Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

declaration of cash

declaration of cash

Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post declaration of cash

hello again

one quick question

supposingly if i m carrying 9k and my wife carrys 8k do we need to decalre it ?

regards

naufil
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: declaration of cash

Originally Posted by naufil
hello again

one quick question

regards

naufil
Yes. You can bring through $10,000 each person but you need to declare it. However, I don't think I would, can you not transfer it with a bank or Ozforex or similar? The idea of that much cash on my person in and out of airports would freak me out.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

hello again

one quick question

regards

naufil
$10,000 is the maximum without declaring, don't know if this is per person or per family.

It is not going to hurt you to ask on arrival to be on safe side.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4443.asp#items
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You may only have to declare amounts over $10,000 but if I were carrying $8,000 and $9,000 between myself and my partner I would still declare it. Better play safe in my opinion.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You may only have to declare amounts over $10,000 but if I were carrying $8,000 and $9,000 between myself and my partner I would still declare it. Better play safe in my opinion.
its $10,000 or more you need to declare, if fail to declare it and caught, you will be interviewed by the fedial police and could have the money taken away.

look on the internet for an Aussie show called Border Security. this issue comes up quite alot.

I found clips of it on youtube,

Last edited by wookiee06; Feb 18th 2010 at 8:13 am. Reason: wrong name
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:40 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

hello again

one quick question

regards

naufil
It certainly does no harm to make declarations of larger sums but as Moneypenny says, arranging a bank transfer would be better.
ANZ is one of the major Australian [and in fact an International Bank ] where you should be able to open an account even while in Pakistan.
http://www.anz.com/personal/travel-f...paring-africa/
Could be through ANZ Grindlay they have a direct presence.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n28674499/

With an account already opened, on arrival in Australia you would just need to go into a branch [pre-arranged], present your passport and they should have your access card so you can start accessing your funds.

A read of http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...-in-australia/ will give you a fair bit of useful information for arrival.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think regardless of the rules, carrying around that amount of cash is not something I would even contemplate. I wonder if you are being a little too trusting if you are thinking this is not a huge risk.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:47 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wookiee06
its $10,000 or more you need to declare, if fail to declare it and caught, you will be interviewed by the fedial police and could have the money taken away.

look on the internet for an Aussie show called Border Security. this issue comes up quite alot.

I found clips of it on youtube,
It's Federal Police wookiee, just for crookiees but lets not get too carried away for I'd not say it comes up a lot and about the only case I recall was a Chinese student bringing back money for her fees etc. and they let her keep it.

They were more interested in all the Chinese food goodies she didn't declare and I think she may have even been let off with a warning on that.

Just do not go packing any Pakistani homecooked treats naufil, especially meats, dairy or fruit and even stuff like raw nuts etc.
You can bring in some properly processed, packaged and labelled foodstuffs but do declare everything to save any incertainty.

Last edited by Ozwanderer; Feb 18th 2010 at 9:13 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozwanderer
It's Federal Police wookiee, just for crookiees but lets not get too carried away for I'd not say it comes up a lot and about the only case I recall was a Chinese student bringing back money for her fees etc. and they let her keep it.

They were more interested in all the Chinese food goodies she didn't declare and I think she may have even been let off with a warning on that.

Just do not go packing any Pakistani homecooked treats naufil, especially meats, dairy or fruit and even stuff like raw nuts etc.
You can bring in some properly processed, packaged and labelled foodstuffs but do declare everything to save any uncertainty.
this has been on the show many times not just her
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

vsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant future

Actually, quarantine and custom people randomly check, if they found a person suspected of having undeclared items, they go for thorough check of the bags and also patroling with dog is another way to determine undeclared items. But obviously dogs can't smell undeclared money

Originally Posted by wookiee06
this has been on the show many times not just her
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by vsuccess
Actually, quarantine and custom people randomly check, if they found a person suspected of having undeclared items, they go for thorough check of the bags and also patroling with dog is another way to determine undeclared items. But obviously dogs can't smell undeclared money
Unless that money happens to have been close to money that's been in contact with cocaine of course. I'm sure the OP is innocent but I should imagine that $15,000 in notes is actually carrying a fair amount of cocaine traces.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Smile Re: declaration of cash

thanks for all the valuable suggestion.. i chose to declare it ...

and i ll be thinking on the line of having it bnk transferred too..

regards

naufil
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by vsuccess
Random and targeted checks are a fact of entry regardless of undeclared items or not and something undeclared is only goingto be an issue if it should have been declared.
Some dogs are even trained to sniff out notes [ on new Customs show last night ] , in UK airport anyway and re
Unless that money happens to have been close to money that's been in contact with cocaine of course. I'm sure the OP is innocent but I should imagine that $15,000 in notes is actually carrying a fair amount of cocaine traces.
Not even any taint of drugs on the people though not sure if they bothered to check the money - maybe a new way of smuggling, some drug paper in a wad of notes.

Beagles in NZ could even sniff out the smell of orange peel after it had been emptied out of a plastic bag.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

hello again

one quick question

regards

naufil

Looks like up to now, you still have not opened an account to transfer your money and still trying to bring in cash with you. I remember you asked questions about opening an account and bringing money. I have already opened an account and transfered the money I was planning to bring. I listened to the advice. Good luck.

Last edited by H2fusion; Feb 18th 2010 at 3:09 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:11 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Indeed, the figure for the UK banknote stock is in the 90% region, only not 100% due to the continual introduction of new notes that are clean....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.