Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anyone get the extra baggage allowance on return flights ??

Did anyone get the extra baggage allowance on return flights ??

Old May 4th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice
Default Did anyone get the extra baggage allowance on return flights ??

Hi Guys,

We booked return flights to Perth on Emitates to validate our visa's while we are waiting for our house to sell. Our plans have changed and we are only going to go one way now because we are going to rent our house out instead.

I asked Emirates if we are now entitled to the extra baggage allowance, but they told me that beacause we booked return tickets it wasn't allowed and we are only entitled to 20Kg each.

So I asked if we could change the tickets to one way only and they said we could, but there is a £200 per ticket cancellation charge (£800 total).

We paid £2500 for the return flights and they want to charge £800 to cancel so that leaves us with £1700 to buy one way tickets with. Have a guess how much the one way tickets will actually cost. Yes you have guessed it...........£1700.

So I say to Emirates that we are not cancelling the outward bound flight, we are just not coming back, so is there any comprimise we could agree too, say £100 cancellation charge or 30Kg each baggage allowance.

They tell us NO !! Fckn tight arses.

Has anyone managed to talk Emirates or any other airline for that matter into getting the extra baggage allowance?

Thanks

Rob:curse:
Old May 4th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Did anyone get the extra baggage allowance on return flights ??

Originally Posted by liverpool12
Hi Guys,

We booked return flights to Perth on Emitates to validate our visa's while we are waiting for our house to sell. Our plans have changed and we are only going to go one way now because we are going to rent our house out instead.

I asked Emirates if we are now entitled to the extra baggage allowance, but they told me that beacause we booked return tickets it wasn't allowed and we are only entitled to 20Kg each.

So I asked if we could change the tickets to one way only and they said we could, but there is a £200 per ticket cancellation charge (£800 total).

We paid £2500 for the return flights and they want to charge £800 to cancel so that leaves us with £1700 to buy one way tickets with. Have a guess how much the one way tickets will actually cost. Yes you have guessed it...........£1700.

So I say to Emirates that we are not cancelling the outward bound flight, we are just not coming back, so is there any comprimise we could agree too, say £100 cancellation charge or 30Kg each baggage allowance.

They tell us NO !! Fckn tight arses.

Has anyone managed to talk Emirates or any other airline for that matter into getting the extra baggage allowance?

Thanks

Rob:curse:
actually your allowed upto 32KG.

Its really confusing why they tell us all that it 20KG.

But without a fine, your allowed two suitcases upto 32KG each.
http://www.emirates.com/english/help...egoryId=214913
Have a read of this, especially where it says IMPORTATANT towards the bottom

Singapore allows 32KG (without fine).

Hpe this helps...and good luck!

Vik
Old May 4th 2008, 9:40 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viksta1000
actually your allowed upto 32KG.

Its really confusing why they tell us all that it 20KG.

But without a fine, your allowed two suitcases upto 32KG each.
http://www.emirates.com/english/help...egoryId=214913
Have a read of this, especially where it says IMPORTATANT towards the bottom

Singapore allows 32KG (without fine).

Hpe this helps...and good luck!

Vik
Did you mean this bit:
IMPORTANT: Dubai Civil Aviation prohibits the acceptance of bags that weigh more than 70 pounds (32 kg) per single piece, into, out of or via Dubai International Airport. This does not affect the free baggage allowance, but helps in better distribution of weight.
I think you've mis-read it. This means that the maximum weight of any single piece of luggage regardless of weight restrictions is 32kg. So two travellers are allowed a total of 40kg but this regulation points out that if (for example) they shared a case, that single case could not weigh more than 32kg. The baggage allowance for cattle-class travellers is 20kg.
Economy Class 20 kg USA, Canada and Brazil*Two (2) bags. Total dimensions (length, width and height) of each piece must not exceed 63 inches (158 cm). Overall dimensions of the two pieces should not exceed 107 inches (273 cm). Weight of each piece not to exceed 50 pounds (23 kg).
Old May 4th 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wmoore
Did you mean this bit:
I think you've mis-read it. This means that the maximum weight of any single piece of luggage regardless of weight restrictions is 32kg. So two travellers are allowed a total of 40kg but this regulation points out that if (for example) they shared a case, that single case could not weigh more than 32kg. The baggage allowance for cattle-class travellers is 20kg.
Well, we fly with emirates all the time with over 25KG of luggage with 2 suitcases each and they dont say anything.

As long as you dont go over the 32KG they dont say anything

Vik
Old May 4th 2008, 10:19 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we fly with emirates all the time with over 25KG of luggage with 2 suitcases each and they dont say anything.

As long as you dont go over the 32KG they dont say anything

Vik
You must be very lucky! There are many sad stories on this forum of people turning up at the airport with 23kg and having to empty bags or pay extortionate excesses. The tickets say 20kg on them, so unless you have something else in writing, I wouldn't be pushing my luck at check-in.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

You must be very lucky! There are many sad stories on this forum of people turning up at the airport with 23kg and having to empty bags or pay extortionate excesses. The tickets say 20kg on them, so unless you have something else in writing, I wouldn't be pushing my luck at check-in.
lmao, yh true, in total we have flown 6 times with emirates

The first time we ever flew they charged us £180 for being 3KG over...Rip off eh.

