Reload this Page >

Diary of an immigrant (2)

Diary of an immigrant (2)

Old Apr 29th 2003, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diary of an immigrant (2)

Hi there folks,

Well, another few weeks have passed in "Sunny" Brisbane!!! Unfortunately the weather here over the last couple of weeks has been decidedly like England - very wet and quite chilly - or perhaps I`m just acclimatised?

We`ve just spent a FANTASTIC week in Sydney - wow what a place - it`s really buzzing, full of life, so much to see and do, the public transport (ferries, buses, trains) ran on time and were exceptionally clean. In fact the cleanliness astounded me. So unlike London and so many other cities in the UK. People in Sydney really do seem to take a pride in their environment.

The mix of the "old" and "new" was also great - they`ve obviously a great sense of civic pride down there - again something which we felt was rapidly going down the drain in the UK.

The people there were REALLY friendly - and this refers to a reply I received to my first "Diary" entry - Yes, I have to agree having been here for a bit longer now, that the Queenslanders are a bit "false" and a bit full of the old "bull". This was not the case with the Sydneysiders though. They were genuinely friendly. BIG DIFFERENCE.

In answer to one of the replies to my earlier post, we lived with relatives for the first 6 weeks (not easy) but luckily found our house quickly, and with the 30 day contract settlement period which is standard here, were soon able to move into our new home.

Have to report a slightly negative note now - sorry - when we came back from Sydney I noticed how very Americanised Brisbane and its surrounding suburbs are - from the cars they drive, the shopping malls, the general feeling is definitely one of "hey - is this australia or the US?"

Wish we could afford to live in Sydney - would definitely prefer to live there!!!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 6:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Rosy

Glad to see you are settling in and getting more used to the real view of Brisbane/Australia, I agree that it is very Americanised, all those advertising hoardings everywhere for a start. Where in Brisbane have you settled (and I would agree with an earlier post of yours on quality of primary teaching)
Old Apr 29th 2003, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Rosy Summers been very cool this year. Totally opposite to last year when we boiled from Sept to May and wished we would never see sun again. Dont worry about the cool come Sept/Oct I bet it will be back to a nice? 38ish.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 7:21 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Diary of an immigrant (2)

Originally posted by Rosy

...Queenslanders are a bit "false" and a bit full of the old "bull". This was not the case with the Sydneysiders though. They were genuinely friendly. BIG DIFFERENCE.

...prove it...!!!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

As someone hoping to head for Sydney in Sept, that's great feedback, Thanks for the insight.

From what I have seen of the two cities (albeit only as a tourist last xmas) I'd have to agree. Sydney seems to have its own style and identity, Brisbane is a bit of a 'wannabe'

Kev
Old Apr 29th 2003, 11:19 am
Not here

Originally posted by kevmitch
As someone hoping to head for Sydney in Sept, that's great feedback, Thanks for the insight.

From what I have seen of the two cities (albeit only as a tourist last xmas) I'd have to agree. Sydney seems to have its own style and identity, Brisbane is a bit of a 'wannabe'

Kev
Phew...that's it I'm in Total Awe...you guys need to go into business...you'll make a motza...fortune telling...
Old Apr 29th 2003, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Thanks for the feedback we hope to go to the Sunshine coast, I agree but I thought all of Oz was very American looking, Perth, Adelaide, Sydney etc. Not just Brisbane. We where suprised with the amount of skyscapers in each city.

I too loved Sydney but just abit expensive for us as I loved Palm beach.

Carrianne
Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:11 pm
Not here

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi

...all of Oz was very American looking, Perth, Adelaide, Sydney etc. Not just Brisbane. We where suprised with the amount of skyscapers in each city...
Sorry about that...didn't know you were coming...what would you like...???

We'll get the decorators in next Tuesday...
Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Florida_03
Phew...that's it I'm in Total Awe...you guys need to go into business...you'll make a motza...fortune telling...

Good idea, let's start with you.....

You'll continue to resent all things positive .... and end your days as a sad, lonely isolated winger who feels threatened by change.

Other than that, you'll be loved by all ... and live the American dream.

Good luck. You'll need it!!!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:34 pm
Not here

Originally posted by kevmitch
Good idea, let's start with you.....

You'll continue to resent all things positive .... and end your days as a sad, lonely isolated winger who feels threatened by change.

Other than that, you'll be loved by all ... and live the American dream.

Good luck. You'll need it!!!
No dreams...no wingeing...just sick to death of those without a clue spruiking your generalistic crap and insults...

Brisbane is not a "wannabe" anything...and how would you know...

Brisbane people individually may or may not be "full of IT"...and how would you know...

You lot make sweeping generalisations tagged with abuse and think you know it all...

You don't...nor do I...but then again I'm not here spruiking about the places and people I know nothing about...you are...

Last edited by Florida_03; Apr 29th 2003 at 12:40 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion and perception ... two pillars of personal choice.

You may view our comments as idealistic drivel based on wildly inaccurate generalisations

BUT they remain our opinions and perception - and certainly nothing within your 'contribution' (sic) has helped change our obviously misinformed views

Your respond suggests you feel it as a personal afront when anyone passes an opinion. That says more about you than the people posting a personal view.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

pixie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
Sorry about that...didn't know you were coming...what would you like...???

We'll get the decorators in next Tuesday...

Don't cut yourself on that sharp tongue Florida_03
Old Apr 29th 2003, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Rosy

Thanks for your honesty and keep your views coming.

footie chick
Old Apr 29th 2003, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

here here . Would love to know more. Started off a good thread - same old happened.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

great post rosy
as someone heading for Brisbane in Aug its great to hear views from people who are already there.
Please keep posting your 'diary' as its nice to hear personal opinions on people and places-good or bad !
keep well
wendy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.