Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Devonport, Auckland. Paradise found?

Devonport, Auckland. Paradise found?

Old Jun 15th 2003, 9:12 am
Just Joined

gr8 loc8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Devonport, Auckland. Paradise found?

I arrived here, with my wife and two children in Feb 2003 and found a home in Devonport. It is a fifteen minute ferry ride to the City, fringed by beaches, has great cafes and restaurants and the houses are lovely old colonial style villas. The temperature has just dropped to about 15c during the days and is about 25c in the summer. Have I really found paradise?
Old Jun 15th 2003, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree...Devonport is a great place...a bit expensive for me (single bloke!). So the boys and girls back home can see what it's like, here are some pics I took from the top of Mt Victoria last August on a beautiful winters day.

Looking North to Rangitoto Island:
Attached Thumbnails Devonport, Auckland. Paradise found?-dscf0048a.jpg  

Last edited by BritboyNZ; Jun 15th 2003 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2003, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking towards North Head:
Attached Thumbnails Devonport, Auckland. Paradise found?-dscf0050a.jpg  
Old Jun 15th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking towards Auckland CBD. Devonport Naval base RH corner:
Attached Thumbnails Devonport, Auckland. Paradise found?-dscf0056a.jpg  
Old Jun 15th 2003, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Fab pics BritBoy!

The kids loved them and want to live there NOW!

Old Jun 15th 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Fantastic pictures almost makes me think twice about going to Aus!!
Old Jun 16th 2003, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by The Simpsons
Fab pics BritBoy!

The kids loved them and want to live there NOW!

If you come through Auckland, give me a call 0064 21 445 806 and Maybe you will change your mind for good!Good Luck!!!!!

GR8 LOC8
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that Devonport is a really nice part of Auckland but as with all places nice - property is expensive.

We were looking for a 3/4 bed old style villa near Cheltenham Beach but could find a nice one for less than $700K (NZ).

Not a huge amount in UK terms but a fair amount for NZ.

$700k buys you a lot more further up the coast on the North Shore.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Devonport, Auckland. Paradise found?

Originally posted by gr8 loc8
I arrived here, with my wife and two children in Feb 2003 and found a home in Devonport. It is a fifteen minute ferry ride to the City, fringed by beaches, has great cafes and restaurants and the houses are lovely old colonial style villas. The temperature has just dropped to about 15c during the days and is about 25c in the summer. Have I really found paradise?
How much do you charge? Is it commission based or you are salaried?
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I think you have the answer to the OZ brigade who are in disillusionment at the mo. Post some glorious pictures of OZ, harbour bridge, beaches etc and get them all worked up again.

Problem tho, post beautiful pics of Yorkshire and Cornwall and they'll all be off there. Russia is stunning in Winter I believe.

Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Dosen't seem to have changed much since I left, a beautifull spot. Check out Cheltenham beach it's the best one around Devonport. It's got one of the few resturants with a view of a beach but it onlys seems to cater for functions.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by smithone
I agree that Devonport is a really nice part of Auckland but as with all places nice - property is expensive.

We were looking for a 3/4 bed old style villa near Cheltenham Beach but could find a nice one for less than $700K (NZ).

Not a huge amount in UK terms but a fair amount for NZ.

$700k buys you a lot more further up the coast on the North Shore.
I think that $700k spent in Devonport makes a better investment in the long term, especially if, as a new migrant you want to meet people. The kids have never had it so good, soccer, swimming (sea or pool), walking to school, cycling and generally being able to walk around on their own! This sort of freedom is long gone in the UK and is not possible up the coast.
The whole village atmosphere with the city so close makes it special.
From Takapuna north the beaches are nice but the areas have no character whatsoever!
In ten years time a do up in Devonport will do you right!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2003, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Devenport is a lovely part of the North Shore and it might well be paradise if you work in the city and take the ferry but isn't there a bottleneck trying to drive out of Devenport in the mornings?

Ben
Old Jun 16th 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gr8 loc8
I think that $700k spent in Devonport makes a better investment in the long term, especially if, as a new migrant you want to meet people. The kids have never had it so good, soccer, swimming (sea or pool), walking to school, cycling and generally being able to walk around on their own! This sort of freedom is long gone in the UK and is not possible up the coast.
The whole village atmosphere with the city so close makes it special.
From Takapuna north the beaches are nice but the areas have no character whatsoever!
In ten years time a do up in Devonport will do you right!!!!
I don't think that $700k in Devenport is a good financial investement because there is a limit as to what people will pay for smallish property. I agree fully that its a great lifestyle investement but I don't see too much capital growth in Devenport over the next few years.

Horses for courses and if you work in the CBD and can catch the ferry then its great but if you need to drive anywhere then its a bit more problematic.