Reload this Page >

decent areas to live in melbourne

decent areas to live in melbourne

Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

secret squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default decent areas to live in melbourne

Hi,

me and my partner are making the switch from perth to melbourne and are looking for some advice on where to live. We've visited a few times but arn't too clued up on the suburbs. We are looking to keep reasonably close to the city as we like going out and the music scene etc, anything more lively than perth (everyones entitled to their opinion before you pull on the white hoods and light the flaming torches)

We like the look of south yarra but it's a little expensive to rent. We are looking at 350 a week or less and arn't too fussed as long as it has 2 bed rooms and isn't a dump And if there arn't too many hoons even better!!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:50 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: decent areas to live in melbourne

Speak to Wierdstone and Shakmaty - they live close to the city and would be well placed to advise you on good areas that are affordable
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by secret squirrel
Hi,

me and my partner are making the switch from perth to melbourne and are looking for some advice on where to live. We've visited a few times but arn't too clued up on the suburbs. We are looking to keep reasonably close to the city as we like going out and the music scene etc, anything more lively than perth (everyones entitled to their opinion before you pull on the white hoods and light the flaming torches)

We like the look of south yarra but it's a little expensive to rent. We are looking at 350 a week or less and arn't too fussed as long as it has 2 bed rooms and isn't a dump And if there arn't too many hoons even better!!
We live in and love Williamstown which is a beautiful suburb with marina, beaches and wonderful cafes/bars etc. We're a 20 min drive to the centre. Go to www.realestate.com.au and use postcode 3016 and you'll see availabilities. Good luck!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

we are thinking about moving to rosebud my OH has alot of family in the area but id be interested to here what other people think of the area

were only at the very very early stages however
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simo429
we are thinking about moving to rosebud my OH has alot of family in the area but id be interested to here what other people think of the area

were only at the very very early stages however
we have a holiday home in Rye- the next 'burb to Rosebud.
I really like the area, and it is not too crowded but....

-if you plan to work in the city, it would be a hugely long drive. Nearest train is Frankston- about 25 mins drive and then an hour on the train to CBD.
-In the summer, it seems that the whole of Australia descends upon the area and sets up camp on the foreshore from Nov to Easter.
- in the winter it suddenly empties, and many shops seem to close down. (still is a big new shopping mall in Rosebud which is not seasonal).

We usually use our holiday home a fair bit, but it is not practical for us to live there full time, as it is 1.5hours drive- out of rush hour.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by secret squirrel
Hi,

I hear Toorak is nice

Last edited by CharleneG; Mar 25th 2008 at 9:47 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:46 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CharleneG
I hear Toorak is nice
Bit different to Rochdale though .

Used to work in the Spring Inn...miss those Deep fried mushrooms, you can't get those in Melbourne!

LJJ
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:02 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Speak to Wierdstone and Shakmaty - they live close to the city and would be well placed to advise you on good areas that are affordable
We've walked to the CBD, but it took about 4 hours

Good burbs around the city....

Fitzroy
Carlton
North Melbourne
Richmond
South Yarra
South Melbourne
Port Melbourne

Not too much further out, but also worth a look if you like the lifestyle...

St Kilda (not to everyones taste)
Hawthorn/Kew
Malvern
Windsor/St Kilda East
Northcote
Brunswick
Kensington
Yarraville

Here's some to be going on with. Still, I'd rent somewhere short term with an idea to finding the ideal place for you.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

AMBER will become famous soon enough

Hi,
Can anyone advise me what areas are good for children, with schools ect.
Thanks Amber
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AMBER
Hi,
Thanks Amber
Williamstown. Refer to my earlier email for properties etc...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:33 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AMBER
Hi,
Thanks Amber
Too many to break down without further info from you. What are you looking for/your priorities?

Close to work which will be where?
Near the beach?
In the hills?
Cafe culture/city life?
Children's ages?
Rent or buy?
Private/state/religious educational establishments?

There are lots of factors involved in choosing an area, and Melbourne is geographically huge. And then, even if someone was able to fit all your criteria, on visiting the place you stil might not like the feel of it

Sorry to hassle you, but the best idea is probably to narrow the search down to a few areas which best fit your most important criteria, and then try to rent for a short while when you first arrive and check them out. If you are more specific in what you want, we can give you more specific advice
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ljj
Bit different to Rochdale though .

Used to work in the Spring Inn...miss those Deep fried mushrooms, you can't get those in Melbourne!

LJJ
Ah we are the other side of town in Whitworth.

We have a while to go before we need to worry about which burb to pick but after having a quick look at property (generalisation here) the south east seems to be pretty expensive to oh my god how much? unless you are miles out from CBD eg Frankston, where as the west seems to be much less expensive as a rule and there are some big new builds in places like Sanctuary lakes and Point Cook.

Is the East as maligned as people say?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:23 am
Just Joined

charliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you should check out www.cityhobo.com

it's started expanding into Melbourne and the number of suburb profiles it's done is growing steadily.

Kensington is a good place.St Kilda is popular with younger people into the music scene. Or you can try Prahran or Richmond, Carlton, Fitzroy, Collingwood. Toorak is very rich, very pricey and for older people. Like any Australian city, the closer you are to the city centre, the better the transport, shopping, choice of schools, places to go out etc.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:24 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by CharleneG
Ah we are the other side of town in Whitworth.

We have a while to go before we need to worry about which burb to pick but after having a quick look at property (generalisation here) the south east seems to be pretty expensive to oh my god how much? unless you are miles out from CBD eg Frankston, where as the west seems to be much less expensive as a rule and there are some big new builds in places like Sanctuary lakes and Point Cook.

Is the East as maligned as people say?
Depends what you mean by east. Hawthorn is an eastern suburb, and so is Ringwood, as well as all the stuff in-between. There's good and bad like everywhere. Surrey Hills and Mount Waverley have become desirable due to the good schools, for example, whereas Box Hill is always described as a bit of a dive (not my personal opinion, but I've never lived there).
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Depends what you mean by east. Hawthorn is an eastern suburb, and so is Ringwood, as well as all the stuff in-between. There's good and bad like everywhere. Surrey Hills and Mount Waverley have become desirable due to the good schools, for example, whereas Box Hill is always described as a bit of a dive (not my personal opinion, but I've never lived there).
Thanks for that, just noticed I posted is the East as maligned as people say when I actually meant the west.
Somebody was tired when they posted that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.