debt in uk

Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

ALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: debt in uk

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Without getting into a full blown row, there are some arguments that say if you cant afford to pay back then dont borrow.

From the banks point of view, its their money until its paid back.
Hi Rugbymatt,

I understand your point entirely , and I don't think any of us are trying to encourage people to leave their debts behind. It's just there are some people on here that really get my back up. Unless they've been in this situation then they really shouldn't comment.

And yes, it is the bank/creditors money until the debt has been paid back, but many interest rates are so ridiculously high that you end up paying the bank 3 or 4 times what you originally borrowed.

And before anyone starts telling me that this is made clear BEFORE you take out the loan, I know. But for some this is the only option. The debt just gets bigger and bigger and I can really understand why some people see no alternative but to up-sticks and move from the UK. For the MAJORITY I really sympathise.

I say majority because there are always exceptions, such as people who purposely take loans/max credit cards because they know they will be leaving the UK!!!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:50 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: debt in uk

Originally Posted by brissydeb
they have your passport number and can trace you wherever you are in the world and chase your debt.
Not true...

As I said earlier in this thread...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:51 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia
Read above guys... This guy knows what he is taking about.

Passport records are strictly taboo and that information is not shared outside immigation and the security services.

Absolutely, but the second you register for a phone line then your name is passed through credit agencies and they have you!

My oldest school friend is a securities consultant for the major high street banks and the information he can access is shocking!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:30 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

look at it this way, the money that Me, possibly you and other people borrow mostly dont even belong to the banks! its actually customers money in their accounts that get borrowed by customers. So lets say you decide to say to the bank i have had no less than £1000 in my account for many years so the next guy that comes along and borrows £1000 from you i would i am happy to give to you ( the bank) a percentage of the interest you will get from this guy for my £1000 you just lent him, what do you think they would say?

Also i would like to mention for many years ( not so much now) if you put money into your bank account and lets say you had a direct debit coming off the next day if you didnt let them know that you needed the money to go to your account immediately then the direct debit would be returned as you didnt have the money in your account! WHERE WAS THAT MONEY DURING THE 3 DAYS? i will tell you where it was! laying in a bank account gaining interest for THE BANK!

SO, IS IT THEIR MONEY? ARE THEY FAIR? like F***

No shouting here, just to highlight points

just my 2 bob`s worth

Without getting into a full blown row, there are some arguments that say if you cant afford to pay back then dont borrow.

From the banks point of view, its their money until its paid back.

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Dec 5th 2006 at 10:39 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:32 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

I have a friend who had debts due to a nasty divorce settlement and left the debts behind to start a new life in Oz. No come back at all and the debt was over 10K !!! This was over 2 years ago now

I would be very suprised to hear if the banks/creditors will come over to Oz for that little amount. What can they do? Fly her back to the UK???? Think not!

Im not one for encouraging that sort of thing but good luck to her.....she has a new life now

Absolutely, but the second you register for a phone line then your name is passed through credit agencies and they have you!

My oldest school friend is a securities consultant for the major high street banks and the information he can access is shocking!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:35 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought i would mention that i receive a leaflet through my door today! i didnt ask for it but it offers a great value loan with a percentage rate of.......... wait for this

177% APR

Originally Posted by ALISON
Hi Rugbymatt,

I understand your point entirely , and I don't think any of us are trying to encourage people to leave their debts behind. It's just there are some people on here that really get my back up. Unless they've been in this situation then they really shouldn't comment.

And yes, it is the bank/creditors money until the debt has been paid back, but many interest rates are so ridiculously high that you end up paying the bank 3 or 4 times what you originally borrowed.

And before anyone starts telling me that this is made clear BEFORE you take out the loan, I know. But for some this is the only option. The debt just gets bigger and bigger and I can really understand why some people see no alternative but to up-sticks and move from the UK. For the MAJORITY I really sympathise.

I say majority because there are always exceptions, such as people who purposely take loans/max credit cards because they know they will be leaving the UK!!!

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Dec 5th 2006 at 10:39 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

ALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of lightALISON is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: debt in uk

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Just thought i wouldmention that i receive a leaflet through my door today! i didnt ask for it but it offers a great value loan with a percentage rate of.......... wait for this

177% APR

My point exactly! For some people it is impossible to get low APR loans, so this is the sort of thing they have to go with. It's a disgrace that companies should be allowed to get away with this! I have received a £30 charge from NATIONWIDE today because a direct debit made me 26 PENCE overdrawn!!!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:03 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Rip off Britain!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:

I can now totally understand why people leave behind there debts in the UK!

My point exactly! For some people it is impossible to get low APR loans, so this is the sort of thing they have to go with. It's a disgrace that companies should be allowed to get away with this! I have received a £30 charge from NATIONWIDE today because a direct debit made me 26 PENCE overdrawn!!!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:29 pm
UK is Home

Exactly! And if it had went the other way and they didnt honour the direct debit they would have still chaarged you £30+ for Admin costs! just got one for £39 cause i was a few pence short on that day Even though the money went in that day they said that the direct debit comes off at bank opening times and wages went in minutes later.

They will get you one way or another!

SO! GOOD LUCK TO ALL whatever you decide to do,

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Dec 5th 2006 at 11:32 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:38 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

You can do something about this... and get your money back...

Check out this link to see how... There was also a thread on here a while back about how to do this...

Good luck...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rodders39

Check out this link to see how... There was also a thread on here a while back about how to do this...

Good luck...
Hi Rodders,

Thanks for that. I'm actually in the process of reclaiming my bank charges at the moment...keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39

Good luck...
Wow, how good is that link. Very interesting
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Its all a very different world we live in now. Materialistic one at that. Years ago when I started out we saved up for stuff, now you just wack it on the credit card and worry about it later. My brother owes nearly 20k pounds, buying stuff for the house, clothes etc. A lot of the time getting into debt is a choice you make not something that is thrust upon you by accident and thats not me getting on my high horse, just stating an opinion. To me morally its wrong running away from your debts but thats a decision made by individuals and its up to them what they do.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:03 am
UK is Home

Dont you think its morally wrong for these Banks/Loan Companies/CC Companies to rip us off like the percentage rate i mentioned in previous post?

Just an opinion of-course

No matter what happens in life i believe what goes around comes around, just my opinion

Originally Posted by northernbird
Its all a very different world we live in now. Materialistic one at that. Years ago when I started out we saved up for stuff, now you just wack it on the credit card and worry about it later. My brother owes nearly 20k pounds, buying stuff for the house, clothes etc. A lot of the time getting into debt is a choice you make not something that is thrust upon you by accident and thats not me getting on my high horse, just stating an opinion. To me morally its wrong running away from your debts but thats a decision made by individuals and its up to them what they do.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Dont you think its morally wrong for these Banks/Loan Companies/CC Companies to rip us off like the percentage rate i mentioned in previous post?

Just an opinion of-course

No matter what happens in life i believe what goes around comes around, just my opinion
Yes I do think its morally wrong but you don't have to take the loan or have a credit card, they are not compulsory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.