demerit points

Old May 19th 2010, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

nickbrissy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default demerit points

ive jsut been stung with 4 points and a fine in qld. im a temporary resident waiting for my permanent to be approved. ihave a uk and ozzie license, but my ozzie license isnt registed to where i live.

my question is can i put the points on my uk license? and would they find out that i have a ozzie one?
thanks in advance
Old May 19th 2010, 9:28 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: demerit points

Was your UK licence used to switch over to an Australian one ?

There is a chance that the numbers are still linked. Therefore you could be in trouble if they find out.

Old May 19th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Was your UK licence used to switch over to an Australian one ?

There is a chance that the numbers are still linked. Therefore you could be in trouble if they find out.
hi yea it was used when i got my oz license, only got it as i wanted to get a loan. if they question it couldnt i say i lost it.
Old May 19th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I have asked QLD Transport specifically about using my Irish licence while in possession of an Aussie licence. I was instructed that I must use the Australian one.
Old May 19th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I have asked QLD Transport specifically about using my Irish licence while in possession of an Aussie licence. I was instructed that I must use the Australian one.
ok thanks mate.
Old May 19th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

BTW, my circumstances were different in that I was actually suspended for three months so not necessarily relevant. But, the guy told me I would be charged with unlicensed driving if I did not heed the advice.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:06 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I racked up 6 points when I had my UK licence (many years ago).
Then when I got my Qld licence I picked up 6 more (yeah yeah silly - it took me a while to learn about Australian snail-paced speed limits)..

That added up to 12 and I took the 3 month ban.

It doesnt matter which licence you have - Qld transport will record the points against the driver record....

sorry to bear the bad news!
Old May 19th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Then when I got my Qld licence I picked up 6 more (yeah yeah silly - it took me a while to learn about Australian snail-paced speed limits)..

It doesnt matter which licence you have - Qld transport will record the points against the driver record....

surely though teh fact that i already have a oz license would mean though taht if i can get away with putting them on my uk one then they wouldnt get transferred onto my oz one.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nickbrissy
surely though teh fact that i already have a oz license would mean though taht if i can get away with putting them on my uk one then they wouldnt get transferred onto my oz one.
The story from the authorities is that it's a single driver file per state combining overseas and state licences, they claim country wide but I've never heard/seen any evidence.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nickbrissy
From what I recall, the act of getting an Australian licence invalidates your use of your overseas licence in this country. That was the reason for various states putting holes in the licences at one stage.

Therefore, if you use your UK licence, they can, in theory, also prosecute you for driving with an invalid licence.

Here in QLD we have a Department of Transport customer number, and both your licences will be linked to that number. So will the fine and demerit points.

Old May 19th 2010, 12:17 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DadAgain

Is that just in QLD or do other states do the same, I have accrued 9 points in AUs and have 3 points on my UK one, but I do not have an Aus license as I am a Temporary resident.
Old May 19th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From what I recall, the act of getting an Australian licence invalidates your use of your overseas licence in this country. That was the reason for various states putting holes in the licences at one stage.

Therefore, if you use your UK licence, they can, in theory, also prosecute you for driving with an invalid licence.

Here in QLD we have a Department of Transport customer number, and both your licences will be linked to that number. So will the fine and demerit points.
Sounds about right and if Im not wrong, people are expected to notify the rego-joint thingy of any change of address within two weeks so your license should be linked to your address.
Old May 19th 2010, 10:26 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Is that just in QLD or do other states do the same, I have accrued 9 points in AUs and have 3 points on my UK one, but I do not have an Aus license as I am a Temporary resident.
What your UK driving record is is irrelevant (assuming the 3 points you refer to were from an infringement in the UK). You have 9 points on your Australian driving record (whichever state you're in). That means 3 more and you're in pedestrian territory.
Old May 20th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
In South Australia if you're here for more than 3 mths you should swap to SA Licence, temporary or not.

I'd be very wary about trying to dodge the system - all us expats are here on the basis of good behaviour!
Old May 20th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jothefw
I'd be very wary about trying to dodge the system - all us expats are here on the basis of good behaviour!
Kind of ironic given that most of the 'natives'* are here on the basis of bad behaviour!

*in the gangs of New York sense of the word.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.