Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

department stoes / catalogues

department stoes / catalogues

Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

charlie.no9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default department stoes / catalogues

does anyone have any limks for big department stores , for house hold goods and electrical appliances , in adelaide, or do they have a similar system to us and hve catalogues as in kays and littlewoods , just that we need to price up loads of gear before we decide wether to fill a container or buy out there
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: department stoes / catalogues

have you tried a search, saw something awhile back people did a price conversation of electrical goods ext

hope this helps gee x
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

tolcrothlogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: department stoes / catalogues

Must be honest everything I've seen so far in OZ furniture shops is vastly overpriced and very oldfashioned, I've been told this is because they have to import everything and the government levy a huge tax on items improted which is then passed onto the consumer. We were going to leave everything in the UK and start again in OZ until we realised just how expensive this option was going to be. I think we would have ended up sitting on orange boxes for a long time - mind you the orange boxes would have made more of a statement then furniture you'd find out there !!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:57 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie.no9
does anyone have any limks for big department stores , for house hold goods and electrical appliances , in adelaide, or do they have a similar system to us and hve catalogues as in kays and littlewoods , just that we need to price up loads of gear before we decide wether to fill a container or buy out there
Ikea are about to open in Adelaide if that's of any use to you.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:44 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tolcrothlogan
Must be honest everything I've seen so far in OZ furniture shops is vastly overpriced and very oldfashioned, I've been told this is because they have to import everything and the government levy a huge tax on items improted which is then passed onto the consumer. We were going to leave everything in the UK and start again in OZ until we realised just how expensive this option was going to be. I think we would have ended up sitting on orange boxes for a long time - mind you the orange boxes would have made more of a statement then furniture you'd find out there !!
Really dont know where you have been shopping then! Like anywhere we have expensive furniture shops. Like anywhere we have IKEA!

For example, local to us we have a simply HUGE store called Super A Mart which stocks furniture you would be very hard pressed to beat price wise, Freedom - a habitat type trend place and an abudance of Bali/Asian imported stores.

Sure there are more traditional stores and varying price ranges but I'd suggest having a good look around and you'll find the prices you are looking for and everything from ultra modern to traditionalist.

Perhaps a big difference is that if you are shopping rurally or outisde ciy centres you are going to struggle. Personally here in Brisbane we found the selections big and modern, just depends where you go!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

tolcrothlogan is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I have a problem with anywhere that has 'mart' in its' title ! Just kidding, I'm sure that I will eventually fall in love with a store in OZ and spend far too much money in it like I do in the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

There is a store over here to cater for every taste, quality and price so don't worry about the everything being old fashioned remark.

As stated in previous posts you can by decent stuff at reasonable prices at http://www.superamart.com.au/

Freedom are slightly more upmarket http://www.freedom.com.au/

Nick Scali are quite expensive www.nickscali.com.au/

Ikea are also here as previously stated http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_AU/

There are loads of other places like Homemaker City dotted all over the place www.homemakercity.com/

We came with nothing and spent 2 to 3 weeks looking around everywhere and making lists and then haggling and more haggling and saving thousands.