Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dewalt Batteries

Dewalt Batteries

Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

carpentry66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dewalt Batteries

Anyone know about Dewalt batteries, i have lots of 18v batteries but some not that old which when i have gone to recharge them a light rapidly flashes on the charging station which indicates that the battery is damaged. I'm thinking that they are damaged because i haven't used them frequently the battery has deteriorated even though they are still new. Can anyone help me with this?
Barry
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dewalt Batteries

I think you are correct, if they have been stored a long time and not charged it is quite possible they are no longer much good. You can get them repacked but not sure of the cost. Ebay, about $80 each.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:18 am
Just Joined

glasgow joiner 1888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think if you leave them for a long. Time(over a year)they won t work .how s the work going down there?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of

Does anyone know about taking lithium ion Makita batteries on an emirates flight? I have phoned them several times but they can't understand my accent. I also wondered about taking hand tools on the hold
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Cant see it being a problem if its checked in. I have asked my mum to bring things over and she is with emirates.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

also At customs declare anything so it doesn't look as if you are trying to conceal anything.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timmerman
Does anyone know about taking lithium ion Makita batteries on an emirates flight? I have phoned them several times but they can't understand my accent. I also wondered about taking hand tools on the hold
I don't think there are any restrictions on taking Li-ion or Li-po batteries on checked or hand luggage, but have a look on their website just ot make sure.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:50 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't think there are any restrictions on taking Li-ion or Li-po batteries on checked or hand luggage.
Li-ion Batteries are a huge no-no for checked in baggage, if you are taking them, make sure they are in your carry on baggage.

http://crews.tv/blog/2010/06/08/fire-at-30000ft/

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...oods/global/en

look at that Dewalt drill, if that had happened during the flight, that would have been an episode of Air crash investigations, thankfully the baggage loader noticed it smoking just before it got loaded. the flight was delayed too, so it SHOULD have burst into flames at 30,000 ft, one of those lucky escapes for the 300 passengers.

Last edited by derab; Feb 29th 2012 at 3:56 am.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derab
Li-ion Batteries are a huge no-no for checked in baggage, if you are taking them, make sure they are in your carry on baggage.

http://crews.tv/blog/2010/06/08/fire-at-30000ft/

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...oods/global/en

look at that Dewalt drill, if that had happened during the flight, that would have been an episode of Air crash investigations, thankfully the baggage loader noticed it smoking just before it got loaded. the flight was delayed too, so it SHOULD have burst into flames at 30,000 ft, one of those lucky escapes for the 300 passengers.
I flew with Qantas a few weeks ago and had a cordless drill with me, They let me put one of the batteries in the checked in luggage and one in my carry on luggage, Not sure how many they will allow you take with you
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

once the lights start flashing the batterery is knackered
I bought 4 of the "not dewalt type" 6 months ago now only one works stick to dewalt brand I have dewalt 14.4 from 10 years ago that still work
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:41 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I flew with Qantas a few weeks ago and had a cordless drill with me, They let me put one of the batteries in the checked in luggage and one in my carry on luggage, Not sure how many they will allow you take with you
That check in person would have faced severe disciplinary procedures if there was an incident. both batteries should have gone in your carry-on luggage (I work in Air freight and I would face a $10,000 USD fine if I sent one in the hold)
they are banned in Airmail and Air freight unless they are coming from the manufacturer. Airlines seriously do not want them in the unattended hold under your feet.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derab
That check in person would have faced severe disciplinary procedures if there was an incident. both batteries should have gone in your carry-on luggage (I work in Air freight and I would face a $10,000 USD fine if I sent one in the hold)
they are banned in Airmail and Air freight unless they are coming from the manufacturer. Airlines seriously do not want them in the unattended hold under your feet.
It was a self check in, I saw the Lithium batteries and clicked it (see check in staff). The staff checked their book and basically didn't know what to do. They just didn't know how to interperate what was written and i think it is very ambigious. See for yourself on the Qantas web site, maybe someone should have a word with them...!!!
I could have just not declared what i was putting in the hold but i'm too honest. I thought I did the right thing and it was all good for me.