Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dentist - Ouch!!

Wikiposts

Dentist - Ouch!!

Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:17 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dentist - Ouch!!

Well, the pain in my tooth, jaw and ear reached a level which I could no longer stand or control with pain killers. Not having had a good night's sleep I telephoned Fisher & Tan in Cleveland who saw me at 11.45.

They took an X-ray and agreed that, on balance, it was probably better to extract the tooth - and cheaper than the alternative and less-certain-of-success options.

Don't read on if a visit to the dentist makes you queasy. :scared:

First the numbing injection; beautifully carried out with 'just a small prick!' (The old ones are the best - but with someone's hand in your mouth it is difficult to make the necessary ripost)

Ten minutes later with the correct bits of my face impervious to pain Dr Kathlyn Tran BDS(Sydney) (Kath to me) clamped the tooth with some high-tech monkey wrench only to find that after a few minutes of twisting and rocking the tooth it unobligingly snapped off at the point where crown meets root!! I was beginning to sweat and feel a little light-headed and this sensation increased as other weapons were brought into play to gouge out whatever was around the root so that a good grip on the remains could be obtained.

Her words of kindness and encouragement to think of our plans for the next few weeks in Australia, and reminders to breath and relax didn't have the required effect; I began to wonder if I would actually be around tomorrow and have no idea when the stress relieving rubber ball fell from my grip, but I do remember the oxygen tube being placed over my nose, with the words 'Have a little rest now'.

After a while the battle recommenced and both roots being reluctant to loosen their grip on my jaw-bone decided to break giving anither headache to Kath who calmy carried on until all but a small embedded bit of root was left in my jaw. With the oxygen still in place and sweat running down my back, she showed me the fragments which she had triumphantly removed and replaced with a wad of lint to staunch the blood flow.

During my rest periods in the chair I was watched and entertained by another member of staff who fresh from school chatted about the temporary job she had in 'Big W's' and her wish to become a teacher - maybe a ballroom dancing teacher as she was very keen on that! She had recently been to Norway with her sister and brother-in-law and I know no more as Kath returned ready to cut and gouge.

At the end I was given a prescription for anti-biotics, prescription only pain killers 'drink plenty of water as they cause constipation' and a bill for A$272 which included the $35 for Oxygen. The drugs cost another A$28 but it was $300 well spent, and Kath and her team were brilliant. On the way out I looked at the clock - it was 1.15pm.

That evening at 5.40 we were just leaving to show visitors around Brisbane when the phone rang. It was Kath's assistant who was checking to see if I was ok and reminding me to contact them if I had any problems with the tooth - or lack of it.

One day later I feel great - apart from the constipation and a bruised feeling around my jaw - and would recommend the practice to anyone. Yes I know it's not cheap, but they were so professional and caring that I know I won't have the usual anxiety next time I go to the dentist.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:04 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentist - Ouch!!

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
Well, the pain in my tooth, jaw and ear reached a level which I could no longer stand or control with pain killers. Not having had a good night's sleep I telephoned Fisher & Tan in Cleveland who saw me at 11.45.

They took an X-ray and agreed that, on balance, it was probably better to extract the tooth - and cheaper than the alternative and less-certain-of-success options.

First the numbing injection; beautifully carried out with 'just a small prick!' (The old ones are the best - but with someone's hand in your mouth it is difficult to make the necessary ripost)

Ten minutes later with the correct bits of my face impervious to pain Dr Kathlyn Tran BDS(Sydney) (Kath to me) clamped the tooth with some high-tech monkey wrench only to find that after a few minutes of twisting and rocking the tooth it unobligingly snapped off at the point where crown meets root!! I was beginning to sweat and feel a little light-headed and this sensation increased as other weapons were brought into play to gouge out whatever was around the root so that a good grip on the remains could be obtained.

Her words of kindness and encouragement to think of our plans for the next few weeks in Australia, and reminders to breath and relax didn't have the required effect; I began to wonder if I would actually be around tomorrow and have no idea when the stress relieving rubber ball fell from my grip, but I do remember the oxygen tube being placed over my nose, with the words 'Have a little rest now'.

After a while the battle recommenced and both roots being reluctant to loosen their grip on my jaw-bone decided to break giving anither headache to Kath who calmy carried on until all but a small embedded bit of root was left in my jaw. With the oxygen still in place and sweat running down my back, she showed me the fragments which she had triumphantly removed and replaced with a wad of lint to staunch the blood flow.