After that we swore we would not fly again...but guess what...we did, and we loved it!
since then we have always flown with emirates and have never had less than 25KG, and they dont say anything, they just stick a label on the suitcase that says heavy...and thats it!

Vik
Old May 4th 2008, 10:46 am
What's happening dudes?

lmao, yh true, in total we have flown 6 times with emirates

The first time we ever flew they charged us £180 for being 3KG over...Rip off eh.

After that we swore we would not fly again...but guess what...we did, and we loved it!
since then we have always flown with emirates and have never had less than 25KG, and they dont say anything, they just stick a label on the suitcase that says heavy...and thats it!

Vik
We've flown a few times with Emirates and have been pleased with the service. We used them when we migrated (with a 40kg allowance each) and by my calculations, we brought 83kg in our 3 cases. But the woman on the desk got the maths wrong and said we had 76kg so no probs. I was sweating a bit on an excess charge for a few seconds.

Mind you, I dropped so many hints trying to get bumped up to business class too ..... then as we 'checked in' to the gate area, the old couple in front of us got tapped on the shoulder and bumped. Gutted
Old May 4th 2008, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy an old set of golf clubs, and take the bare minimum golf clubs with you, (7), but fill golf bag up with all of your heavy stuff.

On our initial flight out OH got his "golf" bag over and above his 20Kg allowance, (we were validating so had return tickets and not allowed "migrating" allowance of 40Kgs, suitcase was 20Kgs, "golf" bag was 26 Kgs! So, while we (me and two kids) got 20Kgs each, OH got 46Kgs.

Been back to visit UK three times now, and I always take my "golf" bag back with me.

M

Last edited by Machiavelli; May 4th 2008 at 1:58 pm.
Old May 4th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough

When my OH emigrated to the UK she had 27kgs of baggage on a Virgin flight and didn't have any charges to pay.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:01 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Ms_Fi
When my OH emigrated to the UK she had 27kgs of baggage on a Virgin flight and didn't have any charges to pay.
It seems to depend on if the check-in chick has had a bad morning or not. When we went through Heathrow last year, although we were not over our overall allowance (20kg case and 7kg hand luggage each), it wasn't distributed in exactly the right quantities so we had to sit there in the middle of the terminal shuffling things around so each case was <20kg and each hand luggage was <7kg. I was fully ready to give somebody a slap that day I tell you :curse:
Old May 4th 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough

When we flew back to the UK (Sydney to Manchester) after Christmas we flew with Malaysian and our baggage was a bit wonky - added up we were ok with the combined allowance but 3 of the cases were over.

We didn't have any problems though - the lady at the checkin just added it all up and said we were good to go.

It's daft isn't it - surely the rule should be the same for everyone regardless of which airline or even which checkin agent you get.
Old May 5th 2008, 12:03 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Ms_Fi
It's daft isn't it - surely the rule should be the same for everyone regardless of which airline or even which checkin agent you get.
Hard and fast rules written in stone make life so much easier and reduce the stress levels from an already very stressful situation.
Old May 5th 2008, 12:13 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Hard and fast rules written in stone make life so much easier and reduce the stress levels from an already very stressful situation.
If the plane is half empty, they tend to look the other way, but when it is full, every kg is an issue. I once had an argument why my carry-on was 8kg when 7 was the limit, they wanted it checked in and I told them to go and do an ugly thing to themselves because I was not taking my laptop on board in my hands. Funny enough it worked.
NJ
Old May 6th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Stuey26 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in middle of this one and it seems from many calls that unless your ticket says extra luggage you only get 20kgs. And any over you pay the fee, obviously the check in person can have some discretion but do want to chance getting huge bill.

We have managed to arrange one way flights LHR-MEL for August at £500 each with 40kgs each through IOM.

Whom I've asked on here for opinions of which seem vvariedbut if don't want to stop ok so we are going with it.
Old May 6th 2008, 9:07 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Buy an old set of golf clubs, and take the bare minimum golf clubs with you, (7), but fill golf bag up with all of your heavy stuff.

On our initial flight out OH got his "golf" bag over and above his 20Kg allowance, (we were validating so had return tickets and not allowed "migrating" allowance of 40Kgs, suitcase was 20Kgs, "golf" bag was 26 Kgs! So, while we (me and two kids) got 20Kgs each, OH got 46Kgs.

Been back to visit UK three times now, and I always take my "golf" bag back with me.

M
Thats fine until they check. If you read the fineprint, a golf bag must only contain golf clubs, bag, one set of shoes and 12 balls. I've used the same ruse many times, but like others getting away with more than 20kgs, you could get caught and have to pay/dump stuff. Its not a guarantee of getting extra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.