Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Declaring items at the airport.

Declaring items at the airport.

Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:04 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring items at the airport.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
i even declare my panadol.

I declared that I had once taken panadol.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Last time we came through we had muesli bars, jam, lollies, panadol etc and declared it all, waved through and away we went.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I always have a small mountain of food with me, crisps, sweets etc, I make a list, show it to the AQIS guys and mutter something about "ïts the usual pommy food stuff" - that usually gets a laugh now, and a wave through without the bags being X Rayed (this is Brisbane, relatively quiet, very early morning).
Last trip, I said, "the usual Canadian stuff..." to which he raised an eyebrow, and I replied, "You know, Frank's Hot Sauce and decent maple syrup."

Next trip back, hubby has put in a request to bring back that packaged Lipton noodle soup (Dorothy knows what I'm talking about). Get to declare that one too.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Take anything you want mate,they'll be too busy confiscating from the asian mob to bother with you
Last time back, our flight from Auckland arrived the same time as one from Bali. I recall they gave the Bali folks more than a cursory check and were busy rifling through their bags and holding up all the plant-based souvenirs (woven baskets and mats) for closer inspection...never mind what other interesting things they found.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by itigo
My brother was very disappointed when he came to visit. I had warned him to declare the Bisto he was bringing us. So he duly filled out the form and went through the declare channel. They really weren't interested. He told everyone he saw repeatedly and my sister in law said she started getting really embarrassed when he started adding in "but it's a beef product.......from the UK!" really loudly.

We got our Bisto but I think he'd have been more satisfied if they'd interrogated him or frisked him or summat.
When my mother was here last year, she apparently made a point of launching into a long lecture with the young fellow questioning her about why tinned pumpkin makes for better pies (I disagree, but she's from a time when canned food ruled the world and so she brought three huge tins of the stuff in her luggage because apparently I need it). The AQIS worker replied, "But we do have pumpkins here in Australia," to which she intoned, "But you haven't got them in cans, that's the problem."

He let her through with her stash. I swear those folks working at AQIS must have the best "guess how my day went" stories.

Last edited by Japonica; Jul 11th 2012 at 12:04 am.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I never bother declaring food - not that I bring much back, maybe the odd bar of chocolate or crisps in my hand luggage or whatever.

When I came back from trekking in south america I delcared that and they cleaned my walking boots until they were spotless for me
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I never bother declaring food - not that I bring much back, maybe the odd bar of chocolate or crisps in my hand luggage or whatever.

When I came back from trekking in south america I delcared that and they cleaned my walking boots until they were spotless for me
You really should declare ANY food. If they decide to xray or search your stuff and find it then you will almost certainly be fined, plus there will be a note on your records to check you carefully in future. Yes its a pain, but tjcking tbat box is less hassle than being caught.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:42 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Dont you watch border patrol/control/police.... Or whatever that crap show is that I dont watch?????<<

Compulsive viewing!

I just love it when a Chinese is asked if it's *her* bag - "Yes", whether she packed it - "Yes" - if everything in it is hers - "Yes", if anyone has put anything in it - "No".

Then the bag's opened, full of rotting food, insects, vegetables etc.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" she says - and suddenly doesn't understand English.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Last trip, I said, "the usual Canadian stuff..." to which he raised an eyebrow, and I replied, "You know, Frank's Hot Sauce and decent maple syrup."

Next trip back, hubby has put in a request to bring back that packaged Lipton noodle soup (Dorothy knows what I'm talking about). Get to declare that one too.
Last trip I brought back about 10 boxes of Crystal Light singles, 2 big bottles of Kraft blue cheese dressing, 2 bottles of Frank's, some Swiss Chalet sauce powder packets, a jar of bacon marmalade, a box of Skor bars and 3 Burnt Almond bars. I was seriously hoping they didn't confiscate my salad dressing or bacon marmalade but when they asked what food I had and I started rattling it all off the guy just rolled his eyes and waved me through before I could say I had the salad dressing or bacon.

I've given my sister a list of stuff to bring me when she comes in November. More Frank's, more Crystal Light, some Coffee Crisp and definitely more Skor bars.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:55 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

laser pointers and weapons are a big no no
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:58 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>Dont you watch border patrol/control/police.... Or whatever that crap show is that I dont watch?????<<

Compulsive viewing!

I just love it when a Chinese is asked if it's *her* bag - "Yes", whether she packed it - "Yes" - if everything in it is hers - "Yes", if anyone has put anything in it - "No".

Then the bag's opened, full of rotting food, insects, vegetables etc.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" she says - and suddenly doesn't understand English.
theres a similar show UK Border Force. they are on the lookout for fake students and lorry clandestines from calais.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We declared all our things when we came in. I have no idea what happened that day but a load of flights came in at once and the declare line was about 4 times longer than the nothing to declare. I was grumbling to myself the whole way through the queue about people bringing stuff in just to get in the 'shorter' queue. :-o
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevewales25
I am just wondering on how many people deliberately bring something to Australia when flying in and having some nuts/food or whatever that needs declaring to pass through airport checks quicker? A hell of a lot of people I know do this just wondered if anyone here does it and is it worth it?
If you don't declare something and don't get caught it's worth it. If you do get caught, your definition of "worth it" may be different to others...

Cheers

LG
Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
If you don't declare something and don't get caught it's worth it. If you do get caught, your definition of "worth it" may be different to others...

Cheers

LG
He isn't asking if he should declare, he's asking if its worth deliberately bringing something to declare as that queue may well be shorter than the 'nothing to declare' queue.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dreamy
He isn't asking if he should declare, he's asking if its worth deliberately bringing something to declare as that queue may well be shorter than the 'nothing to declare' queue.
Correct!!
But like I say I arrive from Singapore at 6.25am so can't see the airport being very busy anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.