Reload this Page >

Designated Area Sponsored- Area to go

Designated Area Sponsored- Area to go

Old May 28th 2002, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Designated Area Sponsored- Area to go

Hi there

I am thinking of applying to emmigrate to Australia under the Catergory : 'Skilled Designated Area Sponsored' . My cousin who is going to sponsor me lives in Victoria.

1) Do I have to go and settle in Victoria or can I go work and live anywhere in Australia?

2) If I got to Victoria, do I have to go to where my cousin is (an outer suburb) rather than Melbourne?

Many thanks

Chris Asaipillai
Old May 29th 2002, 12:51 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Designated Area Sponsored- Area to go

Hi Chris.

Perhaps surprisingly you are at liberty to live wherever you want in Australia once you have the visa.

The rationale behind the Designated Area Sponsored visa is that you are more likely to settle where your family sponsor is living - but there is no requirement to do so.

Best regards.

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.com, and
http://www.collettandco.com
Old May 29th 2002, 11:20 am
Jaj

Alan It's probably only a matter of time before this changes. They've brought in
provisions allowing for regional employer nominated visas to be cancelled in the
first 2 years, and they're also thinking of bringing in a conditional 2 year
temporary visa for business skill migrants at the end of this year. So give it
another year and it'll apply to people getting regional skilled visas too.

But for the time being, you are correct

Jeremy

>On 29 May 2002 04:20:17 GMT, Alan Collett <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi Chris.
    >
    >Perhaps surprisingly you are at liberty to live wherever you want in Australia once
    >you have the visa.
    >
    >The rationale behind the Designated Area Sponsored visa is that you are more
    >likely to settle where your family sponsor is living - but there is no requirement
    >to do so.
    >
    >Best regards.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >Alan Collett alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534 and
    >a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
    >http://www.gomatilda.com, and http://www.collettandco.com
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Alan Collett
    >
    >Tom
    >
    >Tom
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 29th 2002, 11:33 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy,

I hope you are wrong - people need to have a certain degree of freedom to move about, and in practice how are DIMIA going to police such a system? Knock on the visa holder's last known address at 6am in the morning to make sure the visa holder still lives there? It would be a sad day when that happens.

Cancelling a visa if you cease to be employed by your sponsoring company is fairly straightforward, as is the situation where a business visa holder is required to set up a business within a certain timescale - but if there was a requirement for designated area sponsored visa holders to demonstrate a presence in a location I would expect people to simply retain some kind of mailing address in the designated area.

Some common sense is needed in this area of policy, otherwise Australia will cease to attract those it proclaims to need.

Best regards.

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.com, and
http://www.collettandco.com
Old May 29th 2002, 1:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Jeremy,

And it will be another 2 years before the High Court brings the whole thing down in a
screaming heap. In the case of employer nominations it is probably reasonable as the
visa is granted on the basis of a relationship with an employer. But in any other
case there will be serious Constitutional concerns.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

>Alan It's probably only a matter of time before this changes. They've brought in
    >provisions allowing for regional employer nominated visas to be cancelled in the
    >first 2 years, and they're also thinking of bringing in a conditional 2 year
    >temporary visa for business skill migrants at the end of this year. So give it
    >another year and it'll apply to people getting regional skilled visas too.
    >
    >But for the time being, you are correct
    >
    >Jeremy
    >
    >>On 29 May 2002 04:20:17 GMT, Alan Collett <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Chris.
    >>
    >>Perhaps surprisingly you are at liberty to live wherever you want in Australia once
    >>you have the visa.
    >>
    >>The rationale behind the Designated Area Sponsored visa is that you are more
    >>likely to settle where your family sponsor is living - but there is no requirement
    >>to do so.
    >>
    >>Best regards.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Alan Collett alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
    >>and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
    >>http://www.gomatilda.com, and http://www.collettandco.com
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>--
    >>Alan Collett
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>
    >>Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 29th 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

Alan I guess the way they would at least try to implement it is by having people get
temporary visas initially and then convert to PR two years later on the basis of
proof they have lived in their designated area.

It's a minefield I agree. The only point in favour of such a scheme is that possibly
it might encourage greater use of the STNI by the States, especially those that don't
currently use it. There must be some level of concern in the states that if they give
out STNI nominations to too many people, they will find people simply getting their
visa and going to Sydney, Brisbane etc.

Unless of course the States devise other ways of sifting genuine applicants for their
State from non-genuine, but that could well involve interviews of some sort.

I would think the issue applies particularly to STNI, as it's not employer or
relative sponsored and so people don't have this link to their designated area
before arriving.

Jeremy

>On 29 May 2002 14:20:28 GMT, Alan Collett <[email protected]> wrote: Jeremy,
    >
    >I hope you are wrong - people need to have a certain degree of freedom to move
    >about, and in practice how are DIMIA going to police such a system? Knock on the
    >visa holder's last known address at 6am in the morning to make sure the visa holder
    >still lives there? It would be a sad day when that happens.
    >
    >Cancelling a visa if you cease to be employed by your sponsoring company is fairly
    >straightforward, as is the situation where a business visa holder is required to
    >set up a business within a certain timescale - but if there was a requirement for
    >designated area sponsored visa holders to demonstrate a presence in a location I
    >would expect people to simply retain some kind of mailing address in the
    >designated area.
    >
    >Some common sense is needed in this area of policy, otherwise Australia will cease
    >to attract those it proclaims to need.
    >
    >Best regards.

Old Mar 10th 2003, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Chris Day is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Hi

I've heard recently that the Skilled Area Designated (139’s) applications are being fast-tracked. We are hoping that this might just present us with a window of opportunity.

My wife has an Aunt and a cousin in Sydney and 2 more cousins in Adelaide. We were planning to live near Sydney so the Aunt has agreed to sponsor us (on a 138) whilst the Sydney cousin is our Assuror. However, these visas are taking some time and if we can get a 139 visa in significantly less time that would be a real bonus.

What I need to confirm is that I can be sponsored by my wife’s cousin in Adelaide and then go and live in Sydney? Previous posts from last year, on this site, have suggested that this is the possible but that the rules might be changing. Any body know if I can still live where I like?

Regards
Chris
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:54 am
Migration Agent

Yep, there are (still) no restrictions placed on where a 139-visa holder can live.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Chris Day
Hi

I've heard recently that the Skilled Area Designated (139’s) applications are being fast-tracked. We are hoping that this might just present us with a window of opportunity.

My wife has an Aunt and a cousin in Sydney and 2 more cousins in Adelaide. We were planning to live near Sydney so the Aunt has agreed to sponsor us (on a 138) whilst the Sydney cousin is our Assuror. However, these visas are taking some time and if we can get a 139 visa in significantly less time that would be a real bonus.

What I need to confirm is that I can be sponsored by my wife’s cousin in Adelaide and then go and live in Sydney? Previous posts from last year, on this site, have suggested that this is the possible but that the rules might be changing. Any body know if I can still live where I like?

Regards
Chris
Old Mar 11th 2003, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are hoping to go on a class 139 (skilled designated area sponsored), as my Aunt is willing to sponsor us. We are not sure about an assurer, will we need one if we were taking a lot of dollars (or pounds)?