Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decent areas of Melbourne

Decent areas of Melbourne

Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decent areas of Melbourne

OH has just heard from a company he applied to a while ago and they have offered him a position, but it's in Melbourne. We're in Adelaide, so don't know where we should be looking for a place to live. Can someone in the know give us some idea of decent areas of Melbourne that aren't too expensive? Would love to be within about 35 to 40 minutes commute if possible. Ta.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:30 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent areas of Melbourne

Originally Posted by Dorothy
OH has just heard from a company he applied to a while ago and they have offered him a position, but it's in Melbourne. We're in Adelaide, so don't know where we should be looking for a place to live. Can someone in the know give us some idea of decent areas of Melbourne that aren't too expensive? Would love to be within about 35 to 40 minutes commute if possible. Ta.
Depends on what your idea of expensive is.? <$400K, $400K<>$600K, $600K+
Most places are decent and commutable within your 35 to 40 minutes. Would OH be located in the CBD? Are you after Estate living, by the sea, in the country, preference for tree lined?, want to be near clubs/pubs or cafes/parks.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hub will get company car and we would hope to be paying <$400k for a house. Mostly I'm after what areas to avoid. When we moved here we were told to avoid Elizabeth area.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:40 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hub will get company car and we would hope to be paying <$400k for a house. Mostly I'm after what areas to avoid. When we moved here we were told to avoid Elizabeth area.
My advise would be to consider Seaford in the coast - well within your price range but just alittle further than 40 mins but not too much further and this is on the Frankston main train line.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

We are 45 mins out on the edge of the Dandenongs - beautiful area if you like hills and forests, not so good if you want to be right next to the beach. Bay beaches are about 45 mins away. We love the area though. If you want anymore details let me know.

Though I would suggest driving around and around and around - I thought we'd definitely be near the beach until we visited this area and fell in love with it. It didn't take us long to get a feel for the right place.

I like Seaford and think you'd do well with your money - up and coming for sure. Still has a few rough looking roads, but plenty that are pleasant too. I did a lot of driving around there looking for rentals. I also think Chelsea Heights and Aspendale are nice if you want to be fairly close to the beach and Patterson Lakes has some nice properties. Mordialloc is great - but might be stretching the budget there a bit.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:51 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

This might help. RACV has just published some data on burglary hotspots for 2002 - 2005 that I've been meaning to put up. Should give you a hint as to where to avoid.

3067 Abbotsford 4
3975 Lyndhurst 4
3066 Collingwood 4
3023 Deer Park 5
3752 South Morang 5
3065 Fitzroy 5
3054 Carlton North 5
3052 Parkville 6
3019 Braybrook 6
3002 East Melbourne 6
3145 Malvern East/Darling 6
3053 Carlton South 6
3000 Melbourne City 6
3068 Clifton Hill 6
3003 West Melbourne 6
3012 W. Footscray/Maidstone 7
3011 Footscray 7
3020 Sunshine/Albion 7
3121 Richmond/Burnley 7
3804 Narre Warren North/East 7

These figures are number of households in the area per burglary. ie 1 in 4 or 1 in 7.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:04 pm
Still alive

Thanks, everyone. That's what I love about this place. You ask a question and you're sure to get lots of answers. Now panic is setting in. We would have to move by the first week in January so that means packing up all the stuff we just unpacked 6 weeks ago.
BTW, does anyone want a rental in Klemzig, Adelaide? Brand new 3 bedroom house, 15 minutes to the CBD right on the O-Bahn and 10 months to go on the lease
Old Nov 29th 2006, 4:53 pm
superam74

We've recently bought a house in Chelsea Heights for $287k (3 bedroom, double garage) ok it wasn't in best condition when we bought it but I think that's the price range around here. We're less than a mile away from the beach, pubs ,KFC ,Dominos pizza, Dan Murphy's liquor store, DIY superstore.etc

Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:19 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Crow
We are 45 mins out on the edge of the Dandenongs - beautiful area if you like hills and forests, not so good if you want to be right next to the beach. Bay beaches are about 45 mins away. We love the area though. If you want anymore details let me know.

Though I would suggest driving around and around and around - I thought we'd definitely be near the beach until we visited this area and fell in love with it. It didn't take us long to get a feel for the right place.

I like Seaford and think you'd do well with your money - up and coming for sure. Still has a few rough looking roads, but plenty that are pleasant too. I did a lot of driving around there looking for rentals. I also think Chelsea Heights and Aspendale are nice if you want to be fairly close to the beach and Patterson Lakes has some nice properties. Mordialloc is great - but might be stretching the budget there a bit.
The beaches in melbourne are crap in my opinion, crowded polluted, however travel one hour or more outside Melbourne east or west, some of the best beaches and scenic coastline in OZ, If l was going to live in Melbourne l would definitently live in the Dandenongs, beautiful mountains , forests and green countryside. The Dandenongs would be the only place l would live in Melbourne if l was going to live there.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Nov 29th 2006 at 5:24 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The beaches in melbourne are crap in my opinion, crowded polluted, however travel one hour or more outside Melbourne east or west, some of the best beaches and scenic coastline in OZ, If l was going to live in Melbourne l would definitently live in the Dandenongs, beautiful mountains , forests and green countryside. The Dandenongs would be the only place l would live in Melbourne if l was going to live there.
actually not a bad summary, but there are other nice places I would live, but only quite close to the city - if you have the money(!)

To be honest, I would avoid the outer SE of Melbourne - near the new freeway - its all too new - UNLESS you are semi-rural. But it's highly personal.

Some of the places inthat burglary hotspot list are highly desirable and no amount of burglary would put me off.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
I've never seen Chelsea or Seaford beaches crowded (I've been there with the girls in 25oC and been there on our own..) and visually the water is crystal clear - no doubt there is pollution as it's a bay with industry. I know there are better beaches in Australia - but compared to Weston-super-Mud (our closest beach from Bristol! )