During my rest periods in the chair I was watched and entertained by another member of staff who fresh from school chatted about the temporary job she had in 'Big W's' and her wish to become a teacher - maybe a ballroom dancing teacher as she was very keen on that! She had recently been to Norway with her sister and brother-in-law and I know no more as Kath returned ready to cut and gouge.

At the end I was given a prescription for anti-biotics, prescription only pain killers 'drink plenty of water as they cause constipation' and a bill for A$272 which included the $35 for Oxygen. The drugs cost another A$28 but it was $300 well spent, and Kath and her team were brilliant. On the way out I looked at the clock - it was 1.15pm.

That evening at 5.40 we were just leaving to show visitors around Brisbane when the phone rang. It was Kath's assistant who was checking to see if I was ok and reminding me to contact them if I had any problems with the tooth - or lack of it.

One day later I feel great - apart from the constipation and a bruised feeling around my jaw - and would recommend the practice to anyone. Yes I know it's not cheap, but they were so professional and caring that I know I won't have the usual anxiety next time I go to the dentist.
Thanx for that :scared: :scared:

Just about to have my tea.!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Dentist - Ouch!!

At least it's all sorted now.

I paid $130 to get my tooth ripped out. Apparently all four of my wisdom teeth need to go. Uh Uh - only one hurts the others can wait.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

OUCH!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:17 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

I am with you on this....been today to have a tooth removed......the dentist was bloody great with me.

As soon as i sat in the chair i started to cry because i was so frigtened. But it was too bad and it didnt hurt.....just uncomfortable. Afterwards he sat me up and he even wiped my eyes which were running with mascara.

Hope you feeling better soon ....k sent
Dx
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:57 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DIMO8
I am with you on this....been today to have a tooth removed......the dentist was bloody great with me.

As soon as i sat in the chair i started to cry because i was so frigtened. But it was too bad and it didnt hurt.....just uncomfortable. Afterwards he sat me up and he even wiped my eyes which were running with mascara.

Hope you feeling better soon ....k sent
Dx
Donna - you're much too young to have a tooth out (I presume your avatar is you!!) unless one of the kids knocked it or you play dangerous sports (such as eating lots of sweets!)

Forgot to mention the 3 stitches in my gums earlier - one just came out this morning!! Thanks for the Karma; Someone else sent me some but didn't put their name to it - thanks whoever you are.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:04 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Donna - you're much too young to have a tooth out (I presume your avatar is you!!) unless one of the kids knocked it or you play dangerous sports (such as eating lots of sweets!)

Forgot to mention the 3 stitches in my gums earlier - one just came out this morning!! Thanks for the Karma; Someone else sent me some but didn't put their name to it - thanks whoever you are.

OMG...i wish it were me in the Avatar....its Madonna. My name and i am mad ......fitting i thought. Funny people have thought that before it was me

I had an abscess.....which after many attempts at a root canal would not go....when he removed the tooth ( his words ) " a bloody woppa " ....the tooth had a large jellified pea abscess thing attached to it ...it was yuk, but in a way i am glad that there was something wrong with the tooth ...otherwise i would have been pissed off that he removed it......Since he took it out yerterday the lump i had in my gum has gone and i do feel better, i have been ill for several weeks with different infections and i am sure the abscess had a lot to do with it all.

How are you today?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:26 am
Keeping Busy

Originally Posted by DIMO8
OMG...i wish it were me in the Avatar....its Madonna. My name and i am mad ......fitting i thought. Funny people have thought that before it was me

I had an abscess.....which after many attempts at a root canal would not go....when he removed the tooth ( his words ) " a bloody woppa " ....the tooth had a large jellified pea abscess thing attached to it ...it was yuk, but in a way i am glad that there was something wrong with the tooth ...otherwise i would have been pissed off that he removed it......Since he took it out yerterday the lump i had in my gum has gone and i do feel better, i have been ill for several weeks with different infections and i am sure the abscess had a lot to do with it all.

How are you today?
Yep -doing good thanks. Nikki had abscesses a few years ago and boy did she suffer!! So you have my sympathy there.

A$300 - well worth it to get rid of pain which stops you sleeping eh?

Hopefully you're being well looked after by the family - you know hot toddies when you want, dinner cooked for you, deep heat baths run for you

Take care -when do you expect to go to Perth?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

wallabywannabies will become famous soon enoughwallabywannabies will become famous soon enough

Hi do you know how much it is for a check up at the dentist

Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:35 am
Keeping Busy

Sorry no.

My guess would be that it's in the region of $50. I can tell you that an x-ray at this practice was $32. Someone else may know from first hand experience what a checkup costs - ABCDiamond has lots of info at his fingertips...

Last edited by arnie2oz; Apr 8th 2005 at 10:56 am.