Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anyone start to really have doubts?

Did anyone start to really have doubts?

Old May 5th 2007, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold
Default Did anyone start to really have doubts?

We have got our visa and sold our house and our flights are booked for 26th June. and I am having doubts that I want to go!! Is this normal or am I completely abnormal.I dont want to feel like this I thought I would be excited,but all these worries keep coming into my head especially in the middle of the night. I would appreciate some advice on how you felt when you new that your departure was imminent and how you coped with it.

An example is I hate my job but now I am worried about leaving it!

Tricia
Old May 5th 2007, 7:33 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone start to really have doubts?

Abnormal would be stepping out of your comfort zone, job, friends, family, home, everything you know and moving to the otherside of the world AND NOT HAVE DOUBTS.

Welcome to migration. We've all been there.
Old May 5th 2007, 7:33 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's understandable that you are worrying if you are doing the right - I'm sure we've all been or will be getting there!
It's a big step and although you may want to do it- it's still daunting.
Hang on to why you want to do it and just go with the flow
Best of luck, the last few months in the UK and the first few in Oz are the hardest - good luck,
Tracey
Old May 5th 2007, 7:53 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Hi Tricia,

its really normal (I hope!) to have doubts at this stage - we're off at the beginning of June and although most of the time I'm really excited, some things just suddenly crop up that make me have doubts and wonder if perhaps its all a big mistake.

I'm quite a practical person but still am finding it an emotional time and in some ways am seeing our life here with rose tints on - for example our family is being great - usually too busy to spend much time with their grandchildren now can't see them enough - its nice but I have to remember they are only doing it because we are going. Also this great weather isn't helping!

If I get doubts I talk them through with my OH, look at houses on realestate and read some of the updates in the Update Forum.

I am finding now that we are down to the last 4 weeks that the doubts are less (probably as we're really at the no going back stage), the main issue now is dreading the goodbyes - I hate crying in public but there is no way I'm going to be able to avoid it!

Rebecca
Old May 5th 2007, 8:02 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JOHN G BLOOM
We have got our visa and sold our house and our flights are booked for 26th June. and I am having doubts that I want to go!! Is this normal or am I completely abnormal.I dont want to feel like this I thought I would be excited,but all these worries keep coming into my head especially in the middle of the night. I would appreciate some advice on how you felt when you new that your departure was imminent and how you coped with it.

Tricia
I know exactly how you are feeling. I felt the same after we sold our house. I wanted to pull out all the way, but something kept saying to me "you will never know until you try"

I was strong and went through with it all. I never felt excited, always doubted everything. I thought it must be shock.

All i can say is stay positive, you've come this far you might aswell carry on.

Good luck
Old May 5th 2007, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Jamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JOHN G BLOOM

Tricia
Tricia, Just read your post and can totally understand how you are feeling, although I'm earlier on in the process! Waking up in the night worrying about things is not nice but things always seem better in the morning. I find that speaking to the OH helps but if you are both focused about it then you will get through it. Like the other replies have said you've come this far and you would be totally gutted in a few years time if you didn't give it a go now! Sometimes I feel as though I can't wait to get over there feel really excited about it, but on other times I'm like OMG what are we doing! Good luck
Old May 5th 2007, 8:40 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG YES YES YES YES

But then I was like that when hubby decided WE should all move, then I warmed to it, then I had major doubts and got upset etc etc worried about leaving the familiarities even though some of them aren't nice ones.
Then was really positive, then really negative.

At the moment on a complete high about it but don't worry won't be long before i'll be bawling into a glass of wine thinking about people i'll have to leave behind and are we really really doing the right thing and then i'll be ok again and I doubt it'll be half as bad as the days leadign up to and leaving the country.

Someone said it's a rollercoaster of emotions and that is so very true, if you hate rollercoasters don't get on, I love them but sometimes I just wish they didn't last as long.

Best of luck you sound quite normal to me

Jen
Old May 5th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all for your replies its good to know I am not alone and I am already starting to feel better.
Old May 5th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

John, we're hardly very far on in this process, but the thing that always gets me through these things is thinking about the very worse that could happen, and then accepting it if you see what I mean. In this situation, the worse that could happen is you hate it, you come back to the UK, but you and your family will still have had an experience of a life time, and one that will bring you all closer together. So not that bad! Good luck!