from all the TV shows Ive seen ...you know, 'new life down under' etc.........the kids bloody love it!! OK, they dont leave school as geniuses, but what's important?......There happiness methinks!
I mean,,,,, what kinda country teaches surfing as a lesson??
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:47 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Our kids are afr more healthy here than they were in Scotland...............they want to stay outside and play because it isnt raining...........they sit out on the patio and read insted of inside watchin telly. My son has tried so many diff foods here and is even onto the veggies....he just wouldnt try them b4.

I Scotland if they were on the computer and we said come on lets go for a walk they would say awwwwweeeee do we need tooo.

Here we say it and they have shoes on and ready to go before we get an answer.

I would say that coming here has changed our kids 100% for the good
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:48 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by biggy
Our kids are afr more healthy here than they were in Scotland...............they want to stay outside and play because it isnt raining...........they sit out on the patio and read insted of inside watchin telly. My son has tried so many diff foods here and is even onto the veggies....he just wouldnt try them b4.

I Scotland if they were on the computer and we said come on lets go for a walk they would say awwwwweeeee do we need tooo.

Here we say it and they have shoes on and ready to go before we get an answer.

I would say that coming here has changed our kids 100% for the good
Good on ya Biggy!!

Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

our kids are far more active - part of the reason why is we can afford for the kids to do all the activities after school - they go to something different every night & it only costs $2 each - in the uk the same things would be a lot more expensive & with 3 of em we had to limit it we also have a pool - so they go in that everyday - the weather is nicer - so even in the winter they go out & play (although mine did in the uk anyway ) - eating wise no, fast food outlets are plentiful & cheaper than the uk so it is hard not to say yeah lets have maccas tonight - because you wanna spend time out on the veranda with a cool one in your hand!! & not cook!
bbq's are frequent & more meat than salad so thats not good
so you have to be careful - we are lucky we dont have many take away places near !!

hth

pootle26
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids love it here, the only downside is separation from friends and family; the other week I was listening to some Aussies going on about their cousins etc. and had to hold back the tears!
My two kids love playing outside (make sure you have huge covered areas for summer) and they are always out with the neighbours kids, racing up and down the street on their bikes, trampolining, all the energy burning stuff they need. Foodwise, my youngest needs pulling out of the fridge as he's always raiding the veggies. There seems to be less of the latest toy/gadget/fashion thing here, though that isn't always the case.
Education wise... um, there just isn't the same intensity in primary education, but I felt that the UK was getting too stressed re SATs etc. and achievement anyway. They do sport almost everyday, lots of drama, handwriting is different, spelling worse, maths a bit of a joke. I think it's a similar education to what I had in the UK as a kid, we all seemed to do alright in the end. If we were considering returning to the UK (we're not) it would be more of an issue.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:14 pm
sheila and joe

joe and sheila will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=

Anyone got any thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

weve been here 10 weeks today and i would say my kids are much more active already -- they are 11 and 7 and had bikes back home but were really never on them -- we lived in a one way street off a main road that people used as a cut through and i would only let them ride on the pavement from one end of the street to the other -- as well as this they do more way more activities in school than back in the UK -- my daughter is forever telling me they did this sport today or that new sport on a daily basis -- back home their school only had a very small grassed area -- also there seems to be a park/parkland on literally every corner here so they will go over the park straight from school or down the beach ........ this is all just 0 weeks in with no extra effort from us (ie -- taking to particular classes/events) - so for me it is an emphatic YES -- and not just for them iether -- i have bought a bike -- and more importantly am using it -- i'm being taught by my 5 year old nephew how to kick the funny shaped ball they use for their footy and generally will have a kick about with the kids and some other efforts i wont go into at the moment ........so ........give it a go and best of luck .
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:32 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Education wise... um, there just isn't the same intensity in primary education, but I felt that the UK was getting too stressed .
sorry to go OT a little, but my 4 year old twins who have just started school here in the uk have a maths homework book to do every weekend.

4 year olds with homework.

we did ask if there would be a detention if it wasnt done - luckily the teacher has the same sense of humour as us and rolled her eyes, muttering something about the govt.