British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   dialling uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dialling-uk-305076/)

pootle26 May 25th 2005 9:31 am

dialling uk

hi can someone tell me if i wanted to dial a number in the uk what is the code ??

is it 001144 ??
i know i have to drop the 0 on the area code i.e 01243 becomes 1243

but not sure about the rest

thanks

pootle

louise4 May 25th 2005 9:33 am

Re: dialling uk

Originally Posted by pootle26
hi can someone tell me if i wanted to dial a number in the uk what is the code ??

is it 001144 ??
i know i have to drop the 0 on the area code i.e 01243 becomes 1243

but not sure about the rest

thanks

pootle

Yes that is the country code and yes just drop the 0 at the begining of the uk number

louise

pootle26 May 25th 2005 9:35 am

Originally Posted by louise4
Yes that is the country code and yes just drop the 0 at the begining of the uk number

louise

thanks i thought so but just wanted to make sure

what about dialling a uk mobile ???

pootle

wafoo1 May 25th 2005 9:43 am

pootle

same,drop the zero,and your wallet,actually not to expensive,phoned my friend in the UK,chatted for 10 mins on his mobile cost me 50c,Go Talk quite good,but probably better around

AmandaJ May 25th 2005 9:57 am

Originally Posted by wafoo1
same,drop the zero,and your wallet,actually not to expensive,phoned my friend in the UK,chatted for 10 mins on his mobile cost me 50c,Go Talk quite good,but probably better around

se

Hi

We use a Victory card for calling UK - you can get these from any newsagent (not sure if it's only Victoria though). It works out extremely cheap - I think around 2.5c per minute, although I bought a $50 card which gave me $56 worth of calls. I've used it for about 2-3 hours (I think) calling the UK and still have $49 left.

AJ

Scossie May 25th 2005 10:02 am

pootle

If you want to store a UK mobile No. in your Oz mobile, first key in, +44 then the UK mobile No. dropping the first 0.
So 0123456789 becomes +44123456789.
Then you can phone direct, mobile to mobile, as if you were in the same country.
Strangely enough, it's sometimes cheaper than phoning another Oz mobile as well!!:confused::confused:

JAJ May 26th 2005 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Scossie
If you want to store a UK mobile No. in your Oz mobile, first key in, +44 then the UK mobile No. dropping the first 0.
So 0123456789 becomes +44123456789.
Then you can phone direct, mobile to mobile, as if you were in the same country.
Strangely enough, it's sometimes cheaper than phoning another Oz mobile as well!!:confused::confused:

And often a lot more expensive, especially if using a discount call provider.

Rule of thumb - if you *must* call a UK mobile bear in mind the rates will probably be higher, so ask the person for a landline nearby and call that immediately.

Jeremy

Pollyana May 26th 2005 2:59 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
And often a lot more expensive, especially if using a discount call provider.

Rule of thumb - if you *must* call a UK mobile bear in mind the rates will probably be higher, so ask the person for a landline nearby and call that immediately.

Jeremy

Mobile rates are strange things though - my mate and I can chat (Telstra mobile-UK Orange mobile) for cheaper than he can call his partner in Sussex, from Dublin on Oarnge mobile to landline! Work that one out!!!