Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).

Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).

Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).

They are saying because you will be there temporarily then the Super payments are irrelevant to you and they basically want their money back..

Very suspect indeed. Try Alan Collett or the Fairwork Australia..
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D J Smith
ok abi31

this is how it is worded.

Superannuation contributions: If the company is obliged to pay superannuation contributions on your behalf while you work in Australia, the Company will contribute 10% of your ordinary time earnings to an Australian complying Superannuation fund. When you come to the end of your assignment in Australia, the company will request that you take the necessary steps to ensure withdrawal of the accumulated superannuation contributions made in conjunction with your assignment in Australia and return this amount to the company. The company reserves the right to determine the outstanding benefit owing and will recoup this benefit from you after your departure.

what you make of that?
I make it that they are trying to override employment law. As no lawyer has pooped up yet on here I would suggest ypu either go and see one or Fairwork Australia.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

That would be "posted" not pooped. It happens when you try to post from mobile in a moving taxi!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

When did you put in notice? We have a number of people at my bank putting notice, or considering notice, based on the LAFHA changes - better options in other parts of Asia. I understand from a few people here that the firm does not intend to try to enforce clawback clauses etc because one could argue they retroactively changed terms on you. You might note to your employer (if you get LAFHA also) that you are also leaving for that reason, and that given you a) know that what they are doing will not legally hold up and b) are losing real take home via the LAHFA changes your contract terms were changed and thus no longer can be enforced. In the UK this would only be legal if it was for all staff - for example at my old firm they could take back pension contributions made I think in the first year of employment if you left, but that was a clawback in place for ALL staff / new hires. I think the intent of the Super is to make everyone save for retirement - and often it is listed as 'part of your package' so they are essentially trying to pull back salary here.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:02 am
Just Joined

D J Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Now even more worried,
I have now been told that Previously, if you were leaving Australia there was an opportunity to withdraw your super on exiting. That benefit was closed a few years ago.????
So if I cant even claim it on departure,, and the company wants it back? that leaves me in a midden
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now even more worried,
I have now been told that Previously, if you were leaving Australia there was an opportunity to withdraw your super on exiting. That benefit was closed a few years ago.????
So if I cant even claim it on departure,, and the company wants it back? that leaves me in a midden
No it wasn't closed, you were on a temporary visa so you can withdraw your super. In any case, if you couldn't why would it leave you in a fix, you would just tell them you can't get it. Seriously grow some and tell them to bugger off.

Have you been to fairwork australia yet?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately, Fair Work Australia does not provide information on entitlements like superannuation.

was told to talk to JobWatch?

anyway have been talking to a Accountant,

I'm not as stupid to tell them to go F#$% themselves, as I have worked for them all over the world for 8 years and plan to for the next few too.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:20 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

OP, you need some reliable advice from someone with genuine experience in labour law and/or super law. If it's worth 10% of two years' income, it might just be worth spending the money on paying an experienced labour lawyer, no? Have you been a member of a union? Have you spoken to a Community Legal Centre? What state are you in?

The ATO information on DASP is here: http://www.ato.gov.au/superfunds/con...t/00276719.htm

To my inexperienced mind, it sounds very fishy...
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit in 10 years on here I haven't heard anyone else asking about having to pay their super back. Many temp residents who intend to return to Aus even leave their super funds running to add to later; other still have the ability to claim it back on departure - that has not changed.
All sounds very suspect and I'd be finding someone with super and tax law skills fast.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Note that you pay 35% tax on the super pot when you withdraw it.

I believe the money is yours, however if you want to continue working for them you'll be arguing over 6.5% of your annual salary.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 12:20 am
Just Joined

I'm still working in Australia but due to finish soon, it is even more of a mess now. My number one question is - Do Employers by law have to pay Super to an employee while employee is working on a 457??
Old Apr 15th 2013, 12:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still working in Australia but due to finish soon, it is even more of a mess now. My number one question is - Do Employers by law have to pay Super to an employee while employee is working on a 457??
Yes. A portion of your salary can be super though but that will be stated in your contract.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:04 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ozmigr8.com/Super_How_Can_We_Help.php

Might be of help.

Best regards.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:32 am
Just Joined

OK but is it legal for them not to pay super and state any super paid will be paid back to them when I leave?
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

OK but is it legal for them not to pay super and state any super paid will be paid back to them when I leave?
I would say not but I'm no legal/HR expert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.