Depression

Old May 19th 2004, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Depression

Anyone had it. Anyone had it as a result of your move? I went through a bad patch the second half of 2003. never thought it would happen to me as I can be a risk taker and always felt I could handle anything but the pressure of a hard 3 years or so in business got to me. It wasnt like I had lost everything and had nothing to live for - it was an accumulation of stress to the point my brain couldnt let go of it - I took it all on myself and for quite a while I really felt like i didnt want to wake up in the morning. Im OK now - still a bit sensitive but pretty much back to normal. if any of your partners are suffering from depression the best thing you can do is give heaps of love and encouragement - try and shoulder some of the load - too much encouragement is never enough when your'e going through it.

anyway it may have helped prompt the move to Oz and Im looking forward to it. Tickets are booked - we arrive in Bris at 5.10 on July 13.

Graham
Old May 19th 2004, 6:30 am
Application in!

Andy66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Depression

Originally posted by glhall
Anyone had it. Anyone had it as a result of your move? I went through a bad patch the second half of 2003. never thought it would happen to me as I can be a risk taker and always felt I could handle anything but the pressure of a hard 3 years or so in business got to me. It wasnt like I had lost everything and had nothing to live for - it was an accumulation of stress to the point my brain couldnt let go of it - I took it all on myself and for quite a while I really felt like i didnt want to wake up in the morning. Im OK now - still a bit sensitive but pretty much back to normal. if any of your partners are suffering from depression the best thing you can do is give heaps of love and encouragement - try and shoulder some of the load - too much encouragement is never enough when your'e going through it.

anyway it may have helped prompt the move to Oz and Im looking forward to it. Tickets are booked - we arrive in Bris at 5.10 on July 13.

Graham
Hi Graham,

Firstly, I am glad you are feeling better. Someone in your situation would benefit from a bit of professional counselling too. One of the worst things about depression is the inability to "see the wood for the trees" and it often takes an independent observer to guide a way out but also help you come up with a strategy to avoid it happening again. It is difficult to rebuild self esteem on your own.

Good Luck on a full recovery

Andy
Old May 19th 2004, 6:47 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by glhall

Graham
Hi Graham

good post..I don't think many people would like to admit to having suffered depression..reckon its still a "taboo subject" in society but so many suffer from it, some not even recognising the signs.!!!I am not poo pooing it either I know many who have suffered it.

Good luck with the move Graham.

P
Old May 19th 2004, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Good luck with your move to Brisbane- where are you settling - lots of us live near by so hopefully we might be able to meet up and help you settle in.

In my days of living in England when I was depressed with it all, I took St John's Wort. It is a well known natural herbal remedy for depression, I found it quite effective. At one point I was on double dose!

You should be able to buy it from Health shops and it is fairly safe, however it might take a few weeks for it to take effect.

Hope things work out for you over here. At least the weather will cheer you up, it was 28c today in Brisbane.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
Good luck with your move to Brisbane- where are you settling - lots of us live near by so hopefully we might be able to meet up and help you settle in.

In my days of living in England when I was depressed with it all, I took St John's Wort. It is a well known natural herbal remedy for depression, I found it quite effective. At one point I was on double dose!

You should be able to buy it from Health shops and it is fairly safe, however it might take a few weeks for it to take effect.

Hope things work out for you over here. At least the weather will cheer you up, it was 28c today in Brisbane.
be careful with St Johns Wart. It can react with other medicines including the pill.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:57 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Very true Bondi...

Graham I have sent you a PM..
Old May 19th 2004, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tinaj

We want to live northern outskirts or even as far as noosa but will depend on where I can get a job.

My wife suggested I try anti depressants at the time but i didnt in the end. Its something that creeps up and is hard to get rid of at the time. We would love to meet up with you lot over there and will try & get addresses before we leave.

Graham
Old May 19th 2004, 7:15 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/compleme...rbs.shtml#wort

St John's Wort (hypericum perforatum)
Source: Flower and aerial parts.
Actions: Anti-depressant, sedative, anti-spasmodic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, astringent.
Therapeutic Uses: Depression, anxiety, insomnia, viral infections, menstrual cramps, menopausal stress, insect bites and burns, neuralgia and cramp.
Typical preparation: Capsule, infusion, liquid tincture, cream.
Contraindications: Can cause light sensitivity so exposure to sun should be avoided. Not to be taken together with the contraceptive pill, anti-epilepsy treatments and a number of other medications including anti-depressants. If you are taking any medication consult your doctor before starting St John's Wort. Also should not be taken together with foods that contain tyramine i.e. cheese, red wine, preserved meats and yeast extracts.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

Graham

Sorry to hear that you haven't been the greatest.

