British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Deepening low off Queensland Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/deepening-low-off-queensland-coast-501688/)

Pollyana Dec 26th 2007 3:01 am

Deepening low off Queensland Coast

Take care on the beaches guys, the surf is rising, large waves expected end of the week, and there is a deepening low which may make things nastier still. More when I have it.....

Strong Wind/Gale Warning
Townsville to Double Island Point including Hervey Bay
SE winds at 25/30 knots between Townsville to Burnett Heads for today. For Thursday, SE winds 25/30 knots extending from Bowen to Double Island Point in the morning with 30/35 knot winds developing between St Lawrence to Sandy Cape during the evening. Seas to 2.5 to 3 metres in open waters rising to 3.5 metres within the Gale zone. A 2 metre SE swell rising to 3 metres later tomorrow.

AND

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ10700.txt

skye Dec 26th 2007 4:20 am

Re: Northern/Central Coast Queensland weather

You just cant get away from work can you Polly!!! :) See you in the new year possibly!

Pollyana Dec 26th 2007 6:21 am

Originally Posted by skye (Post 5704804)
You just cant get away from work can you Polly!!! :) See you in the new year possibly!

I'm on duty :(

Keep your eye on the Bureau of Met site, everyone all the way down the coast. Excerpt from the link above:

From late Thursday onwards the upper trough will amplify and induce a low at the surface off the central coast of Qld. This low will then move slowly southwards during the weekend while deepening and could potentially develop into a cyclone.
Until it deepens no-one can now what it will do/where it will go......watch this space, but watch the BOM as well in case I'm too busy........

Pollyana Dec 26th 2007 6:22 am

Originally Posted by skye (Post 5704804)

...but on a lighter note, yes, we'll get together again in the new year :)

moneypenny20 Dec 26th 2007 7:34 am

Was really messy down here today. Doing VMR and watching idiots trying to take their boats out was not funny. Thankfully all but one got so far, turned round and came back in. The one (hadn't logged in) who didn't wallowed about for half an hour and then beached it next to the groyne. Don't know or care when or if he got back inside the bar. He was a twit.:frown:

Pollyana Dec 26th 2007 7:47 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5705083)
Was really messy down here today. Doing VMR and watching idiots trying to take their boats out was not funny. Thankfully all but one got so far, turned round and came back in. The one (hadn't logged in) who didn't wallowed about for half an hour and then beached it next to the groyne. Don't know or care when or if he got back inside the bar. He was a twit.:frown:

Keep your eyes on the BOM site, it can only get worse towards the weekend and into next week - note the updated thread title :eek:

moneypenny20 Dec 26th 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5705102)
Keep your eyes on the BOM site, it can only get worse towards the weekend and into next week - note the updated thread title :eek:

Yeah, it confused me :blink: subscribed threads came up and I thought "oh didn't reply to that, why's that come up?":blink: Don't take much though :blink::blink:

skye Dec 26th 2007 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5704970)
...but on a lighter note, yes, we'll get together again in the new year :)

I am moving out of Kedron the first week of Jan so will catch up with you then!

Timber Floor Au Dec 26th 2007 8:34 am

Re: Deepening low off Queensland Coast

Their site says No tropical Cyclone warnings anywhere at the mo.

Unless im looking somewhere i shouldnt ;)

wanderingwombat Dec 26th 2007 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5705102)

Hmmm,
Must have the cheap BOM version as nothing is currently reporting:confused:

WW

wanderingwombat Dec 26th 2007 8:53 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5705083)

It always was the ones who didnt log on that caused the most grief. At this time of year it is always the ones with the shiney new Xmas present who have to go out no matter what the conditions.

The day usually ends with a hefty serving of hot tongue and cold shoulder with the OH swearing never to go out again...

WW

The A Team Dec 26th 2007 8:57 am

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat (Post 5705223)
Hmmm,
Must have the cheap BOM version as nothing is currently reporting:confused:

WW

Tropical Cyclone Three Day Outlook

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ10810.shtml

IvanM Dec 26th 2007 9:22 am

Surfs up. Time for that good groundswell from the north.

Pollyana Dec 26th 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5705198)
Their site says No tropical Cyclone warnings anywhere at the mo.

Unless im looking somewhere i shouldnt ;)

Not a cyclone (yet) but a deepening low off the Queensland coast......I'm on call for work so I get the advance warning that there is something not very nice brewing.

themerlin Dec 26th 2007 9:38 am

I'm no expert but this means:

1) Bananas will become more expensive then cocaine again.
2) Bugger all will hit the dams.

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5705291)
Not a cyclone (yet) but a deepening low off the Queensland coast......I'm on call for work so I get the advance warning that there is something not very nice brewing.