Dentist

Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

gillianskeoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dentist

Has anyone went to Thailand for dental work ? . I need some major work done ie ...( dental implants ) and have found it to be far to expensive in Oz . Would love to hear of anyone's experience with Dental tourism .

Thanks
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:39 am
Just Joined

singinintherain is a jewel in the roughsinginintherain is a jewel in the roughsinginintherain is a jewel in the roughsinginintherain is a jewel in the roughsinginintherain is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dentist

I would be very careful - you get what you pay for and when it comes to your health you don't want to take any risks. Dental implants are very very invasive and take a number of repeat visits - successful ones are reliant on expert knowledge and experience. Why is it cheaper in Thailand, I would ask myself? You will have to go a number of times so would that really make it cheaper - have you built in the cost of accommodation and repeat flights? I think I had at least 3 visits for each of my implants - and those visits are months apart. If they try and do it all in one visit then its not being done properly.

As you probably know, its not the same has having a filling. If implants arent done properly it can involve all sorts of things like having to remove bone from other parts of your body and transferring to your jaw. I'm not a medic but I do know that you want to make sure that you go somewhere that you trust.

I sound like a doom merchant but just would not want to see someone end up in trouble. Good luck.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singinintherain
I would be very careful - you get what you pay for and when it comes to your health you don't want to take any risks. Dental implants are very very invasive and take a number of repeat visits - successful ones are reliant on expert knowledge and experience. Why is it cheaper in Thailand, I would ask myself? You will have to go a number of times so would that really make it cheaper - have you built in the cost of accommodation and repeat flights? I think I had at least 3 visits for each of my implants - and those visits are months apart. If they try and do it all in one visit then its not being done properly.

As you probably know, its not the same has having a filling. If implants arent done properly it can involve all sorts of things like having to remove bone from other parts of your body and transferring to your jaw. I'm not a medic but I do know that you want to make sure that you go somewhere that you trust.

I sound like a doom merchant but just would not want to see someone end up in trouble. Good luck.
No your not a doom merchant I am a dental technician & you give very sound & acurate advise.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's along the same lines as the plastic surgery tourism to Thailand. While it may be cheap you get what you pay for. Going to a foreign country with somewhat dubious hygeine standards for an invasive procedure IMO isn't the most wise decision you'll make this year.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I have been quoted $7120 for 3 crowns in OZ, that includes all the prep work etc. I dont think I would be game to go to thailand, however my bro in UK sees a private dentist and is being charged 450GBP for crowns.

Singapore dental work is also very reasonable compared to OZ and the standards very high. I have also looked into this.

It depends on your travel plans, for me as the UK is the place I go to most getting fitted in with a UK private dentist is probably going to be my solution and a fraction of the oz cost.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

On the NHS it will cost you £198, regardless of how many! This applies to England and Wales only.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone !. I have thought about going back to the UK but its not ideal as i would have to spend most of my time catching up with friends and family !. I don't think its much cheaper for implants there anyway . Am thinking i may have the implants done in Oz and then go abroad for veneers ?????. Decisions , decisions . Arrrrrrrrragh ! . xxx
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laguna33p
On the NHS it will cost you £198, regardless of how many! This applies to England and Wales only.
Would you wear nhs glasses full time ???? Your teeth appearance are far more important than glasses & with teeth you dont take them off.You pay for Quality & with teeth you dont mess around.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gillianskeoch
Has anyone went to Thailand for dental work ? . I need some major work done ie ...( dental implants ) and have found it to be far to expensive in Oz . Would love to hear of anyone's experience with Dental tourism .

Thanks
Wonder if anyone has had thier teeth done in ANY other country and what the cost is?

I would love my teeth sorted, but the expense here is just too much for me.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I recently had 2 dental implants and agree that it is a complex process. I'm sure the dental standards in Thailand are very high but I doubt that implants could be done properly in one visit
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laguna33p
They do dental implants on the NHS?
That's news to me
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by jad n rich
It depends on your travel plans, for me as the UK is the place I go to most getting fitted in with a UK private dentist is probably going to be my solution and a fraction of the oz cost.
I really doubt that a UK private dentist would be radically cheaper for dental implants compared to Australia
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I recently had 2 dental implants and agree that it is a complex process. I'm sure the dental standards in Thailand are very high but I doubt that implants could be done properly in one visit
No , the dentists i have contacted in Thailand have told me i would probably need 2 visits . It is still much cheaper . I have been doing research into dental tourism and have found many good reports on Thailand . I would not want to walk around with NHS glasses on everyday and i know how important your teeth are but $40, 000 + is more money than i have to spend on my teeth . I also would not assume that all dentists in thailand are not well qualified however i would also not jump feet first with something so important and it is good to hear other peoples opinions .
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Can i ask those of you who have had implants how they found the process and if they have been happy with the result ?.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by gillianskeoch
Can i ask those of you who have had implants how they found the process and if they have been happy with the result ?.
I'm very happy with the result. It was a long process for me as I had to have a bone graft in my jaw - which was f**king sore. They look completely normal and there is zero discomfort. They are an expensive option but HBF covered about a quarter of the cost and even Medicare chipped in for part of the bone graft costs

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 27th 2011 at 2:53 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.