Depression is really a physical disease which is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain due to lack of seratonin. If you think of your brain as an engine, seratonin is the oil that keeps it running smoothly, particularly with regard to emotions. Prolonged periods of stress or a sudden traumic event ensures that the brain has more work to do thus draining seratonin resources and thus causing imbalanced emotional reactions - i.e. very negative thinking, worthlessness, hopelessness, etc..

St Johns Wort will assist you to stay off depression by helping you feel better but antidepressants are the only way to replace lost seratonin once you have become ill. Talking treatments, such as cognitive behavioural therapy, will also greatly help, particularly in conjunction with a course of anitdepresants. A very simple technique is also to make sure that you do things that you enjoy each day. When you enjoy yourself, your body relaxes and your brain takes in more oxygen helping it to regenerate. So having fun really does help!!

There have been huge advances in antidepressants during the last 5 years, and though side-effects can still exist, they have improved massively. I would recommend them but you need to be sure that you take the right one for you. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is by trial and error which can be hard, demoralising and make you feel worse. But it is worth it in the long run.

The good news is that depression is much more widely recognised in Australia than the UK and it doesn't hold the same stigma. If it does happen again you may find that the Australian medical profession may be more receptive than their UK counterparts.

Regardless, good luck with the move and hope you enjoy your new life.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by finsbury
Graham

Depression is really a physical disease which is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain due to lack of seratonin. If you think of your brain as an engine, seratonin is the oil that keeps it running smoothly, particularly with regard to emotions. Prolonged periods of stress or a sudden traumic event ensures that the brain has more work to do thus draining seratonin resources and thus causing imbalanced emotional reactions - i.e. very negative thinking, worthlessness, hopelessness, etc..

St Johns Wort will assist you to stay off depression by helping you feel better but antidepressants are the only way to replace lost seratonin once you have become ill. Talking treatments, such as cognitive behavioural therapy, will also greatly help, particularly in conjunction with a course of anitdepresants. A very simple technique is also to make sure that you do things that you enjoy each day. When you enjoy yourself, your body relaxes and your brain takes in more oxygen helping it to regenerate. So having fun really does help!!

There have been huge advances in antidepressants during the last 5 years, and though side-effects can still exist, they have improved massively. I would recommend them but you need to be sure that you take the right one for you. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is by trial and error which can be hard, demoralising and make you feel worse. But it is worth it in the long run.

The good news is that depression is much more widely recognised in Australia than the UK and it doesn't hold the same stigma. If it does happen again you may find that the Australian medical profession may be more receptive than their UK counterparts.

I think Im pretty well over it now because the stress of that situation is off. im pretty relaxed about moving a family of 7 over to Oz anyway - I think you're right about the chemical imbalance because its not something you can talk yourself out of. There are probably alot of people out there who have experienced it to some degree during their lives. Not often talked about especially by men - but I have a much greater compassion now for others who may be affected by it.

Cheers
Graham
Old May 19th 2004, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

Originally posted by finsbury
Graham

What does it physically feel like?
Old May 19th 2004, 9:32 am

Originally posted by Alborg
What does it physically feel like?
From those that I know they say a comparison is a neverending hangover.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:33 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi graham,

Good to hear things are better. I can relate to what you say very well.

I found exercise is phenomenally good at keeping depression away. There is scientific research which supports that I believe - I think it's something to do with keeping the levels of serotonin at a naturally high level.

Of course, the last thing most people who are depressed want to do is exercise. Works for me though - if I find for some reason that my regular exercise falls away completely, I also find that my outlook on the world becomes a whole lot more negative. Time and time again I have noticed this - the first few times I didn't make the connection, but after conducting experiments on myself(! ), I figured it out.

Best of luck with the move....
Old May 19th 2004, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
From those that I know they say a comparison is a neverending hangover.
A friend who suffered very badly said it was like walking through a tunnel, but you could never see the light at the end of it.
And even if people tried to help, you just couldn't make the decision to accept the help, because you couldn't see any way out.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:50 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

For the benefit of anyone else out there, as a chronic sufferer I agree with just about everything said here so far. Yes there can be a lot of stigma; yes, St John's Wort, anti-depressants, cognitive therapy and exercise can all help; yes, as with anything you take for medicinal purposes, there can be interference with other medicines.

Be warned though that anything you take (whether herbal or mainstream) to combat the effects may have no effect at all (body chemistries vary a lot) and even if it is going to help, it won't do so for the first month and may even make you feel worse at first! If you get something prescribed and it still doesn't seem to help after say six weeks then go straight back to your doctor and ask for something different.

Also it's a good idea to ask someone close to you to try to monitor your state of mind dispassionately (hard thing I know!) as it's really hard to judge for yourself whether you're getting better or worse or whatever, especially in the short term.

I'm very encouraged to hear that there's less stigma in Oz. Maybe I'll dare to get a t-shirt made!

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.