Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Deductions from wges packet ?

Deductions from wges packet ?

Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:24 am
Just Joined

TD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really nice
Default Deductions from wges packet ?

Could anybody let me know what is likely to be deducted from your monthly / weekly pay.
Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:31 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deductions from wges packet ?

Originally Posted by TD63
Could anybody let me know what is likely to be deducted from your monthly / weekly pay.
Thanks
I'd be interested to know this too as I'm due my first wage anyday now...
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:35 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

2 deductions:

Superannuation: 9% of your gross pay (paid into your fund)
Income Tax & Medicare Levy: Unless your payroll department are compeltely incometent they should get this about right.

Medicare Levy = 1.5% of gross
Income tax as follows:
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/12333.htm
Tax rates 2009-10

$1 – $6,000 - Nil
$6,001 – $35,000 - 15c for each $1 over $6,000
$35,001 – $80,000 - $4,350 plus 30c for each $1 over $35,000
$80,001 – $180,000 - $17,850 plus 38c for each $1 over $80,000
$180,001 and over - $55,850 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:37 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DadAgain
This isn't a deduction as the company should pay it.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TD63
Thanks
Money.

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:42 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

And if you're just doing casual work for a few weeks?
Originally Posted by DadAgain
2 deductions:

Income Tax & Medicare Levy: Unless your payroll department are compeltely incometent they should get this about right.

Medicare Levy = 1.5% of gross
Income tax as follows:
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/12333.htm
Tax rates 2009-10

$1 – $6,000 - Nil
$6,001 – $35,000 - 15c for each $1 over $6,000
$35,001 – $80,000 - $4,350 plus 30c for each $1 over $35,000
$80,001 – $180,000 - $17,850 plus 38c for each $1 over $80,000
$180,001 and over - $55,850 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:52 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Then I'm guessing they'll pay your tax as if you earnt the same pro-rata annually. If this is an overpayment (as seems almost certain in your case) - then you'll get a refund in your tax return that you can file from July 1st.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
This isn't a deduction as the company should pay it.
If there is a deduction for super on your pay advice, then get it checked.
The 9% super is, as coolshadows says, an employers expense, similar to the UK employers share of NI.

Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:31 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

As Dadagain says, you get taxed as if you'd earned that amount all year. You'll get it back again when you do your tax return.

(well, that's what happened to me when I was employed on a casual basis)

I don't know what the rules are regarding Super and Casual employees, if there's a pay level above which they have to pay it, or if they have to pay it no matter what (I received Super credits and was on a piddly amount so I suspect the latter), but you should check on that. They should tell you which fund it's being paid into. Even if it's only for a few weeks
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:06 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Dreamy
As Dadagain says, you get taxed as if you'd earned that amount all year. You'll get it back again when you do your tax return.

(well, that's what happened to me when I was employed on a casual basis)

I don't know what the rules are regarding Super and Casual employees, if there's a pay level above which they have to pay it, or if they have to pay it no matter what (I received Super credits and was on a piddly amount so I suspect the latter), but you should check on that. They should tell you which fund it's being paid into. Even if it's only for a few weeks
It's Queensland Education that I'm working for, as a Teacher Aide, til my Teacher Registration comes through, so maybe it'll all go into the same Super fund?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If there is a deduction for super on your pay advice, then get it checked.
The 9% super is, as coolshadows says, an employers expense, similar to the UK employers share of NI.
I'm using an accountant for my tax return. She'll have fun with my payslips from my 6 month contract last year, as not only did they not pay the super contribution, they took it off my gross salary. Their explanation was "that's how we do it here".
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:52 pm
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I'm using an accountant for my tax return. She'll have fun with my payslips from my 6 month contract last year, as not only did they not pay the super contribution, they took it off my gross salary. Their explanation was "that's how we do it here".
Super is required to be paid quarterly to the fund of your choice.

Whether super is added to or taken off your gross depends on the definition of gross in your contract.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:59 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HelenTD
sounds like they made your salary sound bigger than it actual was. I think it's legal what they did, but a little cheap.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
sounds like they made your salary sound bigger than it actual was. I think it's legal what they did, but a little cheap.
The other person who started the same day as me had a slightly different wording on her contract and they could get away with it. Also, she was a single mum who needed the job and she wasn't prepared to make a fuss, even though she has a longer contract and worked full-time, with more $ at stake. My contract was worded a little differently and I might have got somewhere with a complaint, but I would have needed a lawyer to do it as, like other non-union agreed employment contracts, it fell outside the state or federal dept that deals with this stuff. As my contract was only part-time for 6 months, and I wanted to get a reference, I decided the cost of a lawyer was counter-productive. Also, I don't think that Perth is a place that can keep things confidential, and if you've got some sort of unfair employment complaint against your name, mud sticks when it comes to finding another job.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

It's Queensland Education that I'm working for, as a Teacher Aide, til my Teacher Registration comes through, so maybe it'll all go into the same Super fund?
Most queensland govt employees use the state government super corporation called QSuper.

It has been quite respected over the years I think so should be a good one to be in. If you are later an employee of a private company you cannot pay into QSuper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.