Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anyone ship their car??

Wikiposts

Did anyone ship their car??

Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:47 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Did anyone ship their car??

Could you give us a breakdown how you arrived at £4,500?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormz
Could you give us a breakdown how you arrived at £4,500?
There is an Excel spreadsheet that does it all for you:

Follow: http://www.karmanshipping.co.uk/aus.../australia.html and then press the "IS IT WORTHWHILE SHIPPING YOUR CAR?" button at the top of the page. Then "click here to calculate" in red...

Gav
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:18 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gavstrad

Follow: http://www.karmanshipping.co.uk/aus.../australia.html and then press the "IS IT WORTHWHILE SHIPPING YOUR CAR?" button at the top of the page. Then "click here to calculate" in red...

Gav
thats what i did and i have also just spoke to Richard at Karman Shipping and he confirmed that it will cost me in the region of £4,000 for shipping, stamp duty and taxes based on my cars value of, say, £12,000 or thereabouts. now to convince my husband that we should ship my car - FAT BLEEDIN CHANCE!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rooksie
thats what i did and i have also just spoke to Richard at Karman Shipping and he confirmed that it will cost me in the region of £4,000 for shipping, stamp duty and taxes based on my cars value of, say, £12,000 or thereabouts. now to convince my husband that we should ship my car - FAT BLEEDIN CHANCE!!
That's a third of the value of the car, would it not be easier & more cost effective to buy something similar in Oz ? Presumably they have equivalent models there ?

Having said that I'm looking to take my car, but it's not something that's readily available in Australia.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bodger
That's a third of the value of the car, would it not be easier & more cost effective to buy something similar in Oz ? Presumably they have equivalent models there ?

Having said that I'm looking to take my car, but it's not something that's readily available in Australia.

mine also not readily available in Oz - the agent couldnt even find one for sale to compare values!!! it is a Golf V6 (2.8) 4 Motion and come Hell or high water its coming with me!!

ummmmm now all i need to do is convince my husband.

one thing i found out speaking to the agent was that you pay stamp duty of 2% on all car sales each time it changes hands (just like house sales over here i guess). blimey!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:40 am
Account Closed

just had an email from shipping agent - im looking at £4,000 to £4,500 - thats just nuts. have decided to advertise for sale and if i dont get a realistic price THEN i will ship it.

one consolation was that he said anything in the car would be shipped free - 2 kids????
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice

just had an email from shipping agent - im looking at £4,000 to £4,500 - thats just nuts. have decided to advertise for sale and if i dont get a realistic price THEN i will ship it.

one consolation was that he said anything in the car would be shipped free - 2 kids????
I'm sure you'll be able to get something equivalent in Oz, there are plenty of car web sites you could check out to get some ideas. Shame they make it so prohibitively expensive in terms of duty though
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:49 am
Account Closed

I'm sure you'll be able to get something equivalent in Oz, there are plenty of car web sites you could check out to get some ideas. Shame they make it so prohibitively expensive in terms of duty though

just thinking about selling it and all those 'erberts coming round and looking at it and stuff is really pi**ing me off. i cant bear it. im tempted to just take it to a VW dealer and selling it to them so its less painful. *sob* *sob* *sob*
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:49 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Some thing that you may not know is that VW australia only sold the mark 4 golf in 5 door not 3 door. If yours is 3 door it will be a rare one in oz but body parts will need to be imported if it gets hit !
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

mine also not readily available in Oz - the agent couldnt even find one for sale to compare values!!! it is a Golf V6 (2.8) 4 Motion and come Hell or high water its coming with me!!

ummmmm now all i need to do is convince my husband.

one thing i found out speaking to the agent was that you pay stamp duty of 2% on all car sales each time it changes hands (just like house sales over here i guess). blimey!!
Just checked and it looks like VW Australia never imported the Golf 4Motion, which is a bit strange as they did import the Bora 4Motion which is still available.

However in Oz they seem much more interested in Saloons than hatchbacks (similar to USA)..

Fancy switching to a Bora 4Motion? or an A3 Quattro (much nicer car than the Golf 4Motion IMHO )

Even if you did ship the 4Motion over, likely to find problems with Insurance and Servicing.

Sorry :-(

Alex
Old Mar 9th 2005, 2:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alex Hall
Just checked and it looks like VW Australia never imported the Golf 4Motion, which is a bit strange as they did import the Bora 4Motion which is still available.

However in Oz they seem much more interested in Saloons than hatchbacks (similar to USA)..

Fancy switching to a Bora 4Motion? or an A3 Quattro (much nicer car than the Golf 4Motion IMHO )

Even if you did ship the 4Motion over, likely to find problems with Insurance and Servicing.

Alex
thanks for that alex - although i have to disagree about the quattro being nicer than V6!!!! but each to their own!!!

more importantly, what you have discovered re: no V6 in Oz is the most valuable piece of information i have received - so thanks heaps i searched auto trader in oz and there were only 3 for sale in entire country and they were as old as 94 and 95 so obviously old imports that had simply been run into the ground. ergo, i will flog my car over here but only to a good home! *sob* *sob*

thanks again - your input has been a real decider for me!!

boo hoooo
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:47 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gavstrad

Gav
Hmmmm. What the hell is the "Australian Costs". I`d factored in the shipping and then customs duty and gst, but never heard of the aus port stuff:

UK Costs :
Cost of UK collection / delivery estimate: GBP - £ 50
Shipping Costs estimate: GBP - £ 1300
Marine Insurance Cover estimate: GBP - £ 150
TOTAL: GBP - £ 1,500

Australian Costs:
Australian port, unpacking, clearance, quarantine fees, as landed
valuation, customs fees, cleaning etc. - say... AUD - $ 2000
Australian preparation and roadworthy test - say... AUD - $ 500
TOTAL: AUD - $ 2,500

Australian Import Duty and Gst Guesstimate:
(The Import Duty (10%) and GST (10%) is calculated on the
Customs Value of the car, which is normally around 50% of the
Australian Market Value)
TOTAL: AUD - $ 1,620
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormz
Hmmmm. What the hell is the "Australian Costs". I`d factored in the shipping and then customs duty and gst, but never heard of the aus port stuff:
I think, not actually sure, but its the cost of changing dials to kmh from miles, the Oz equivalent of an MOT etc... Basically making the car Oz road legal.

Any other ideas???

Gav
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:11 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alex Hall

Alex
I agree with Alex - def go for Audi Quattro over Golf. My wife has a lower spec golf which is ok, but I've been 'up against' (if ya know what I mean ) the top range Golf's and for me - it's still just a VW. There is a sense of elitism with the Quattro - get that instead and save your money or containers.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:20 am
Account Closed

im sorry i still disagree - drive a golf v6 and get back to me then!!! come on fells - i am biased!!!

anyway, have been in contact with VW in Oz and Alex is spot on - hey did not import the V6 - ergo, i have to sell otherwise could be very costly. my only concern now is that it goes to a good home.

Red Golf V6 4 Motion (2.8) anyone???????

*sob* *Sobs *sob*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.