Destination NZ

Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:36 am
Just Joined

gazzauk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Destination NZ

Hello.

My wife and I are English living in the UK and we are desparate to move to New Zealand for a better lifestyle. We are currently being assessed for residency but fear that we might be turned down (early indications suggest we might struggle to make the points).

I am keen to know if anybody out there experienced such problems and if so how they went about turning their dream into reality.

All feedback welcome.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 11:04 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Gazzauk,
With the new points system, it is generally hard to know whether you have a enough points. Either way, a job offer is pretty much essential. I was lucky enough to get mine without going out of the UK but may chance all and go over there to get one. Alternatively, try and line a few interviews for a short term visit. I have decided to hang on applying for permenant residence for now. I am due to apply for a work permit for 2 years. It is cheaper to apply for PR over there and would also save me money just in case things did not work out anyway. What line of work are you in?

Rob
Old Jan 30th 2004, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by robernelli
Hiya Gazzauk,
With the new points system, it is generally hard to know whether you have a enough points. Either way, a job offer is pretty much essential. I was lucky enough to get mine without going out of the UK but may chance all and go over there to get one. Alternatively, try and line a few interviews for a short term visit. I have decided to hang on applying for permenant residence for now. I am due to apply for a work permit for 2 years. It is cheaper to apply for PR over there and would also save me money just in case things did not work out anyway. What line of work are you in?

Rob
Hi Rob,

Thanks v much for your prompt feedback. I take it form your message that you are in the UK too.

I am in IT. I have about 20 years experience all in all, the lat 10 being in a project management capacity. I understand from the literature I have read to date that IT skills are in heavy demand out there.

What line of work have you secured, and do you have a family to take with you ?

Cheers, mate.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:51 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I think the chances in IT are better in NZ that in Oz and with 20 years experience I would guess your chances are quite good. I secured a job with Housing New Zealand (Housing Policy is my line of work with about 10 years expereince). Its just me and the wife going. We are quite lucky in that we don't have to commit too much, mainly in that we can rent our house out here and see how it goes.

Do you have family to take?

Rob
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by robernelli
Yeah, I think the chances in IT are better in NZ that in Oz and with 20 years experience I would guess your chances are quite good. I secured a job with Housing New Zealand (Housing Policy is my line of work with about 10 years expereince). Its just me and the wife going. We are quite lucky in that we don't have to commit too much, mainly in that we can rent our house out here and see how it goes.

Do you have family to take?

Rob

Yes, I have 2 kids, both girls aged 11 and 9, so if we're gonna do this thing we need to do it now really. What part of NZ are you going to ? Have you been before ? I worked in Auckland for a month back in 1996. It was good.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:50 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Destination NZ

Originally posted by gazzauk
We are currently being assessed for residency but fear that we might be turned down (early indications suggest we might struggle to make the points).

I am keen to know if anybody out there experienced such problems and if so how they went about turning their dream into reality.

All feedback welcome.
If you are even borderline for points - go for it. There is a degree of flexibility in the new system.

Tacitly, NZIS's current policy is to bump up the numbers of Brits/ Europeans immigrating, to head off some of the issues that letting in high numbers of Asians has raised over the past decade or so.

Don't go labelling me a racist - I'm not - that is my interpretation of the recent rule changes.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Destination NZ

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
If you are even borderline for points - go for it. There is a degree of flexibility in the new system.

Tacitly, NZIS's current policy is to bump up the numbers of Brits/ Europeans immigrating, to head off some of the issues that letting in high numbers of Asians has raised over the past decade or so.

Don't go labelling me a racist - I'm not - that is my interpretation of the recent rule changes.
Thanks, Don.

The problem I think I'll have is that they won't let me in unless I have a job offer, yet employers seem reluctant to interview people who are not already in NZ. A bit 'chicken and egg' so to speak !

