Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Defacto statements

Defacto statements

Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future
Default Defacto statements

Hi there.
We are just about to send off the visa application. We were wondering if you had to include a statement from friends regarding the defacto relationship question. We have been together seven years, although only got married in September. We've got two children four and two, mortgage statements from four years ago and various life insurance documents with both our names on from several years ago. We've both done in depth statements regarding when our relationship began and significant events over the years and various photos, children's births etc.The question is now do we need statements from friends regarding our relationship or do we have enough with what we've included already. Thanks Andy and Lindsey.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defacto statements

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi there.
We are just about to send off the visa application. We were wondering if you had to include a statement from friends regarding the defacto relationship question. We have been together seven years, although only got married in September. We've got two children four and two, mortgage statements from four years ago and various life insurance documents with both our names on from several years ago. We've both done in depth statements regarding when our relationship began and significant events over the years and various photos, children's births etc.The question is now do we need statements from friends regarding our relationship or do we have enough with what we've included already. Thanks Andy and Lindsey.
If you're married then you're not de facto! But I guess you're trying to show length of relationship - it couldn't hurt to stick in a couple of statements. Sounds like you'll be well covered though with everything that you have.
You could always send it off as it is and then send the statements as additions - could get the statements sorted whilst the main bulk of the application is already in the post/on the waiting list.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi there.
I am applying for a defacto visa as well and from what I remember without having the application in front of me is that it does request that you have at least one or two Statutory Declaration's in your application.
I have got statements from my OH's Mum and Sister and one from my Mum. I was going to ask my friends as well but then felt a bit tight asking them as they have to get someone to witness it and then pay for that privilege!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilso16
I am applying for a defacto visa as well and from what I remember without having the application in front of me is that it does request that you have at least one or two Statutory Declaration's in your application.
I have got statements from my OH's Mum and Sister and one from my Mum. I was going to ask my friends as well but then felt a bit tight asking them as they have to get someone to witness it and then pay for that privilege!

Are you applying for de facto visa from the UK? I seem to remember that in the truly-tiny-small print it says that statements are only legally binding if done in Australia and witnessed by someone off the official list.
We had ours done on the official form but in the UK, witnessed by Police Officer & Teacher (both mates so no charge!) and they were accepted. I should add however that we were not going for a straightforward DFS visa, so do read the small print yourself and see how it applies to you.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:47 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

For my OH's defacto visa application we had letters from family and friends in the UK (not certified) and also at least 2 stat decs (certified) from Aussie friends/family that knew us.

They didn't really need the UK stuff but they like a min of 2 Aussie Stat Decs.

Good Luck

Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Its not a defacto visa - its a 136 but as we have only been married since September then we have to provide evidence of a continuing realtionship. Both myself and Andy have written statements (do we have to have these certified?) and we also have life insurance certificates - we are benficiaries to each other if anything should happen, car insurance documents with both names on, mortgage certificates in joint names, house insurance documents oh and the other thing is two children (with both our name on their birth certificates!) Do we need to send statements from friends also and how should they be worded (how indepth) and how should we word our statements - does it need official language ie I Lindsey .............. do solemnly declare...... Please help sorry if we didn't make it clear originally.

Thanks

Lindsey
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bump - sorry, desperate to know
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Our statements were from an old friend of my OH's and a friend & colleague of mine. Both 'respectable' professionals. They wrote things like "I have known x since 1994 & y since 2001, during that time I have known them to have a happy & genuine relationship. They have jointly purchased a house in which they have lived together since 2002 and I know that they plan a future & a family together" - etc. I think they also used the phrase 'genuimne & enduring relationship' just to be on the safe side. Oh and my mum did one too. So we submitted three.
Both were witnessed but not by solicitors.
They went in with copies of our house papers, mortgage statements, bills in both our names, letters to each other, a few photos with different hair/climate etc.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by esperanza
Our statements were from an old friend of my OH's and a friend & colleague of mine. Both 'respectable' professionals. They wrote things like "I have known x since 1994 & y since 2001, during that time I have known them to have a happy & genuine relationship. They have jointly purchased a house in which they have lived together since 2002 and I know that they plan a future & a family together" - etc. I think they also used the phrase 'genuimne & enduring relationship' just to be on the safe side. Oh and my mum did one too. So we submitted three.
Both were witnessed but not by solicitors.
They went in with copies of our house papers, mortgage statements, bills in both our names, letters to each other, a few photos with different hair/climate etc.

Thankyou!