Dentists

Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all
Default Dentists

Hi could anyone tell me what the score is with dentistry system in Australia, is it private, many thanks Suzy
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists

Yes basically. You have to pay for all dental treatment even for children. However xrays and stuff like that can be paid by Medicare which is the Aussie version of the NHS but it's nothing like it really

You don't need private health cover though. If you do have cover, you have to make sure you get dental cover included because it may not be. You won't get everything covered though, you may get a couple of check up/cleans free each year and then certain treatments up to a fixed amount per year.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Oh ok thanks for that so its just like here really.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyt
Oh ok thanks for that so its just like here really.
Yes although in the UK kids are free and the amounts paid for private are slightly less. However in my opinion the quality of work is superior here to any work I saw done there. Others may (and will) disagree
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Of course you cant please everyone. Still its good to know where you stand with all this , i have just had a thought my husbands new company is paying all of our medical insurance, i might see if i can find out if this is included or if it could be added it may be a non starter but you never know.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Make sure you have a full check up and get anything done before coming here!

Australian dentists amazingly find things you didn't know you had - like needing a ton of fillings done.

I had an NHS dentist back in the UK so was very lucky. However, a root canal waited until I got to Oz to flare up. I came out of the surgery with a $3k quote which also included 4 fillings. I cried..... we had just set up our own business and had better things to spend money on. Because we can't afford private health cover I joined a dental plan which did give me 20% off the fees.

Anyway, in the end I had the treatment here but had the crown done in Singapore. Thanks to a recommendation by Seasider, I had the fitting done on the way to the UK and had it fitted on the way back. He's a really nice guy and you don't feel you are being ripped off unlike here. My NHS dentist was happy to do work for me still but I phoned up too late for an appointment!

A lot of people in Oz go to Bangkok to have work done and combine it with a holiday, it really is that expensive here.

In fact because I have to go back to the UK once a year if I can't get to see my UK dentist I'm going to have a check-up in Singapore. The fees were so much lower -it's worth it.

However, if you are getting your medical insurance paid then make sure you get one with good dental cover.

Oh and be careful if kids are half way through brace treatment, I've heard that some won't carry on with whats been done in the UK and you have to start all over again.

Kim
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Medicare do a Teen Dental Plan if you receive Family Tax Benefit they will send you out a yearly voucher entitling for $150 entitling your child to have a free check up at any private dentist.

If you have a Health Care Card (usually issued if you are on full FTB) you can get dental services at a reduced fee but the waiting list is huge, however if it is an emergency you can just turn up at the health clinic and wait, if they can't see you within a set time they will issue you with a free voucher to go and visit a private dentist. Here is some further information: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/dentist...publicfees.htm

If you don't have a Health Care Card I would definately recommend private insurance, but remember they won't pay it all.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We have HBA private medical insurance and the reason I chose it was because they offer free dental for kids (as long as you use one of their approved dentists). Am just about to use it!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
We have HBA private medical insurance and the reason I chose it was because they offer free dental for kids (as long as you use one of their approved dentists). Am just about to use it!
Queensland and Western Australia (not sure about other state's, assume it's the same) have free dental clinics for school age children.