Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decorative driftwood

Decorative driftwood

Old May 16th 2014, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decorative driftwood

I know that Australia is very strict on bringing in anything that could bring in disease etc, I have three pieces of decorative driftwood which I have had years. If scrubbed down with antibacterial disinfectant and then sealed and varnished with yacht varnish or something, do you think they would get confiscated and destroyed? Trying to decide if worth the aggravation!
Old May 17th 2014, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decorative driftwood

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
I know that Australia is very strict on bringing in anything that could bring in disease etc, I have three pieces of decorative driftwood which I have had years. If scrubbed down with antibacterial disinfectant and then sealed and varnished with yacht varnish or something, do you think they would get confiscated and destroyed? Trying to decide if worth the aggravation!
There is an email address at the bottom of the page.

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/t...ooden-articles

They don't take too long to respond.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

I have emailed them, thank you for the link.
Old May 18th 2014, 11:34 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The wooden items may be taken by Quarantine to be fumigated (at your expense) - after that you can take them home (usually within a week or two).

I have brought several wooden items through AQIS and declared all of them: only once did they take an item for fumigation and that was because it had holes in the bottom which they suspected could be wormholes - they were actually the marks where the item had been screwed onto a lathe faceplate, but try explaining that in an airport!

I wouldn't bother trying to disinfect your driftwood, as I doubt if they would accept your word that it had been done properly.