debts or not

Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: debts or not

If there's pizza could we leave the anchovies and capers off please.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:00 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Love these threads, so have subscribed to see the fall out.

My two cents though would be that if you can pay (even a little bit at a time) then you should. You borrowed it, you pay it back.. it's fairly straightforward in most cases. That's just my opinion though and I know others would disagree.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

samjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nice

Its people like you that have put this country into recession, instead of blaming the bankers let look at the irresponsible borrowers who can't be bothered to pay off the debts they have racked up. If you can't afford to pay it off, emigrating should be the last thing you should be doing. How do you think you will afford to live there, if you can't live within your means here? Heres my advise, neither a borrower nor a leander be. If you havent got at least £50,000 to emigrate with, don't or you'll just end up on here in 12 months time moaning about the cost of living and being trapped with no money to go home.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeanettetlw
do i bring my debts with me or do i say sod it and leave them in blighty,any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks,jeanettetlw
If your back is absolutely on the wall, I'd say just quit.... banks do make allowances for distressed customers. Afterall, your life is more important than anything else.

BUT, if you can afford to pay it back, please do so by all means.
Otherwise, the guilt will haunt you foreever. Some people (who don't ask such a question on BE forum) could handle it, but trust me you can't.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:50 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

do i bring my debts with me or do i say sod it and leave them in blighty,any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks,jeanettetlw
Depending on the debt, keep your head down in Oz for at least 6 years and stay off social networking websites that have your contact details.

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/...tation_act.php
Old Mar 14th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by samjones1999
Its people like you that have put this country into recession, instead of blaming the bankers let look at the irresponsible borrowers who can't be bothered to pay off the debts they have racked up. If you can't afford to pay it off, emigrating should be the last thing you should be doing. How do you think you will afford to live there, if you can't live within your means here? Heres my advise, neither a borrower nor a leander be. If you havent got at least £50,000 to emigrate with, don't or you'll just end up on here in 12 months time moaning about the cost of living and being trapped with no money to go home.
£50,000,,well that means not many of us could ever get 2 australia, what a load of rubbish! and btw we know nothing about the op, everyone is quick to judge, i agree that the op should make some arrangements to try & pay. best make ur own choices only you can know what you want or need 2 do.

bluekipper
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

jd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant future

I hate when people get on their high horse with these kinds of threads. Everyone`s situation is different and who am I to pass judgement on anyone else over their debts.

I'll tell you one thing and that is I certainly won't shed any tears for the banks and any losses they would incur over people walking away from UK debts. They wouldn't shed any for us.

It`s a bit off topic but these same banks operate everyday in a world where their actions cannot be called anything other than fraud! If any of us were to try some of these tricks we would be locked up but when the banksters do it, it`s ok because that`s just how the "system works".

Don't forget the Banks walk away from debt all of the time and it`s considered part of business.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:32 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had 50,000 when I moved here! I didn't even have 5,000!

I think the OP should just leave the debts, afterall it's only money, who cares.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

It's unlikely to be passed onto an Aussie debt collection agency and even if it is there is little they can do, you should pay it if you can but I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it if you don't, after all it was only the greed of the banks that made them loan you the money, they didn't do it because they felt sorry for you or just wanted to help you out because they're nice, they take the chance and sometimes they lose.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its always such a lovely gift to your family and friends to bog off not paying your debts, they can then remember you everytime they are contacted by debt collecting heavies about where youve moved too.

Nicer than sending flowers
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its always such a lovely gift to your family and friends to bog off not paying your debts, they can then remember you everytime they are contacted by debt collecting heavies about where youve moved too.

Nicer than sending flowers
Under the data protection act, your family or friends cannot be told about your debts. They may contact them to ask for your details, but they can't say who they are or why they are calling.

To the OP. Personally, you took out the loan, you should pay it back - if its hard then pay back just a bit, but pay it back eventually at least.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Under the data protection act, your family or friends cannot be told about your debts. They may contact them to ask for your details, but they can't say who they are or why they are calling.
Ive seen all that written on here many times however....

We recently had tenants who skipped a pile of debt ( we got ours- rental bond ) anyway, 6 months later the new tenants were still be bombarded by mail from banks, courts and lawyers, debt collectors, 'representatives' of certain companies, armed police officers with a warrant. I dont suppose for one second any of them blurted out exactly what it was for but it doesnt take much to work out they werent coming round for a cup of tea.

Couple of companies also sent demands for the money to A: myself as landlord and B: 'occupier of the house' - the new tenant of course opened the mail. Full details of whats owed the works.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If there's pizza could we leave the anchovies and capers off please.
Why doesn't anyone like anchovies? Capers I can live without!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
armed police officers with a warrant.
That was obviously for something much more than a debt.

As for mail, if you are getting someone elses mail for their debt, how does it hassle you? just throw it in the bin, it can't damgage your credit rating.

At my old place I used to always get letters for the previous tennants debts, I simply put "not at this address" I then recieved more, so made a complaint to the ombudsman, never recieved any again.

Not my debt, not my problem... why worry about it. Only the person who owns the debt will have their credit rating dammaged, no one else.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by canadaeh
That was obviously for something much more than a debt.

As for mail, if you are getting someone elses mail for their debt, how does it hassle you? just throw it in the bin, it can't damgage your credit rating.

At my old place I used to always get letters for the previous tennants debts, I simply put "not at this address" I then recieved more, so made a complaint to the ombudsman, never recieved any again.

Not my debt, not my problem... why worry about it. Only the person who owns the debt will have their credit rating dammaged, no one else.
No. Debt. The agency who manage the property were also contacted and questioned by the police.

I got the distinct impression companies here dont just let the debt 'go'. The company who tried to get us to pay the bill were chasing a mere $436.

I assume some of the other debt was larger and at least one company obviously took it from letters to lawyers to court to police. It took several months to escalate but more than one company were like a dog with a bone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.