Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anyone ship their car??

Wikiposts

Did anyone ship their car??

Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:38 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Did anyone ship their car??

Originally Posted by Rooksie
im sorry i still disagree - drive a golf v6 and get back to me then!!! come on fells - i am biased!!!

anyway, have been in contact with VW in Oz and Alex is spot on - hey did not import the V6 - ergo, i have to sell otherwise could be very costly. my only concern now is that it goes to a good home.

Red Golf V6 4 Motion (2.8) anyone???????

*sob* *Sobs *sob*
I'll give you £2,000 for it
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:11 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gavstrad
I think, not actually sure, but its the cost of changing dials to kmh from miles, the Oz equivalent of an MOT etc... Basically making the car Oz road legal.

Any other ideas???

Gav
No way would that cost $2,500.

Mine has kmph and mph on it`s speedo anyway.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:28 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samnrob2
I'll give you £2,000 for it
bloody cheek!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:49 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Anyone have any idea what the "Australian Costs" in the Karmanshippiing.co.uk cost calculator mean? ie is that the customs import duty of 10%, as it seems pretty high otherwise. I thought any unpacking was included in the shipping, and what is the `as landed valuation`... you pay to have them value your car? Need more info.

ROUGH GUIDE / QUICK CALCULATION OF THE COSTS TO TAKE A CAR TO AUSTRALIA

Enter the Australian Market Value from www.redbook.com.au : AUD - $ 11,000

Enter the UK Selling Value from www.parkers.co.uk : GBP - £ 3,800

UK Costs :
Cost of UK collection / delivery estimate: GBP - £ 0
Shipping Costs estimate: GBP - £ 1000
Marine Insurance Cover estimate: GBP - £ 150
TOTAL: GBP - £ 1,150

Australian Costs:
Australian port, unpacking, clearance, quarantine fees, as landed
valuation, customs fees, cleaning etc. - say... AUD - $ 2000
Australian preparation and roadworthy test - say... AUD - $ 500
TOTAL: AUD - $ 2,500

Australian Import Duty and Gst Guesstimate:
(The Import Duty (10%) and GST (10%) is calculated on the
Customs Value of the car, which is normally around 50% of the
Australian Market Value)
TOTAL: AUD - $ 1,431

SUMMARY:

UK Car Value GBP - £ 3,800

UK Costs + Australian Costs + Australian Taxes GBP - £ 2,788

TOTAL OF UK CAR VALUE + ALL COSTS GBP - £ 6,588

AUSTRALIAN MARKET VALUE GBP - £ 4,583

ANY SAVING ? GBP - £ -2,005
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:41 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

The Australian Port costs apply to all imports, be it your car or your container full of household effects, when the container arrives Aussie Customs open it and inspect the contents, assess what duties are payable which have to be paid before they release the imported item(s). Then it will usually be taken to a bonded warehouse where it will undergo a Quarantine inspection. From what I hear and from my own experiences if an item has been used outdoors (ie car) they will require the item to be fumigated/cleaned and ALL traces of soil,dirt etc removed. Once this is complete and Quarantine pass it it is yours to collect. So the port costs are for the inspections/cleaning and depending on time that this takes there could be storage charges too.

There is a good guide to importing a motor vehicle on the Aussie Customs website http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

Unless the car is something classic/rare I really would suggest that it is not worth exporting it, with the costs of shipping, duty etc plus it will then need a roadworthiness inspection, registration fees etc. The insurance will be higher and resale later on could prove a headache. Also as with the Golf if it isn't an Aussie sold model then getting spare parts could mean the car being off the road for an extended period for something minor let alone if it needed a major repair.

Also having spoken to friends who work in the motor industry (manufacturing not dodgy car sales people lol) they confirm stuff like air con is often beefed up for Aussie models and something I had never considered, tyres can be different rubber compounds to cope with less wet cold European tarmac and last longer in a hot climate.

Cars over here will seem expensive by European standards, especially second hand) but they hold their secondhand values much better, are generally higher specced with standard equipment and last longer due to not having to cope with the crap European winters and salt on the roads.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Some thing that you may not know is that VW australia only sold the mark 4 golf in 5 door not 3 door. If yours is 3 door it will be a rare one in oz but body parts will need to be imported if it gets hit !
Actually 200 R32 3 door mk4 golfs were sold (a few still unregistered on the forecourt, they aren't cheap!!!). Also they stuffed up an order and some 3 door GTI's made it in but the numbers were small. An R32 can be picked up for $50K now. That 20K pounds so may be worth bringing yours out.

