Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

De Facto Spouse needs a Visa!

De Facto Spouse needs a Visa!

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

AntandJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default De Facto Spouse needs a Visa!

Coming to Aus in January 2004 with my partner who has secured a job and sponsorship for a year, she's a Doctor, with a view to staying for good if it's as great as we expect it to be. I however, will not be allowed to work if I come over on her Visa (442 Occupational Trainee) as her de facto partner. I work in Advertising Sales and this is not considered to be a worthwhile occupation so it looks as though I am gonna be stumped for money. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might legally be able to find work to help support our household, after all the Australians want her job skills to fill a gap in the Aussie market so why should we have to live in relative poverty! There must be a way to allow me to sweep the streets or unblock toilets somewhere?!?!?
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 6:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is a Working Holiday Visa a possibility for you? I think there are age restrictions on it, but might be worth looking into.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:16 am
Just Joined

I wish a working holiday visa were the answer but I am a bit of an old duffer now at 32!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:18 am
WBB

Originally posted by AntandJane
I wish a working holiday visa were the answer but I am a bit of an old duffer now at 32!

old at 32... that means i only have 2 years left

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Apparently you are only eligible for the working visa upto the age of 30. It's took me this long to save up to go there, now I can afford it they no longer want me! Oh woe is me!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Ant
Hi I was just wondering how your girlfriend found out about immigration as I have a couple of friends that are Dotors and they want to go to Oz but though that Docs were not needed. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Debs
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:27 am
Just Joined

There seems to be loads of work for Docs, my girlfriend applied directly to her hospital of choice because the particular hospital was affiliated to one of the Medical governing bodies back in the UK meaning the training counts towards her career progression in the UK. She found the job advertised on the Hospitals own website and went through the application process directly through the hospitals HR dept. However there are loads of medical recruitment agencies, try
http://www.wave.com.au
or
http://www.medicstravel.co.uk/Dr-Rec...n_australi.htm
or
http://www.edenbrown.co.nz/

I have a couple of friends who are currently working in Perth in Medicine and another one who is about to land in Darwin any minute now! So the work is out there. Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

thanks ant