Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate plea for help. How do you do this?

Desperate plea for help. How do you do this?

Old Sep 24th 2005, 2:46 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Desperate plea for help. How do you do this?

On Monday i have to sit a test. If i pass it will change my life.
I have been given a sample of the likely questions and sorts of stuff i need to know. I am fine with absolutely everything on it except algebra!
Have spent ages online trying to find a site that will explain in plain english to a moron like me, how to work these equations out. Nearly all sites that came up want to charge me money. All i want is someone to tell me how i come to the answer for a couple of simple sums.

So, please,please,please, if there is anyone out there who can answer these equations below AND most importantly tell me what i need to do inside my head to work out similar ones for my test i would be eternally grateful.

Find the value of D

D = A
150 X 500
A = 6

Find the value of V

V= R
S X T

When R = 75 S = 100 and T = 20

I just know the answer will be so longwinded i wont get my head around it! I shall prepare to fail
Old Sep 24th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: Desperate plea for help. How do you do this?

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I have been given a sample of the likely questions and sorts of stuff i need to know. I am fine with absolutely everything on it except algebra!
Have spent ages online trying to find a site that will explain in plain english to a moron like me, how to work these equations out. Nearly all sites that came up want to charge me money. All i want is someone to tell me how i come to the answer for a couple of simple sums.

So, please,please,please, if there is anyone out there who can answer these equations below AND most importantly tell me what i need to do inside my head to work out similar ones for my test i would be eternally grateful.

Find the value of D

D = A
150 X 500
A = 6

Find the value of V

V= R
S X T

I just know the answer will be so longwinded i wont get my head around it! I shall prepare to fail
oooo babe,

I'm sorry, but those questions don't even make any sense to me...I just wanted to reassure you that you are not alone!!

Good luck with the rest of the test though! I'm sure some brainbox on here will explain it for you!!

love sophia xx
Old Sep 24th 2005, 2:59 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

At least you have given me some solace. I'm not alone!

This probably seems silly, but i cant get to sleep worrying about it. Driving me nuts!
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

I can explain these to you in simple English if you can clarify the equations. You either have 3 equations for the first one or have split it over 3 lines (might just be control characters in your typing).
Similarly in the 2nd one. Send me a PM if you want. I'll be back on in an hour.

Chris
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Garsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the rough

Find the value of D

D = A
150 X 500
A = 6

Find the value of V

V= R
S X T

Don't panic, just treat the letters as numbers (but you don't know what the numbers are yet). In the first question you are told what A is so it makes life a whole lot easier.

In the first question you are told that A=6, so D must equal 6 divided 150 times 500, so D must equal 6 divided by 75000 (150 * 150) and so finally D must equal 0.00008. Thats the answer D = 0.00008. So far so good??
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by eintracht
I can explain these to you in simple English if you can clarify the equations. You either have 3 equations for the first one or have split it over 3 lines (might just be control characters in your typing).
Similarly in the 2nd one. Send me a PM if you want. I'll be back on in an hour.

Chris

OMG!

You mean you understand it? you must be einstein not eintracht!

It is a bit confusing as my keyboard wouldnt let me make it as it appears in the test.

First one is A over 150 like a fraction. Same with second one R over S.

I have to go to bed now as i have a plane to catch in 6hrs and i havent been to bed yet!

If you can explain the method to me in simple lingo, i shall fall in love and want your babies. :scared:
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Garsimm
Don't panic, just treat the letters as numbers (but you don't know what the numbers are yet). In the first question you are told what A is so it makes life a whole lot easier.

In the first question you are told that A=6, so D must equal 6 divided 150 times 500, so D must equal 6 divided by 75000 (150 * 150) and so finally D must equal 0.00008. Thats the answer D = 0.00008. So far so good??

Ummm. Well it would be good but the answer to the first one according to the sample test results is 20!!! How do you end up with that. lol

answer to the second question is supposed to be 15.

I cant cope anymore i think my heads going to explode

Last edited by Linda Lushardi; Sep 24th 2005 at 3:15 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:14 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Find the value of D

D = A
150 X 500
A = 6

Find the value of V

V= R
S X T

Hi Linda,
Right, I had to ask hubby for the answers and he THINKS they are correct but I live next door to a maths teacher and when he comes in, I'll double check with him.

Q1. A = 6, so 6
150 x 500 is 6
75000 then find the lowest denominator

so D is 1

V = 75
2000 then find lowest common denominator

(in this case 25 is the lowest number which goes into both)

so V = 3

We think this is correct but I'll post again when I can check it with my neighbour. (He should get it right as he teaches GCSE and A Level students).

I presume the idea is to find the lowest common denominator.

Julie

Last edited by Juliecabs; Sep 24th 2005 at 3:17 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:20 pm
Banned

I had similar ideas to you guys but apparently i was wrong!

If it helps here is a link to the sample test answer page

http://www.nursing.aust.edu.au/pdf/S...st_Answers.pdf

I breezed through the rest without hardly a second thought, but these two questions have be completely stumped.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Find the value of D

D = A
150 X 500
A = 6

Find the value of V

V= R
S X T

Question 1

d = A DIVIDED BY 150 THEN MULTIPLY BY 500 with A being 6
Therefore answer is 6 divided by 150 = 0.04 multiplyied by 500 = 20
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:21 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, hang on. We've all come up with different answers

Think I'll just check with my neighbour
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Garsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the rough

Ummm. Well it would be good but the answer to the first one according to the sample test results is 20!!! How do you end up with that. lol

Ok, sorry, I thought the A was above both the 150 and 500. If it's just above the 150 it's just as easy.

You know that A = 6, so first you have to work out what 6 divided by 150 is. The answer is 0.04. So now you have found out the answer to the fraction you can multiply it by the 500 and get the answer you were looking for - 20. So you have just proved that D = 20.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:25 pm
Chocoholic

Right, so on the 2nd questioln:

R = 75, divided by S (100) = 0.75.
Multiply that by T (20) = 15.

Simple when you know how
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Question 1

d = A DIVIDED BY 150 THEN MULTIPLY BY 500 with A being 6
Therefore answer is 6 divided by 150 = 0.04 multiplyied by 500 = 20

Right ... i AM a thicko. How do you get 0.04? I did divide 6 into 150 and that makes 25.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

This one's just as easy. Substitute the letters for the numbers that you have been told.

So you should end up with V = 75 over 100 and then multiply by this fraction by 20. Always work out the fraction first. Use a calculator if it makes life easier.

75 divided by 100 = 0.75 . So now you can write V = 0.75 X 20. Because you have worked out what the fraction is.

If you multiply 0.75 by 20 you get the answer you were looking for, V = 15.

Hope this helps. Remember, replace the letters with the numbers you have been told, work out the fraction part first. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.