Gazza
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:25 am
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Gazauk
and hi Don
ive not been on expats for a while due to computer problems and also settling down here in nz.
The new points system in my opinion is pretty much how Don put it, but with the added bonus of giving you extra points for not going to Auckland(as many of us dont want to anyway)
I have got a lot more points now then when i did before it was changed so go for it.
for a trial run go onto one of the immigration relocation consultancy web sites and fill in one of there assessment forms, it will give you an idea on whether you will qualify or not.
All the best
Gavin
Old Jan 31st 2004, 11:07 am
Just Joined

nzpenguin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ratliffe

with the added bonus of giving you extra points for not going to Auckland(as many of us dont want to anyway)
I have got a lot more points now then when i did before it was changed so go for it.

Gavin
Hi Gavin,

about these extra pts. for not going to Auckland. As far as I understand it, you only get those extra pts. if you either have qualifications in one of those job areas that are called designated growth areas or if you have a specific job offer outside Auckland. I don't think it's enough to just say "yep, I'll be happy not to go to Auckland". We'd be happy not going to Auckland, but as we don't have a job offer or qualifications in one of those designated areas I can't see how we can get those extra pts.

If you can tell me something else, you'll have made my day

Cheers

penguin
Old Jan 31st 2004, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Hello Gazauk
and hi Don
ive not been on expats for a while due to computer problems and also settling down here in nz.
The new points system in my opinion is pretty much how Don put it, but with the added bonus of giving you extra points for not going to Auckland(as many of us dont want to anyway)
for a trial run go onto one of the immigration relocation consultancy web sites and fill in one of there assessment forms, it will give you an idea on whether you will qualify or not.
All the best
Gavin
Thanks Gavin. I've actually alreay tried that already and received a response of 'unlikely'. I think its because I don't have a degree (it didn't tell me the exact reason so I am guessing) which is a right slap in the face when you've got 20+ years of experience in the field!

Thanks for your input though.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

And to those that say higher education was a waste of time ;-)
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:14 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Penguin
dont worry too much. what you need is a job offer in an area which is on the employment shortlist. You can find out the shortlist through the n.z.i.s website. i am a toolmaker by trade and i a employed here as a fitter turner which has given me maximum points, and beleive me i dont have a degree. experience counts for a lot too. They dont want everyone living in Auckland as there is far too many there already. You may not like to hear this but the best approach is to visit there first, i visited for a 2 week period and secured a job no problem. For people with a skill its easy to get a job here and it depends where you want to go, do lots of homework and come over here on a holiday. i have met so many brits here even got loads of british friends here too, some of them came on a holiday went back home sold up and come back to live and they never looked back but we are all different
Gavin
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:48 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Penguin
dont worry too much. what you need is a job offer in an area which is on the employment shortlist. You can find out the shortlist through the n.z.i.s website. i am a toolmaker by trade and i a employed here as a fitter turner which has given me maximum points, and beleive me i dont have a degree. experience counts for a lot too. They dont want everyone living in Auckland as there is far too many there already. You may not like to hear this but the best approach is to visit there first, i visited for a 2 week period and secured a job no problem. For people with a skill its easy to get a job here and it depends where you want to go, do lots of homework and come over here on a holiday. i have met so many brits here even got loads of british friends here too, some of them came on a holiday went back home sold up and come back to live and they never looked back but we are all different
Gavin
Good advice.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

And for those considering a stint in NZ but don't have a degree. Don't be put off.

It used to be the case with the old system that having a degree was pretty much a necessity.

My impression of the new system is that it is job based and having one will get you most of the way with or without a degree.

Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:20 am
Just Joined

nzpenguin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Penguin
dont worry too much. what you need is a job offer in an area which is on the employment shortlist. You can find out the shortlist through the n.z.i.s website. i am a toolmaker by trade and i a employed here as a fitter turner which has given me maximum points, and beleive me i dont have a degree. experience counts for a lot too. They dont want everyone living in Auckland as there is far too many there already. You may not like to hear this but the best approach is to visit there first, i visited for a 2 week period and secured a job no problem. For people with a skill its easy to get a job here and it depends where you want to go, do lots of homework and come over here on a holiday.
Gavin
Thanks Gavin. That's definitely something we've started looking into.

Problem is not having no degree, our problem is more of the egg - chicken kind, no job offer no visa, no visa no job offer. But that's the way the system works and I guess we'll just have to deal with it.

penguin