Dental prices

Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Born2tri will become famous soon enoughBorn2tri will become famous soon enough
Question Dental prices

Hi just new to this and hope someone might be able to help, hoping to move to Brisbane May/June and needing some dental work done, would it be better for me to have it done here before or wait until hopefully get there, as told different things about it being cheaper here and not sure what to do, any help greatly appriciated.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:32 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dental prices

Originally Posted by Born2tri
Hi just new to this and hope someone might be able to help, hoping to move to Brisbane May/June and needing some dental work done, would it be better for me to have it done here before or wait until hopefully get there, as told different things about it being cheaper here and not sure what to do, any help greatly appriciated.
Hello

If you have a NHS dentist - do it NOW - it "should" be cheaper.

If you go private - you will have to investigate further. It may depend on what aspects of PMI you are prepared to pay for in Australia - its a real minefield. Suggest you search through some of the PMI sites for advice/pricing etc and then make an informed decision against the known costs in UK.

Good luck!

Jim
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Definitely do it now. A filling in Brisbane cost me £150. We're going back over to Brissy soon, and I even got my dentist in the uk to do some xrays to take over with me, so I don't have to pay for them in Aus!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Hi
Definitely do it now. A filling in Brisbane cost me £150. We're going back over to Brissy soon, and I even got my dentist in the uk to do some xrays to take over with me, so I don't have to pay for them in Aus!
Do it before you arrive, no question about it! Speak to Cresta57 on the subject......
Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:35 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

A little insight here.....http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=253305

Hey, welcome to the forum by the way
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Born2tri will become famous soon enoughBorn2tri will become famous soon enough

just wanted to say thanks for yr replies will look into having it done before. Also a big thanks for this forum so addictive!! helps when feel so helpless and frustrated with visa application, as ours pre july
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:09 pm
Our new home

seanjenkinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we leave for perth on the 15th april and i have got to have lets see.
9 dental visits before i go wich includes a root canal how happy am i not had the move to oz to lookfoward to now i have all this well never mind beter to do it now i would say
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:58 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Hi
Bloody ell £150 I have just had a filling done this afternoon (still numb trying to drink a cup o tea nightmare) it cost me £47 which I thought was expensive I've had to go private cos I cant get on NHS list.

Kay
Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:24 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Deb had a filling recently, I'm still in shock Dentist only filled the tooth with a temporary dressing as he thought it needed a root canal treatment.
Cost for the temporary filling was $315 including the two x-rays at $35 bucks each. The root canal is going to be a snip under $3k yes THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS :scared: ffs new tyres on his Maserati don't come cheap do they
I had a root canal done in the U.K and it cost me less than £500. Dentistry in Australia is only for the more affluent high income earners. Your average $450 a week take home paid Aussie cannot afford it. There are plans you can take out and there are also dentists that will let you pay on the never never for expensive treatment like a brace for your child at 10k. Families here have savings plans for kids braces instead of college funds
There's been a few threads recently on Dentistry do a search. From my own experience it is way more expensive here. For example if you needed a tooth pulling in the U.K a phone call to the emergency dentist will get you in within 24hrs and the cost of the extraction is £10 quid. For Deb to have the tooth pulled is over $500 for one extraction.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:46 pm
Merlot

I almost got ripped off by a NSW Central Coast dentist.

She put on what she called a "Temporary Crown" for $263.00. Bear in mind she never asked permission to do this, just went ahead and there is not a lot you can do in the chair with your mouth full of stuff.

She went on to say it would last about a month and I needed to come back for a "Permanent Crown" - just under $1,000. This was nearly two years ago.

When I registered with the NHS Dentist here in May 2004, he said that this temporary crown was perfect and should last many years, there is no need to re-crown.

Buyer beware me thinks! BTW this does happen in other countries, the rip off bit.

Tis a dear do in Australia.

M

Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone know any web site address for info on dental plans in oz

Tabby
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Dental prices

$500 for a check up,filling and scrape and polish and he threw in a lecture for free about cleaning my teeth properly

arlene
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:57 pm
ABCDiamond

We had a quote from a Central Brisbane dental practice for my daughter:
Visit One
Sedation $62
Tooth Removal $94
Diagnostic Model $44
Paediatric Crown $154
Pulpotomy-nerve Cap $82

Visit Two
Space maintainer fixed $278

Visit Three
Sedation $62
Paediatric Crown $154
Pulpotomy-nerve Cap $82

Total $1,012 basically for two Crowns and a space maintainer.

The cost for that consultation/quote was $128

We had a second opinion done at a local Paediatric dentist and the cost was $35 without the Xray. !!

Individual X-rays done at the dentists cost us $35 each.
But the full face ones, are done at the local X-Ray place and are bulk billed, so no cost to us. Not sure if everywhere gets that though.

6 month check ups cost $30. Cleaning costs $70 !! (doing it myself now )

One filling and one tooth removal cost $110. (2 weeks ago on 8 year old child)
One tooth removal in Sydney $100 (4 years ago on 4 year old child)
Something tells me prices vary

I had two root canals done in about 1990 for about $2,000 in Sydney.

Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:22 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We had a quote from a Central Brisbane dental practice for my daughter:
Visit One
Sedation $62
Tooth Removal $94
Diagnostic Model $44
Paediatric Crown $154
Pulpotomy-nerve Cap $82

Visit Two
Space maintainer fixed $278

Visit Three
Sedation $62
Paediatric Crown $154
Pulpotomy-nerve Cap $82

Total $1,012 basically for two Crowns and a space maintainer.

The cost for that consultation/quote was $128

We had a second opinion done at a local Paediatric dentist and the cost was $35 without the Xray. !!

Individual X-rays done at the dentists cost us $35 each.
But the full face ones, are done at the local X-Ray place and are bulk billed, so no cost to us. Not sure if everywhere gets that though.

6 month check ups cost $30. Cleaning costs $70 !! (doing it myself now )

One filling and one tooth removal cost $110. (2 weeks ago on 8 year old child)
One tooth removal in Sydney $100 (4 years ago on 4 year old child)
Something tells me prices vary

I had two root canals done in about 1990 for about $2,000 in Sydney.
That does make it worth shopping around.

Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
That does make it worth shopping around.

Merlot
That's true but you should also find a good Private Health Fund that covers dental. I have never paid more than $14 per visit no matter what I've had done. Normally it's around $5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.