Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dengue fever outbreak - north Queensland

Dengue fever outbreak - north Queensland

Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dengue fever outbreak - north Queensland

Dengue is a viral disease transmitted by specific mosquitoes and found in most tropical areas of the world including north Queensland.
The disease can cause a range of symptoms some of which can be severe and patients should seek medical attention for treatment. Infection with the dengue virus may be subclinical (no apparent symptoms) or may cause illness ranging from a mild fever to a severe, even fatal condition.
There are a number of ways to protect yourself from dengue. Primarily you should avoid being bitten by dengue mosquitoes and get rid of dengue mosquito breeding sites around your house, yard or business premises.

There is currently a dengue fever outbreak in both Cairns and Townsville, with Qld Health reporting 165 confirmed cases so far.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...9-3102,00.html

The Queensland Health link HERE has more info.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dengue fever outbreak - north Queensland

BLIMEY !!

How often does this happen Polly ?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
BLIMEY !!

How often does this happen Polly ?
Last major outbreak in Qld was 2004, when there was about 80 cases.

Similar kind of thing to Ross River virus, but to quote from Qld Health -
Both viruses may cause rash, joint pain and fever, and both viruses are spread by mosquitoes (but not the same species - Dengue transmitted by a domestic mosquito, Ross River is spread from animals to humans by a number of different species of mosquito that breed in different environments including natural and domestic settings.
Dengue can be fatal. Ross River is not fatal.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:03 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Dengue fever - nasty shit, with almost no treatment plan. I hope there have been no fatalities so far.

Still no vaccine available ?

Last edited by bigAPE; Jan 20th 2009 at 12:05 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Lady I met before xmas was the worse case so far.

She went into a coma.
Had to be strapped down as she fitted.
Priest gave her the last rights as they thought she was a gonner.
Glad to say she is now slowly recovering at home.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:28 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Dengue is evil - The Geek and I ended up in hospital with it in Singapore. It's transmitted by the Aedes Mosquito there, which is out in daylight.

My first symptom was a really bad headache I couldn't shake off; we both had a very erratic fever and The Geek's topped out at 41. It's like the worst flu you could imagine.

The Geek almost had to have a blood transfusion, his blood count was so low; we weren't even allowed to clean our teeth for days as we couldn't risk bleeding gums. We made a right pair in a twin room, hooked up to IVs.

My blood count wasn't as low as his but I was very weak and I (and my liver) took a lot longer to recover due to autoimmune disease. We both lost a fair bit of weight, had nasty rashes (his feet were purple), even my hands and feet peeled, and I lost a lot of hair in the coming months.

Generally only fatal if you are very young, elderly or infirm, but can take a year to get over.

I read tonight that there is a big increase in cases in Malaysia too. In Singapore you have to report it to the authorities.

No vaccine.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Dengue doesn't only happen in Aus.....I live on Aruba and we currently are experiencing an outbreak here too. With a little common sense and some education (especially the kids), you can do alot to avoid getting ill.....

Nix
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

ye, cairns looks lovely, but I think I'll wait till technology catches up before living in paradise
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Dengue is a viral disease transmitted by specific mosquitoes and found in most tropical areas of the world including north Queensland.
The disease can cause a range of symptoms some of which can be severe and patients should seek medical attention for treatment. Infection with the dengue virus may be subclinical (no apparent symptoms) or may cause illness ranging from a mild fever to a severe, even fatal condition.
There are a number of ways to protect yourself from dengue. Primarily you should avoid being bitten by dengue mosquitoes and get rid of dengue mosquito breeding sites around your house, yard or business premises.

There is currently a dengue fever outbreak in both Cairns and Townsville, with Qld Health reporting 165 confirmed cases so far.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...9-3102,00.html

The Queensland Health link HERE has more info.

About time someone posted this, at least if people know they can protect themself, minimise risk.

We were supposed to go up there early january, rich wasnt that keen and we cancelled that part of our trip - reason, his brother in law had mosquito borne illness years ago, and he still has immune and fatique problems now. He puts it down to the mosquito illness, thats when it started. I dont know, but hes been sick as long as I have known him and Doctors have no other reason for it
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

AAARGH! My sister and my dad are coming to visit in Feb and are planning 5 days in Cairns on the Great Barrier reef- she goes diving and he snorkels or sits in the boat. Knowing her luck she'll get it, though not whilst underwater or in the wetsuit.
How can they protect themselves? He is 75 and has heart condition. Read the links btw. so will panic a bit less now.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jan 20th 2009 at 7:37 pm. Reason: extra info
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
AAARGH! My sister and my dad are coming to visit in Feb and are planning 5 days in Cairns on the Great Barrier reef- she goes diving and he snorkels or sits in the boat. Knowing her luck she'll get it, though not whilst underwater or in the wetsuit.
How can they protect themselves? He is 75 and has heart condition. Read the links btw. so will panic a bit less now.

Sprays, mosquito repellant, tropical strenght, chemists up there would recommend what is best currently.

Clothing to protect, cover up, light colours.

Stay out of bushland areas, creeks etc where mozzies would obviously hang out.

Flyscreens etc, when inside, sleeping, use them! not much use if they are open.

Go to melbourne instead - just kidding but thats what we did

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 20th 2009 at 7:51 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:10 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the only way is not to get bitten. Take precautions as above, and also don't give the mosquitos any place to breed. In Singapore we got regular checks by the authorities to ensure we didn't have any standing water, e.g., in saucers under plants, and were keeping gutters clear.

We were in a high risk part of Singapore (lots of hookers and construction workers living in dorms, washing hanging out of windows...) and we got rid of all the plants from our courtyard but of course couldn't influence our neighbours. All the big storm drains running down the streets don't help.

The weird (if slightly amusing, in hindsight) thing in our cases was we were told that, because The Geek was a couple of days ahead of me and was travelling, it's highly likely that he got bitten by an infected mozzie, came home, got bitten by and INFECTED another mozzie, which then bit and infected me.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

These are day biting species so try and lay off with the perfume and aftershave during the day. And simple precautions as has already been mentioned.

John
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone- I'll go and worry my sister now!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Nothing like a good scare first thing in the morning

Speaking of Mosquitos...I feel like im hijacking the thread but its still on the topic of our much loved 'mozzie'.

In the last few days I have been eaten alive by our resident mosquito, which is proving to be quite the itch, literally!

Can anyone recommend anything to help ward them off that works well?

It appears they are chewing on me in my sleep as Its my extremities that are exposed whilst sleeping that have been bitten.

(My pinky finger, my left forearm, my ankle oh my ear as I discovered this morning!)

I generate alot of bodyheat (and in this summer heat-perspiration also) especially when I sleep so I can understand why they love me so much!

However, can't help feel slightly irked as my partner with whom I share the same bed hasn't been touched. I guess they prefer the dining at Le Cafe du Jamie.... :-(

Don't worry I'm living down in SA so its doubtful it has reached here....yet. Don't wanna scare everyone more (for those who have yet to experience the land down under) so but being bitten by a mosquito is as common as the equally annoying fly trying to take a drink out of your eyeballs or lips whilst walking down the street. No point panicking unless you wanna walk around in a mozzie net all day and nite!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.