I'd say 4K pounds to ship/pay taxes etc for your motion is cheap. Cost me nearly 2K pounds to bring my mk2 gti.

All your ozzie volks info found here.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=137

Goodluck
Old Mar 13th 2005, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by evorobin
Actually 200 R32 3 door mk4 golfs were sold (a few still unregistered on the forecourt, they aren't cheap!!!). Also they stuffed up an order and some 3 door GTI's made it in but the numbers were small. An R32 can be picked up for $50K now. That 20K pounds so may be worth bringing yours out.

I'd say 4K pounds to ship/pay taxes etc for your motion is cheap. Cost me nearly 2K pounds to bring my mk2 gti.

All your ozzie volks info found here.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=137

Goodluck

Ohhh Ohhhh *excitement* - so you think might be worth while bring my V6 4 motion *running round the room in excitement* - i desperately want to keep it!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!

i spoke to VW Aus and they said they didnt import the V6 but parts shouldnt be a problem etc etc

YIPPPEEEEE

it will still cost me in the region of 4k though but it has air con and is only 3 years old so not a nail.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 8:23 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Some thing that you may not know is that VW australia only sold the mark 4 golf in 5 door not 3 door. If yours is 3 door it will be a rare one in oz but body parts will need to be imported if it gets hit !
AND because its a full import, no one here will touch it wth, a 40 ft pole so you will have to drive till it dies, also like the Peugot we had in recently, the mezzanine, they built over the car collapsed causing mega damage. so the car whent straight to the crash shop. :scared: ................... MM
Old Mar 13th 2005, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mr mover
AND because its a full import, no one here will touch it wth, a 40 ft pole so you will have to drive till it dies, also like the Peugot we had in recently, the mezzanine, they built over the car collapsed causing mega damage. so the car whent straight to the crash shop. :scared: ................... MM

oh bu**er ... i don't know!!!!!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
Mate that is a load of shit. I know a lot of people that would buy this car if it ever came on the market!

Rooksie when you bring it out if things don't go to plan I'll gladly take it off your hands
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:25 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing to be aware of and check before you leave is the car's ability to cope with different octane rating fuels.

In the UK Unleaded is 95 Octane and Super Unleaded 98 Octane

In Australia Unleaded is 91 Octane, Premium Unleaded is 95 Octane, and High Octane fuel like BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax is 98 Octane.

Regarding cost of the different fuels our local station's prices today were: Normal unleaded $1.02/ltr Premium Unleaded $1.09/ltr and Optimax I didn't notice.

With electronic engine management it should cope on the lower rating normal unleaded but will retard the ignition progressively until it runs 'properly' which may not be good for the engine in the long run. Basically check with a VW dealer in the UK whether it will run on 91 octane, check what the ECU is set to run on now (a lot of UK performance models have ideal settings for 98 but will run fine on 95, put 91 in them and it won't help)

Basic rule of thumb is if you have a sports or high compression engine then don't use anything less than 95 Octane in it.

Also be aware in Queensland especially some fuels are blended with ethanol, again check with a VW dealer whether this will cause a problem.

Some more info here:

http://motoring.racv.com.au/racvm/petrol/WWFuel.cfm
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

Mate that is a load of shit. I know a lot of people that would buy this car if it ever came on the market!

Rooksie when you bring it out if things don't go to plan I'll gladly take it off your hands

can you try convincing my husband would be a good idea to bring car

i cant bear to leave it here in uk - it needs its mommy!!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:45 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you dont have many friends............ mm
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:59 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rooksie
can you try convincing my husband would be a good idea to bring car

i cant bear to leave it here in uk - it needs its mommy!!
This is still a Golf we're talking about isn't it?!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by samnrob2
This is still a Golf we're talking about isn't it?!

there's a golf and there's a GOLF V6 - significant difference matey!!

(i am beginning to wish i hadnt started this thread however!!)

christ, talk about Men & Motors!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.