Days Off in Oz.

Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:00 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Days Off in Oz.

None of the job ad's tell you how many days off you get.

Is it about the same as UK - more is good, less means more sickies.

Paul.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Days Off in Oz.

Originally posted by diddy

Paul.
In many jobs you are entitled to NO holiday until you have worked a year. It is retrospective.

Check these things out before you sign.

Paid Sick leave is very limited

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Paul.
he, he...20 days is standard holiday allowance.

paid sick leave in Oz? What's that then?
seriously, a lot of companies in Oz have a limit on the amount of paid sick leave (the company I worked for was 5 days paid then unpaid...this was a city financial firm too). I can only speak from experience of two companies tho re sick leave
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul.

The only experience I can really call upon is if you work for the Government...and even that might have changed these days as I left in 98.

I got 20 days Annual Leave, 10 days full paid sick and 10 days half paid sick plus was on flexi time and also was entitled to "Special Leave" which you can use for things like picking up ill children or bereavment leave etc....

After 10 yrs, got 3 months Long Service Leave...

Things have changed, it seems in Oz...from memory...the conditions were better there, than here in the UK....~shrugs~

People used to get RDO's (Rostered Days Off)...usually 1 per month on top of holidays and other benefits....

Hels
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

But having said that....that was before the big push on Casuals....which I understand from reading on here...is the main way to be employed in Oz now....

Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hels
The only experience I can really call upon is if you work for the Government...and even that might have changed these days as I left in 98.

I got 20 days Annual Leave, 10 days full paid sick and 10 days half paid sick plus was on flexi time and also was entitled to "Special Leave" which you can use for things like picking up ill children or bereavment leave etc....

After 10 yrs, got 3 months Long Service Leave...

Things have changed, it seems in Oz...from memory...the conditions were better there, than here in the UK....~shrugs~

People used to get RDO's (Rostered Days Off)...usually 1 per month on top of holidays and other benefits....

Hels
The weirdest thing I've heard from the Aussies I work with, is that they get to 'carry' their sick days. So if you don't use your allocation of 10 sick days in one year, you can use them the next. They almost treat them like holidays, a guy (he was my boss) said he was taking a long vacation (months) because he had built up 30 vacation days and 40 sick days!?

So a big long holiday, and then a bout of bangalore belly or something coming up i assume.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by JackTheLad
The weirdest thing I've heard from the Aussies I work with, is that they get to 'carry' their sick days. So if you don't use your allocation of 10 sick days in one year, you can use them the next. They almost treat them like holidays, a guy (he was my boss) said he was taking a long vacation (months) because he had built up 30 vacation days and 40 sick days!?

So a big long holiday, and then a bout of bangalore belly or something coming up i assume.

Cheers,
JTL

~laughing~

Yup...I have done that on a few occassions....

I must admit, the Government was one of the best employers to work for....Flexitime was a wonderful invention!!!

I will be trying to get back into a Government job when I get home....So flexible so you can make your work suit your lifestyle....ahhh...Utopia!!

Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:32 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Paul.

Conditions here are much worse. I get 20 days A/L and 10 days sick and you need a note for them and that costs to see a doctor.

I also have to take 15 days at xmas which leaves me with 5 that I can take when I want to. I am going to the UK for a wedding next june so I will be taking a lot of unpaid leave.

Jo
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:35 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Hahahaha, you guys crack me up. None of you work in the US then. Holidays and sick pay are up to the employer. There's no law dictating awards or sick leave entitlements. Most vacations (leave) people take are unpaid.

Australia, on the other hand, is a gimme place is there ever was one. So savour it while it's there.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I get 6 hrs sick leave per month, which gradually but slowly builds up; can carry it forward but after 2 days off I need a sick note so can't use it as extra holiday.
In theory I get a rostered day off a month, but until today I've had to use them all as sick days so have't actually had a day off to enjoy, except public holidays, since the beginning of Jan.
4 weeks holiday per year - BUT I can't use it until after I have been with the company a year. Then I am now told I have to fit with the holidays of everyone else in the department, about 12 people, all having 4 weeks or more to use, and being the dogsbody I am not allowed to overlap with anyone........ do the maths and work out why I'm looking for a new job!!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

I am on permanent contract with a construction company here in Perth and get:

20 days holiday.
10 days SICK leave. Yes, this is CUMULATIVE..ie can be carried into next year etc
2 days family bereavement...

Seem to me to be the standard contract here.

muzza
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:23 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pollyana
I get 6 hrs sick leave per month, which gradually but slowly builds up; can carry it forward but after 2 days off I need a sick note so can't use it as extra holiday.
In theory I get a rostered day off a month, but until today I've had to use them all as sick days so have't actually had a day off to enjoy, except public holidays, since the beginning of Jan.
4 weeks holiday per year - BUT I can't use it until after I have been with the company a year. Then I am now told I have to fit with the holidays of everyone else in the department, about 12 people, all having 4 weeks or more to use, and being the dogsbody I am not allowed to overlap with anyone........ do the maths and work out why I'm looking for a new job!!!!!
That setup has been in existence since they introduced 20 days paid leave a year. No offense, Polly, but did you look into any of this before you moved over?

Get another job and you'll be starting again.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 5:27 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

The no leave for a year thing really annoys me.. The companies here just don't seem to trust the employee.

My wifes new job on the other hand is great. 25 days hol, and she can take it when she likes.... Tis Government work you see....
Old Jul 16th 2004, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough

That's true, Ulujain, here in the states it's a bit different. Many places will give you a week of vacation after one year, but it will take two or even five years to get two or three weeks vacation. A doctor's note after two days sick is standard. If you even get sick days. They are a bit of a luxury.

Paula
Old Jul 16th 2004, 6:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
That setup has been in existence since they introduced 20 days paid leave a year. No offense, Polly, but did you look into any of this before you moved over?

Get another job and you'll be starting again.
no iffence to you Ulujain, but how could I look into it when the job wasn't even advertised till after I got here!Most of the people I knew here before migrating have been in jobs for years, and they have all expressed surprise at the no holiday for a year rule when i told them.
Its not that so much though, its the fact that the boss now says I cannot have leave if it overlaps with any other person on leave or RDOs. I said that doesn't leave many days, and he said I can probably fit in the odd day here or there.....good thing I'm too broke to go to the UK!
I knw I'll be starting again if I move, but if I don't manage to move I won't get to take holidays anyway, so whats the difference!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.